Riddles--a new intro

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2011
      Dear colleagues,

      I'm interested in knowing what sorts of Johannine projects people are
      working on nowadays. As a reminder, the highly significant commentaries by
      Ramsey Michaels and Urban Von Wahlde certainly deserve a consideration this
      year; and, John Painter is working on a third edition of Barrett's great
      commentary. Tom Thatcher is working on the Smyth & Helwys commentary on
      John, and the collection edited by Mary Coloe and Tom on the Fourth Gospel
      and the Dead Sea Scrolls (SBL Press) will come out in a few months.

      Are there other Johannine books coming out that deserve notice?

      Meantime, I'm delighted that Fortress will be releasing a new intro to John
      within the next few weeks! I have tried to lay out the Johannine riddles
      (twelve sets in each category--theological, historical, literary) in sharp
      relief, showing also how scholars have sought to address them by means of
      their literary theories on the way to outlining my own approach and
      interpretation.

      Here's the table of contents and samples on the website--
      http://fortresspress.com/media/downloads/080060427XToc.pdf--thanks so much
      for all the input!

      And, here's a pre-Easter forty-day exercise for reading the Gospel of John
      reflectively; feel free to make use of it if serviceable.
      http://nwfriends.org/media/Forty-Days-with-the-Gospel-of-John.pdf.

      Sincerely,

      Paul Anderson

    • Matthew Estrada
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
        Hi Paul,

        I can't get the link to your table of contents to work.

        Matt Estrada

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
          Matt -

          You have to delete the "--thanks" from the end of Paul's link, then it will work--

          http://fortresspress.com/media/downloads/080060427XToc.pdf

          Keith Yoder

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
            Paul,

            There is a volume of essays in the works on Character Studies in the Fourth Gospel, edited by Steven Hunt, Francois Tolmie and Ruben Zimmerman, for Mohr Siebeck in the WUNT series, later to be picked up by Baker Academic. I'm not sure of the time frame.

            Ramsey Michaels

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
              Thanks, Keith.

              Certainly looks like Paul has his plate full!

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
                Thanks, Ramsey, that will be an important volume, I think, building on other
                characterological studies in fuller detail.

                And thanks, Matthew and Keith for pointing out the way forward; here's the
                Fortress website link, which has a "samples" section.

                http://fortresspress.com/store/item.jsp?clsid=202564&productgroupid=0&isbn=080060427X

                Paul