Re: [John_Lit] Order in John

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , May 4, 2000
      In a message dated 5/4/2000 3:59:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      Peter.Hofrichter@... writes:

      << The contrary is the case. The Gospel of Joh shows the original order and
      place of the cleansing of the temple. According to Mal 3,1-3 the coming
      of the messanger of God will be immediately to the temple.>>

      Is this discourse intended to persuade? I find it ideological and apodictic.
      Perhaps John puts the story of the cleansing of the temple first BECAUSE
      "according to Mal 3 the coming of the messenger will be immediately to the
      temple". This would suggest that the position is theological, rather than
      historical, as I wrote.

      Matt and Lk at least among the synoptics certainly seem to have been written
      years before John, which in so many respects is a continuation and
      prolongation of theological directions begun by Matthew and moved forward by
      Luke.

      Leonard Maluf
    • Stephen C. Carlson
      Message 2 of 28 , May 4, 2000
        At 06:49 PM 5/4/00 EDT, Maluflen@... wrote:
        >In a message dated 5/4/2000 4:39:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        >ind.fin.choices@... writes:
        >
        ><< Perhaps the "wrong order" is the Fourth Gospel in the Elder's mind and not
        > the Second Gospel, since the "right order" would be the one where 3 gospels
        > agree.
        > >>

        >Ken, do I read you right to be saying that Papias thought Mark was the author
        >of the Fourth Gospel?

        Parker, Pierson, "John and John Mark," JBL 79/2 (1960), floated the suggestion
        that the John Mark mentioned in Acts is the author of the Fourth Gospel. As I
        recall, Parker's thesis could not explain very well who Papias' John was.

        Stephen Carlson
        Stephen C. Carlson
        scarlson@...
      • Ken Durkin
        Message 3 of 28 , May 5, 2000
          Message 4 of 28 , May 5, 2000
            Perhaps order is not chronological order.
            Perhaps order is, as suggested by Michael Goulder, liturgical order based on
            the weekly readings in the synagogue. Has this view of order ever been
            explored with respect to the GJohn?

            Richard H. Anderson
          • Matson, Mark A. (Academic)
            Message 5 of 28 , May 5, 2000
              Is it so obvious that a late setting for the temple cleansing was in John's
              source? I agree with Paul A. that the arguments for displacement are not as
              compelling as might be supposed. What is somewhat at stake here (and which
              Frank M. referred to a bit) is whether John's presentation is independent or
              dependent. I don't think the dependence can be assumed, nor is it likely.

              What is striking to me, as Paul and Frank have already noted, is the way the
              temple cleansing is so well integrated into the development of the Johannine
              narrative. Frank has noted (in his Belive in the Word) that the structure
              of the passage is very similar to the preceding passage of the Cana miracle.
              Moreover, it sets the stage for the beginning of hostility by the "Jews".
              Note that this is the first introduction of that term. Each succeeding
              appearance in Jerusalem has an uptick in the degree of hostility and danger
              to Jesus. This is, then, not an extraneous passage in John's presentation.
              It is part of the tightly constructed narrative presentation -- it is
              integral to John's story of Jesus. So is it likely a secondary relocation??
              I find that somewhat difficult to imagine.

              Beyond that, though, one has to think that if John had had Mark's (or any of
              the Synoptics') account as a basis for his account, then we have to also ask
              about the purpose of his writing. One would certainly have to seriously
              consider Hans Windisch's argument that in this case John was intended to
              "replace" the Synoptics (ersetzen, not ergaenzen) - especially in the case
              of the temple incident, with its radical change in placement. I frankly
              don't see this as being as likely as independence. But if we take Leonard's
              suggestion that John knows and relies on the Synoptic gospels, then I think
              we must move to Windisch's conclusion about the purpose of the Fourth
              Gospel.

              Leonard Maluf wrote:
              **It seems obvious to me that a late setting for the temple
              **cleansing was in a
              **source of John's. John most probably knew all three Synoptic
              **gospels (and
              **especially Matthew) in which this event occurs near the end
              **of the life of
              **Jesus. I am not opposed to reopening the question of which
              **presentation is
              **more historical, as Moloney has recently done, but I am not
              **persuaded so far
              **by arguments in favor of John's chronology, generally. I
              **think John from the
              **beginning presupposes a knowledge of the end and imposes that
              **knowledge on
              **all that he writes. This theological program in many and various ways
              **interferes with the sequence of events as presented in this
              **Gospel. This is
              **why anything in Jn can serve so admirably for a gospel
              **reading at this time
              **of the year. The light of the paschal mystery, and thus the
              **end of the story,
              **has been systematically, and artificially projected into the
              **narrative from
              **the beginning. In the opening chapters, e.g., John the
              **Baptist already
              **witnesses to the faith in Jesus as son of God which is the
              **goal and end of
              **the whole Gospel. Even the multiple Passovers in John seem to
              **me to be a late
              **literary device that allows the author to cast a variety of distinct
              **illuminations on the end of the Jesus story. I intend to be slightly
              **provocative here, and hope that responses to my position will
              **advance inquiry
              **and insight into the Fourth Gospel.
              **
            • Mark Goodacre
              Message 6 of 28 , May 5, 2000
                On 5 May 00, at 7:40, Richard wrote:

                > Perhaps order is not chronological order.
                > Perhaps order is, as suggested by Michael Goulder, liturgical order
                > based on the weekly readings in the synagogue. Has this view of order
                > ever been explored with respect to the GJohn?
                >
                > Richard H. Anderson

                Yes, it has been explored a couple of times, with most impact by
                Aileen Guilding in _The Fourth Gospel and Jewish Worship_. Her
                book, which came out in 1960, received some good reviews at the
                time but subsequently (and rightly) was seen to have many problems.
                My Oxford M.Phil. thesis, "The Question of Lection in the Gospels"
                (unpublished) analysed the lectionary theories of Guilding, Carrington
                and Goulder and found them all wanting, though Goulder's less so
                than Guilding's and Carrington's.

                For Goulder's view on the liturgical origin of John, I hope you won't
                mind my referring you to an earlier John_Lit message:

                > On 19 Jul 99, at 13:20, Wieland Willker wrote:
                >
                > > Jesus is in Bethany/Jordan in ch. 1.
                > > In 1:43 Jesus decided to go to Galilee.
                > > In 2:1 he is in Kana.
                > > The question for me is: It takes at least 3 days to travel to
                > > Galilee. Is Jesus already in Galilee when he meets Philip? What does
                > > "on the third" day mean in 2:1? Could this mean, "after three days
                > > traveling"?
                > >
                > > NRS John 1:28 This took place in Bethany across the Jordan
                > > NRS John 1:29 The next day he saw Jesus coming
                > > NRS John 1:35 The next day John again was standing
                > > NRS John 1:43 The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found
                > > Philip NRS John 1:44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, NRS John 2:1 On
                > > the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee
                >
                > The regular mentions of time here form the basis for Michael
                > Goulder's lectionary theory of the origin of John. He thinks that
                > each mention is "lectionary time" and he builds everything into a
                > scheme for reading John over a forty-day Lent-type pre-Paschal fast.
                > The third day mentioned above means that there is a kind of "rest day"
                > between the readings for the fourth day of the first week and the
                > sixth day of the first week. For the first week of the liturgy,
                > therefore, we have the following pattern:
                >
                > Day 1: 1.1-28 Day 2: 1.29-34 ("the next day") Day 3:
                > 1.35-42 ("the next day") Day 4: 1.43-51 ("the next day") Day 5 -- Day
                > 6: 2.1-12 ("the third day") Day 7: 2.13-22 ("Passover").
                >
                > He has written two papers on this, one published at:
                >
                > "The Liturgical Origin of St John's Gospel" in E. A. Livingstone
                > (ed.), _Studia Evangelica_, VII (Berlin: Akademie Verlag, 1982), pp.
                > 205- 21.
                >
                > The second was unpublished. I wrote a critique of his theory for
                > _Goulder and the Gospels_ but it never went into the thesis -- lack of
                > space.

                Mark
                --------------------------------------
                Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
                University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 6866
                Birmingham B15 2TT United Kingdom

                http://www.bham.ac.uk/theology/goodacre
                The New Testament Gateway
                All-in-One Biblical Resources Search
                Mark Without Q
                Aseneth Home Page
              • Stephen C. Carlson
                Message 7 of 28 , May 6, 2000
                  At 08:27 AM 5/5/00 +0100, Ken Durkin wrote:
                  >From: Stephen C. Carlson <scarlson@...>
                  >>Parker, Pierson, "John and John Mark," JBL 79/2 (1960), floated the
                  >>suggestion that the John Mark mentioned in Acts is the author of
                  >>the Fourth Gospel. As I recall, Parker's thesis could not explain
                  >>very well who Papias' John was.
                  >
                  >Charlesworth's book on the BD lists some of those who share this view
                  >(including Wellhausen) going back to 1904.

                  For those who identify John Mark as the Fourth Evangelist, I would
                  like to know how they deal with Papias' testimony, because it is
                  that part that gives me the difficulties.

                  >It's the possible connection
                  >between John Mark, Mark the evangelist, and "order" in a gospel that
                  >interests me. At the date in question, if something is in the "wrong" order,
                  >there's a possibility that it's because it's different from the other three.

                  Well, the notion of being "not in order" (OU MENTOI TAXEI) does imply
                  a comparison to a baseline that is in order. Unfortunately, plausible
                  arguments exits for treating any of the three other canonical gospels
                  as the baseline (as possibly the non-canonical Gospel according to the
                  Hebrews as well).

                  >That's how I see it. In this context is it necessary to explain who Papias's
                  >"John" was?

                  I'm not sure I understand this question.

                  >I think explaining the Second Gospel as the memoirs of Peter is
                  >far more difficult.

                  "Memoirs of Peter" was Justin Martyr's characterization, but I'm not
                  so sure that we take Papias's testimony in the same way. Unfortunately,
                  there is ambiguity in Papias's account (The use of plain third person
                  verb forms does not specify whether the subject is Mark or Peter), but
                  the basic gist seems to be that a person Mark who was or had been Peter's
                  interpreter wrote a gospel based on Peter's teaching. Papias does not
                  state that Peter was alive when Mark wrote, and I'm wondering what
                  inferences may be drawn from the participle in MEN hERMHNEUTHS *PETROU
                  GENOMENOS. Does this imply that Mark had been Peter's interpreter
                  and no longer was, or that Mark had become Peter's interpreter (and
                  still was), at the time Mark wrote the gospel?

                  Stephen Carlson
                  --
                  Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...
                • panderso@georgefox.edu
                  Message 8 of 28 , May 6, 2000
                    Thanks, Mark, excellent points!

                    Paul

                    Paul N. Anderson
                    Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
                    George Fox University
                    Newberg, OR 97132
                    503-554-2651
                  • Maluflen@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 6, 2000
                      In a message dated 5/6/2000 1:10:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      MAMatson@... writes:

                      <<
                      Beyond that, though, one has to think that if John had had Mark's (or any of
                      the Synoptics') account as a basis for his account, then we have to also ask
                      about the purpose of his writing. One would certainly have to seriously
                      consider Hans Windisch's argument that in this case John was intended to
                      "replace" the Synoptics (ersetzen, not ergaenzen) - especially in the case
                      of the temple incident, with its radical change in placement. >>

                      I don't see the cogency of this point of view. Of course there is a
                      replacement dimension, in the sense of what John intended to communicate to
                      his own audience (he wanted them to read his Gospel, at the time of its
                      publication), but I don't think any of the Evangelists need have thought of
                      their work as replacing once and for all (and for all places) the work of
                      earlier evangelists. There was already a tradition of displaced narrative
                      sequences in Gospels that by John's time probably already stood side by side
                      in many church libraries (cf. Luke and Matt, e.g.). I think a lot of what was
                      being done by the later evangelists was understood by all to be theological
                      exploration of potentialities (for various audiences) in the Jesus story (so,
                      theological Ergaenzung), not authoritative, or preempting revision of that
                      story itself in its various narrative sequences. I just don't think our kind
                      of historical logic applies (or need have applied) at all to the situation of
                      John. There is certainly no self-conscious revisionism, or criticism of prior
                      versions of the story, at the surface of the text. And I don't think this
                      need mean, either, that John did not have the Synoptic Gospels in front of
                      him when he wrote.

                      Leonard Maluf
                    • Moloneyfj@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , May 6, 2000
                        Leonard Maluf writes regularly with source presuppositions that are generally
                        regarded as somewhat "maverick." Good that they be aired. However,
                        Leonard, you go ahead on the basis of "one off" affirmations, responding to
                        other people in the group who do not share your ideas about the sources for
                        John. Have you published, or are you working on, a major study in which you
                        deal with all the issues you keep raising here with "throw away lines"?

                        This is important. You may well be right, but you must write a major
                        detailed monograph, covering all the possibilities, and expose it to the
                        scholarly world for acceptance, compromise, or rejection. That is the trade
                        we work in. Major issues in Johannine scholarship must not be determined by
                        email discussions, surely. Has that happened, and I am not aware of it, or
                        is it on the way?

                        Your many interventions, which cannot be anything more than affirmations in
                        this medium, cannot convince. But you may be right. Prove it for us all in
                        a study which covers all the debates on the issue (both text and 200 years of
                        scolarly reflection on the text). Otherwise, little is gained by your
                        continual interventions based on presuppositions which very few of us share.

                        I submit this with respect, and hope that you have the issue covered - either
                        in something published or on the way.

                        Frank Moloney
                        Catholic University of America
                      • Maluflen@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 7, 2000
                          Frank J. Moloney wrote:

                          << Leonard Maluf writes regularly with source presuppositions that are
                          generally
                          regarded as somewhat "maverick." >>

                          Frank, I am not sure I understand what you are saying here. I do hold a
                          minority source view in Gospel studies -- a couple of them, in fact. But I am
                          not sure that my point in the post you are responding to depends
                          significantly on these views.

                          << Good that they be aired. However,
                          Leonard, you go ahead on the basis of "one off" affirmations, responding to
                          other people in the group who do not share your ideas about the sources for
                          John.>>

                          I have always believed that this question is still wide open (more so, even
                          than the question of Markan priority). With scholars like the eminent F.
                          Neirynck on the side of John's knowledge of the Synoptics, I didn't think I
                          needed to be apologetic about holding that view myself.

                          << Have you published, or are you working on, a major study in which you
                          deal with all the issues you keep raising here with "throw away lines"? >>

                          Frank, I am not a Johannine scholar at all, and don't have a major work on
                          anything in immediate preparation for publication. Whether and when I do
                          depends much more on whether and when I win the lottery than on whether I
                          have ideas and insights that are worth publishing. (I hope to publish an
                          extract of my thesis on the Benedictus in Lk 1:68-79 this year, but here I
                          touch only briefly, in the introduction, on the question of overall Synoptic
                          source theories).

                          <<This is important. You may well be right, but you must write a major
                          detailed monograph, covering all the possibilities, and expose it to the
                          scholarly world for acceptance, compromise, or rejection. That is the trade
                          we work in. Major issues in Johannine scholarship must not be determined by
                          email discussions, surely. Has that happened, and I am not aware of it, or
                          is it on the way?>>

                          Again, no. I was not, however, intending to solve major issues in Johannine
                          scholarship in the note to which (I think) you are responding. I simply
                          expressed the fact that I do not see the cogency of a point of view that had
                          been expressed by a previous contributor to the list, namely, the view that
                          if John knew the Synoptics, his gospel would have to be understood (or at
                          least we should consider the possibility that the gospel would have to be
                          understood) as replacing the older gospels. I would be more impressed with a
                          good argument to counter my point of view than I am with a response that
                          merely questions my credentials to speak.

                          << Your many interventions, which cannot be anything more than affirmations
                          in
                          this medium, cannot convince. But you may be right. Prove it for us all in
                          a study which covers all the debates on the issue (both text and 200 years of
                          scolarly reflection on the text). Otherwise, little is gained by your
                          continual interventions based on presuppositions which very few of us share.>>

                          Thanks for your urging and encouragement. And by the way, I hope my major
                          study, when it comes, will not share the presupposition that nothing
                          important happened in the history of Johannine study between the text itself
                          and the last 200 years of scholarship.

                          By the way, since you have asked about my publishing record, I do have an
                          article (on Lk 9:46-48: "The Least Among You All is the Great One"...) in a
                          Festschrift for Ghislain Lafont published by Studia Anselmiana in Rome this
                          year. I will give you the title of the book, though unfortunately I don't
                          have the capacity here to insert the correct French accents: "Imaginer la
                          theologie catholique": permanence et transformations de la foi en attendant
                          Jesus-Christ. Melanges offerts a Ghislain Lafont a l'occasion de son 70eme
                          anniversaire... ed. Jeremy Driscoll. As you can imagine, any study I write on
                          a particular set of Synoptic parallels must also, at the same time, be a
                          defense of my minority source view. This causes enormous practical
                          difficulties for me in writing anything (other than the final, lengthy,
                          definite work you and many others await from me), because I must always write
                          two works at the same time, at least one of which will most often be regarded
                          as deficient. My Synoptic theory is based on detailed analysis of many
                          individual texts; but until the overall theory can be presupposed, it must be
                          argued simultaneously with bringing out a minute portion of the evidence upon
                          which it is based. Anyway, the reaction to this article should be
                          interesting, and I certainly await your comments, among others.

                          [I had written]

                          << There was already a tradition of displaced narrative
                          sequences in Gospels that by John's time probably already stood side by side
                          in many church libraries (cf. Luke and Matt, e.g.). I think a lot of what was
                          being done by the later evangelists was understood by all to be theological
                          exploration of potentialities (for various audiences) in the Jesus story (so,
                          theological Ergaenzung), not authoritative, or preempting revision of that
                          story itself in its various narrative sequences.>>

                          In case this was the paragraph that triggered your response, let me clarify
                          just a bit by way of citing an example.

                          Luke has a story of a woman who anoints Jesus during a meal hosted by a man
                          named Simon. The story in Luke is set early in the ministry of Jesus (Lk 7).
                          Matt (or Mark -- in this case it doesn't matter which) has a similar story
                          that occurs in Bethany toward the end of Jesus' Jerusalem ministry. I don't
                          think that Luke's version can (or need) be interpreted as intending to
                          correct, or replace, the Matthean (or Markan) sequence. It simply has an
                          agenda that is theological, not chronological-historical. I think the same
                          applies to Johannine stories with respect to their Synoptic counterparts. I
                          am happy to see that Dr. Mary Coloe appears to agree, at least for the case
                          of the temple cleansing story.

                          Leonard Maluf
                        • Moloneyfj@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 7, 2000
                            Thanks very much, Leonard, for your detailed response ... and for the places
                            for me to see your work. This will be helpful for us all. I am well aware
                            (but unconvinced - like most, including Ray Brown's posthumous work on John
                            ... which I am editing) of Neirynck and his school. One of the best I have
                            read on the question recently is Michael Labahn, "Jesus als Lebensspender."
                            I do not have the volume with me, but it is 1999 - BZNW. It is a fine (but
                            over long) study of the Johannine miracle tradition.

                            I have a long article on Labahn's book (along with Fehribach's on women and
                            Manfred Lang's on the Johannine Passion narrative and Mark and Luke as
                            sources [also 1999 - FRLANT] ) in the next issue of "Salesianum" - "Where
                            Does one Look. Reflections on Some Recent Johannine Scholarship." It is all
                            about Johannine sources ... not only synoptics (Lang and Labahn), but also
                            the issue of intertextuality (Labahn and Fehribach).

                            Good to hear you liked the sound of Mary Coloe's thesis. She has written a
                            fine study, and it will be great to see it published. It is her doctoral
                            dissertaion, written under my supervision in my Melbourne, Australia, days.
                            Brendan's article is a gem! As is anything he does.

                            Frank Moloney
                          • Antonio Jerez
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 7, 2000
                              Frank Moloney wrote:

                              > Leonard Maluf writes regularly with source presuppositions that are generally
                              > regarded as somewhat "maverick." Good that they be aired. However,
                              > Leonard, you go ahead on the basis of "one off" affirmations, responding to
                              > other people in the group who do not share your ideas about the sources for
                              > John. Have you published, or are you working on, a major study in which you
                              > deal with all the issues you keep raising here with "throw away lines"?

                              I must admit that I was just as confounded as Leonard by this message. After
                              years of leafing through Johannine litterature by scholars from various schools
                              I certainly haven't got the impression that the John-used-the-synoptics hypothesis
                              is a somewhat "maverick" one. Quite to the contrary I get the impression that it is a
                              reputable position with a lot of respected scholars backing it up - among them C K
                              Barrett, Neirynck and not the least my personal friend Rene´ Kieffer here in Sweden.
                              In my opinion Rene´ has written one of the best commentaries ever on GJohn, based
                              on the presupposition that John knew and used at least GMark. Unfortunately his
                              commentary has not gotten the international recognition it deserves since so far it has
                              only been published in swedish. Rene' has also written an excellent article in the
                              compendium "John and the synoptics" (Leuwen), explaining why he believes the
                              many structural and thematic links between Mark and John show that John is
                              dependent on Mark. One of the strengths of Rene' is in my opinion that he doesn't
                              stare himself blind on the question of a word for word likeness between John and
                              the synoptics, but has a keen feel for the mindset of the author of GJohn and his
                              desire to do things very differently than Mark, Matthew and Luke.
                              Besides, I certainly do not think it should be necessary for Leonard to write a 2000 page
                              tome on GJohn to earn the right to have his views aired on this list.

                              Best wishes

                              Äntonio Jerez
                              Göteborg, Sweden
                            • David Hunter
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 10, 2000
                                The discussion on 'order in John' over the last weeks has been very
                                informative and provocative. I look forward to it continuing and appreciate
                                the time and effort many of the posts have required. As I am particularly
                                interested in the treatment of the miracle traditions in 4G, I want to raise
                                some broad questions in the hope that any responses will help me better
                                understanding the discussion. (I also look forward to a discussion of Labahn's
                                work mentioned previously.)

                                In Professor Moloney's article "The Fourth Gospel and the Jesus of History"
                                (*NTS* 2000 pp. 42-58) he focuses attention on the historical character of the
                                Johannine 'framework' of the early part of Jesus' public ministry. The
                                elements of the framework addressed are 'John the Baptist', the 'first
                                disciples' and the 'episode in the Temple'. Using Meier's work *A Marginal
                                Jew* in particular, the argument for the historical value of 4G data and
                                accounts is carefully presented.

                                One question at this point is why isn't the miracle account of ch 2:1-11
                                treated as part of the framework of the early part of Jesus' public ministry?
                                I am not familiar with Meier's overall programme but realise that part of the
                                answer may be that Meier doubts any such event occurred (Vol II. p. 950).

                                Meier does, however, find a pre-Johannine historical version behind the
                                account of the raising of Lazarus (see Vol II pp. 818 ff) which, given the
                                variety of sources that say Jesus raised people from the dead, Meier
                                associates with an event in Jesus' life. Interesting, though, Meier does not
                                relate the account and its link to an incident in the life of Jesus, to the
                                question of 'what actually happened' (p. 831). This is beyond the realms of
                                our scholarship for Meier as I read him.

                                A key part of Meier's methodology in both cases is stripping the accounts of
                                their Johannine agenda. In the case of 2:1-11 Meier speaks of 'the massive
                                amount of Johannine literary and theological traits permeating the whole
                                story' (p. 949).

                                This method raises another question - what does this approach mean for the
                                Johannine view that Jesus was arrested in the aftermath of his raising of
                                Lazarus. Theologically, Meier and others bring out the wonderful yet sinister
                                irony of this moment. But what does it mean politically, for example? Can a
                                miracle account and the popular movement it precipitates, threaten an empire
                                (as per the analysis of 11:47-48)? (In this context I'm looking forward to
                                Musa W. Dube Shomanah's paper mentioned by Jeffery Hodges.) But if the
                                Johannine agenda that links the miracle and the arrest is stripped from these
                                accounts then we lose the sense of why Jesus is arrested and executed by the
                                State. In this area, I find Crossan helpful in his attempt to engage the
                                social impact of the healing tradition. (* Birth of Christianity* pp. 293ff.
                                See also a brief perhaps superficial comment on Meier pp. 302-304.)

                                I want to raise one more issue - that of the world in front of the text (made
                                up of either or both the world of the text and the world of the reader). Meier
                                is able to establish through a skilful redaction-type critique, a
                                pre-Johannine tradition in many instances. My understanding of Professors
                                Moloney and Anderson is that they want to argue for the historical value of
                                the Johannine order as at least as reliable as the Markan order for knowing
                                the framework of Jesus' ministry. But how does this help us address a question
                                such as contemporary Jewish Christian relationships?

                                The 'behind the text' questions are essential to responsible exegesis.
                                However, would it not also be important to (critically) follow the Gospel of
                                John and the Johannine agenda into the historical and theological period of
                                the break between 'Judaism' and 'Christianity'. I realise this is a much
                                broader agenda perhaps, but it asks about priorities and the dangers of
                                isolating issues in 4G studies. What are the effects of arguing for the
                                historical importance without maintaining a critical interest in the way the
                                text speaks of 'the Jews', or the strengths and weaknesses of sectarian
                                ecclesiology for example?

                                I have taken too many words in trying to articulate these issues - apologies
                                for that and thanks again to those who lead the discussions for their
                                scholarship and contributions to the list.

                                David Hunter
                                PhD Candidate
                                St Marks National Theological Centre
                                School of Theology
                                Charles Sturt University
                                Canberra, ACT AUSTRALIA
                              • Matson, Mark A. (Academic)
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 10, 2000
                                  David Hunter wrote:

                                  > This method raises another question - what does this approach
                                  > mean for the
                                  > Johannine view that Jesus was arrested in the aftermath of
                                  > his raising of
                                  > Lazarus. Theologically, Meier and others bring out the
                                  > wonderful yet sinister
                                  > irony of this moment. But what does it mean politically, for
                                  > example? Can a
                                  > miracle account and the popular movement it precipitates,
                                  > threaten an empire
                                  > (as per the analysis of 11:47-48)? (In this context I'm
                                  > looking forward to
                                  > Musa W. Dube Shomanah's paper mentioned by Jeffery Hodges.) But if the
                                  > Johannine agenda that links the miracle and the arrest is
                                  > stripped from these
                                  > accounts then we lose the sense of why Jesus is arrested and
                                  > executed by the
                                  > State. In this area, I find Crossan helpful in his attempt to
                                  > engage the
                                  > social impact of the healing tradition. (* Birth of
                                  > Christianity* pp. 293ff.
                                  > See also a brief perhaps superficial comment on Meier pp. 302-304.)

                                  David:
                                  I see where you are interested in the miracle traditions, and the way they
                                  may or may not be used in some assessment of historical backgrounds to the
                                  FG. Let me say at the outset that I have argued for quite some time that
                                  the Fourth Gospel does have something unique to add to the question of the
                                  historical Jesus (my paper on this,"The Contribution to the Temple Cleansing
                                  by the Fourth Gospel", using the temple cleansing as point of reference, can
                                  be found in the 1992 SBL Seminar Papers). While I think there is an
                                  independent historical substrata, I also think it is difficult to get very
                                  precise about what it is without the other gospels as points of reference.

                                  With that caveat said, I think your post raises some interesting questions
                                  that might be engaged.

                                  First, I wonder of Meier or others would simply suggest that stripping the
                                  accounts in John of the Johannine agenda would get one to historical data.
                                  It would seem that multiple accounts are important, and hence the reason
                                  that such things as baptism, temple cleansing, etc. figure largely. We know
                                  the big events because they also occur in Mark, etc. From there we can
                                  explore whether John presents some insight that is more likely historically.
                                  Any gospel that reports an event alone, with multiple attestation, is a bit
                                  suspect, isn't it? And would this be the case with both Cana and Lazarus?

                                  More importantly, though, I wonder if you characterization of John's
                                  presentation of Jesus' arrest is correct. Is the Lazarus event really
                                  presented as the initiating event?

                                  Granted, that Jn. 12:9-10 links the Lazarus event directly with the
                                  intention to put Jesus to death. But note that Jn. 11:45 ff. actually cites
                                  "this many is performing many signs".... which links to the gospel as a
                                  whole. Note therefore that the whole gospel has this motif built into it
                                  -- that is that the judgement of death is prefigured from the very
                                  beginning:
                                  2:18 the Jews cross examine him about his temple action, and ask
                                  what signs he performs to validate himself.
                                  5:16 the Jews started persecuting Jesus... (v. 18) for this reason
                                  they were seeking all the more to kill him.
                                  7: 1 ... he did not wish to go to Judea because the Jews were
                                  looking for an opportunity to kill him.
                                  7:25 the people said "is this not the man whom they are trying to
                                  kill?"
                                  8:59 then they (the Jews) picked up stones to throw at him, but
                                  Jesus hid himself...
                                  10:31 the Jews took up stones to stone him.... (v. 39) They tried
                                  to arrest him again, but he escaped from their hands
                                  then 11:45 ff.

                                  The point of all this is that the Lazarus episode can be overemphasized. It
                                  is one event in the Johannine story that shows consistent and early
                                  opposition to Jesus by the Judean authorities (the "Jews"). The Lazarus
                                  story adds poignancy to this developing emphasis of rejection, but it is not
                                  that crucial. Is it? I would think, instead of focusing on the one account,
                                  that an analysis of the narrative structure would be important. Now the
                                  question is, is there some validity to John's presentation of early and
                                  increasing opposition? I think it is possible to make this case. But I
                                  guess I would rather focus on John's major focus, which is not opposition to
                                  any one sign per se, but rather to the pattern of the rejection of Jesus
                                  almost in inverse proportion to the degree that he reveals His nature,
                                  through signs and through speeches.

                                  Don't know if this hits at the point of your post, but perhaps it adds
                                  something to the discussion.

                                  Mark A. Matson, Ph.D.
                                  Academic Dean
                                  Milligan College
                                • Jeffrey L. Staley
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 12, 2000
                                    > I have a long article on Labahn's book (along with Fehribach's on women and
                                    > Manfred Lang's on the Johannine Passion narrative and Mark and Luke as
                                    > sources [also 1999 - FRLANT] ) in the next issue of "Salesianum" - "Where
                                    > Does one Look. Reflections on Some Recent Johannine Scholarship." It is all
                                    > about Johannine sources ... not only synoptics (Lang and Labahn), but also
                                    > the issue of intertextuality (Labahn and Fehribach).

                                    This really sounds interesting. Let us know exactly when it comes out, since I am not at an institution that carries this. I had lots
                                    of fun using Fehribach's book last year in my John class. If you want a really interesting project, look at the film "The Last
                                    Temptation of Christ," read Fehribach's book, then go back and view the film again. Some really provocative iissues there.
                                  • Ken Durkin
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 28, 2000
                                      > For those who identify John Mark as the Fourth Evangelist, I would
                                      > like to know how they deal with Papias' testimony, because it is
                                      > that part that gives me the difficulties.

                                      For those who identify John Mark as the Fourth Evangelist, the only way to
                                      deal with this "testimony" is to suggest Papias is confused. For example,
                                      it's possible he was confused over the apostle Philip and the Philip of AA
                                      21.

                                      Ken Durkin
                                    • Ken Durkin
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 6, 2000
                                        > > For those who identify John Mark as the Fourth Evangelist, I would
                                        > > like to know how they deal with Papias' testimony, because it is
                                        > > that part that gives me the difficulties.
                                        >
                                        > For those who identify John Mark as the Fourth Evangelist, the only way to
                                        > deal with this "testimony" is to suggest Papias is confused. For example,
                                        > it's possible he was confused over the apostle Philip and the Philip of AA
                                        > 21.
                                        >
                                        > Ken Durkin

                                        I've given this more thought. Regarding Papias' testimony, I've never been
                                        convinced that the Second Gospel has any special relationship to Peter.
                                        Kümmel (Intro to NT) used to sum up my thoughts on this: "The tradition that
                                        Mark was written by John Mark is therefore scarcely reliable." From the
                                        extant words of Papias there is no reason to relate them to the Second
                                        Gospel. We can conclude that there is a tradition that a companion of Peter
                                        was a writer, and what he wrote was possibly in a different order from other
                                        written traditions. The insistence that he neither heard the Lord nor
                                        followed him is the part that gives me difficulties. Perhaps this is one way
                                        of saying Mark was not an apostle.

                                        Ken Durkin
                                      • Stephen C. Carlson
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 7, 2000
                                          At 09:10 AM 6/6/00 +0100, Ken Durkin wrote:
> [...]

                                          Let me quote Papias's statement:

                                          15 And the presbyter would say this: Mark, who was indeed Peter's
                                          interpreter, accurately wrote as much as he remembered, yet not in order,
                                          about that which was either said or did by the Lord. For he neither heard
                                          the Lord nor followed him, but later, as I said, Peter, who as necessary
                                          would make his teachings but not exactly an arrangement of the Lord's
                                          reports, so that Mark did not fail by writing certain things as he recalled.
                                          For he had one purpose, not to omit what he heard or falsify them.

                                          Could this statement refer to the Second Gospel? We may infer from
                                          Papias's three defenses of Mark, three characteristics of this gospel.

                                          1. Mark's lack of order was due to writing down Peter's disconnected
                                          anecdotes. This implies that the gospel was criticized for its order.
                                          I have just listened to the Second Gospel on tape, and my strongest
                                          impression is that the gospel is episodic without a strong narrative
                                          order, except for the occasional intercalation. Although I haven't
                                          listened to John on tape, my recollection is that its narrative flow
                                          is clearer (e.g. this is the first sign that Jesus did).

                                          2. Mark's purpose was not to omit what he heard. This defense implies
                                          that the gospel was criticized for missing material. The Second Gospel
                                          is the shortest of the four and arguably lacks a lot material Christians
                                          have found most interesting (e.g. Sermon on the Mount, resurrection
                                          appearances, etc.).

                                          3. Mark's purpose as not to falsify what he heard. This defense implies
                                          that the gospel was criticized for relating the same incidents differently.
                                          Although this charge could be laid at any of the synoptics because they
                                          share much material in common, the 4G has much less material in common
                                          with the others.

                                          Therefore, I find the best understanding of Papias's defense is a
                                          defense of the Second Gospel, which Papias' clearly associates with
                                          Mark. It is easy to fault Papias because it is equally hard to see
                                          how the Second Gospel is Petrine and therefore call into question
                                          this identification. However, if we look closely at the presbyter's
                                          statement, we notice that the presbyter only states that someone
                                          named Mark had been Peter's interpreter and wrote a gospel. There
                                          is nothing in the presbyter's statement that the relationship between
                                          Peter and Mark was close (in fact, it is not uncommon for ex-employee
                                          to be "disgruntled") nor that Mark wrote closely with Peter or even
                                          when Peter was still alive. Whether the subject matter of Mark came
                                          from Peter is merely an inference that Papias drew from the presbyter's
                                          statement and is difficult to credit. Interestingly, Papias does not
                                          even go far to express whether Peter was still alive when Mark wrote
                                          what "he" (Peter? Mark?) remembered. Thus, I find the supposition
                                          "that the Second Gospel has any special relationship to Peter" to be
                                          unsupported by Papias's testimony.

                                          What I conclude from Papias's testimony is that the tradition that
                                          Mark wrote the Second Gospel is early, extending as back to this
                                          presbyter, who flourished at least in the last decade of the first
                                          century. This presbyter was named John, and there is good reason
                                          to connect him first with 2, 3 John, then with 1 John, and finally
                                          with (the final form of) the 4G (see Hengel for the argument).

                                          Since the presbyter talks about Mark as if Mark was another person,
                                          it is difficult to identify John Mark as the same person as the
                                          Fourth Evangelist. Even Pierson Parker, who made a case for this
                                          identification, conceded he couldn't explain Papias's testimony.

                                          Stephen Carlson
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jun 8, 2000