Gospel of John Movie?

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2011
      Dear Colleagues,

      I've been using (for a second year) the Gospel of John in local church
      settings, dividing it up into six half-hour sessions in which we watch 30
      minutes or so of the film and spend another 20-30 minutes discussing "what
      we have seen and heard." The discussions have been really engaging, and they
      provide a springboard into critical issues as well as applicational ones
      quite readily.

      Have others used this film or others effectively, and if so, any comments on
      what is helpful for popular audiences?

      Thanks so much!

      Paul Anderson

    • Mark Goodacre
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2011
        I've occasionally used clips of it in teaching, Paul. There are lots of
        things to like about it. One masterstroke is the way it deals with the
        apparent narrative seam at 14.31 (par. Mark 14.42 // Matt. 26.46), "Come
        now, let us leave" before Jesus goes on for another three chapters. Jesus
        and the disciples all get up, leave where they were eating and go outside
        into the garden, look at the vines, and Jesus says, "I am the true vine; my
        father is the gardener" (15.1)! I really like the fact that the narrative
        constraints of the film (to tell it sequentially) force them to provide a
        dramatically workable, narratively coherent solution to one of the oddities
        in the text.

        All best
        Mark

        On 29 March 2011 18:29, Paul Anderson <panderso@...> wrote:

        > Dear Colleagues,
        >
        > I've been using (for a second year) the Gospel of John in local church
        > settings, dividing it up into six half-hour sessions in which we watch 30
        > minutes or so of the film and spend another 20-30 minutes discussing "what
        > we have seen and heard." The discussions have been really engaging, and
        > they
        > provide a springboard into critical issues as well as applicational ones
        > quite readily.
        >
        > Have others used this film or others effectively, and if so, any comments
        > on
        > what is helpful for popular audiences?
        >
        > Thanks so much!
        >
        > Paul Anderson

        Mark Goodacre
        Duke University
        Department of Religion
        Gray Building / Box 90964
        Durham, NC 27708-0964 USA
        Phone: 919-660-3503 Fax: 919-660-3530

        http://www.markgoodacre.org

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2011
          Excellent point, Mark (and effectively challenging the basis for seeing chs.
          15-17 as an addition--George Parsenios would appreciate that), although I'm
          still inclined to stay with Barnabas Lindars on the supplementary material
          plausibly added later, and this being a part of it. It could indeed be "the
          sermon in the alley" (or, in the vineyard) after all (although the text does
          not claim such).

          An engaging feature regarding John 7 and 8 is the use of hyperbole and
          humor--the Jerusalem crowd's laughing about Jesus regarding claims to be
          greater/older than Moses/Abraham are laced with humor in ways that seem
          insightful.

          One feature that also works extremely well is the presentation of flashbacks
          to things that had happened/been said earlier in the narrative. The
          rendering of such in black and white is especially effective, functioning to
          give the impressions of echoes of earlier material.

          Paul Anderson