Re: [John_Lit] Gospel of John Movie?

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2011
      I've occasionally used clips of it in teaching, Paul. There are lots of
      things to like about it. One masterstroke is the way it deals with the
      apparent narrative seam at 14.31 (par. Mark 14.42 // Matt. 26.46), "Come
      now, let us leave" before Jesus goes on for another three chapters. Jesus
      and the disciples all get up, leave where they were eating and go outside
      into the garden, look at the vines, and Jesus says, "I am the true vine; my
      father is the gardener" (15.1)! I really like the fact that the narrative
      constraints of the film (to tell it sequentially) force them to provide a
      dramatically workable, narratively coherent solution to one of the oddities
      in the text.

      All best
      Mark

      On 29 March 2011 18:29, Paul Anderson <panderso@...> wrote:

      > Dear Colleagues,
      >
      > I've been using (for a second year) the Gospel of John in local church
      > settings, dividing it up into six half-hour sessions in which we watch 30
      > minutes or so of the film and spend another 20-30 minutes discussing "what
      > we have seen and heard." The discussions have been really engaging, and
      > they
      > provide a springboard into critical issues as well as applicational ones
      > quite readily.
      >
      > Have others used this film or others effectively, and if so, any comments
      > on
      > what is helpful for popular audiences?
      >
      > Thanks so much!
      >
      > Paul Anderson

      Mark Goodacre
      Duke University
      Department of Religion
      Gray Building / Box 90964
      Durham, NC 27708-0964 USA
      Phone: 919-660-3503 Fax: 919-660-3530

      http://www.markgoodacre.org

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2011
        Excellent point, Mark (and effectively challenging the basis for seeing chs.
        15-17 as an addition--George Parsenios would appreciate that), although I'm
        still inclined to stay with Barnabas Lindars on the supplementary material
        plausibly added later, and this being a part of it. It could indeed be "the
        sermon in the alley" (or, in the vineyard) after all (although the text does
        not claim such).

        An engaging feature regarding John 7 and 8 is the use of hyperbole and
        humor--the Jerusalem crowd's laughing about Jesus regarding claims to be
        greater/older than Moses/Abraham are laced with humor in ways that seem
        insightful.

        One feature that also works extremely well is the presentation of flashbacks
        to things that had happened/been said earlier in the narrative. The
        rendering of such in black and white is especially effective, functioning to
        give the impressions of echoes of earlier material.

        Paul Anderson