Re: [John_Lit] Targum background to John's Logos title

  • John Ronning
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2011
      Ramsey,

      Thanks for the kind words.

      Dating the Targums is obviously a relevant issue and a stumbling block to many.
      The fact that all of the extant Targums post-date John has to be considered.
      However, few would deny that there were Targums in use in the first century
      (various NT passages being the greatest evidence), and to put the Targums "out
      of bounds" for consideration as a background to the Logos theology, I would
      think one would have to assume the unprovable - that the 1st century Targums are
      not in the least bit reflected in the extant Targums.

      Take an example that does not involve the Word theology. The Psalms Targum
      interprets the "branches" of the vine in Psalm 80 as "disciples" (a nice example
      of the targumic practice of double translation - "branches" is translated first
      literally and then as disciples). It could not be proven that this
      interpretation was found in a first century Psalms Targum. But that is not why
      interpreters don't mention it in their discussion of the vine and branches in
      John 15. I would venture to say they don't mention it because they are ignorant
      of it.

      Another ex.: Ps-Jonathan Num 20:11 has an answer for why Moses struck the rock
      twice--the first time blood oozed out so he struck it again and water flowed
      abundantly. Tho Ps-J is late in its extant form, this could obviously reflect an
      early tradition and is of obvious potential relevance to John 19:34--John might
      have been struck by this fact and seen in it a message from God, that Jesus is
      what he said he was, the source of living water. True, this legend is found
      elsewhere (Ginzburg discusses variations of it), but is it not relevant to at
      least point out in a discussion of John 19:34? Does not the fact that it is
      overlooked, even tho Etheridge's English translation of Ps-J has been around for
      150 years, indicate a problem in Johannine scholarship? Such examples can be
      multiplied many-fold.

      Another dating issue: of relevance to the Logos title is whether the "Word
      theology" was current in the 1st century. Conceptual similarities to Philo's
      Logos (e.g. both Philo and the Pentateuchal Targums have the Word between the
      cherubim in the tabernacle), and to intertestamental wisdom literature (e.g. the
      divine Word healing the snake-bitten Israelites and destroying the Egyptian
      1st-born) and even the Tragedy of Ezekiel (Moses hears the voice of the Word at
      the burning bush) argue affirmatively, while absence of such theology in
      rabbinic Judaism would argue against late dating.

      Of special relevance is the dating of the use of Dibbera/Dibbura for the divine
      Word. This usage is much more isolated than the Memra but is very relevant to
      the question of Targumic background to the Logos title for two reasons: (1)
      while Memra is not used "aboslutely" (i.e. we find "the Word of the Lord," "my
      Word," etc. but not "the Word" as in John), Dibbera is used in this way: e.g. in
      the Palestinian Targums Israel heard the voice of "the Word" on Mt. Sinai, which
      is relevant to seeing the Word-become-flesh in the upper room as a new Sinai,
      making a new covenant, giving a new commandment, connecting love for him with
      obedience to his commands [just as in the 2nd commandment & elsewhere], etc; (2)
      a significant number of possible relations of Targum passages to John involve
      the use of Dibbera/Dibbura. E.g. John says the disciples saw his glory, full of
      grace and truth. Most agree that this is John's translation of rab xesed
      we'emet, "abounding in kindness and truth" from Exod 34:6 (i.e. it is how God
      describes himself to Moses). In the Palestinian Targums this revelation to Moses
      is a revelation of the Dibbura, the divine Word.

      In the previous chapter Moses set up a tent of meeting outside the camp, and
      those who would seek the Lord went there. Exodus Rabbah interprets this as
      evidence that God had excommunicated Israel after the worship of the golden
      calf, and that Moses followed his master outside the camp and regarded as
      excommunicated those whom God had excommunicated. Various Targum passages have
      the divine Word with Moses outside the camp, which is of potential relevance to
      the interpretation of John 12:26, where the Word-become-flesh says likewise
      those who would be his servants (as Moses was before the incarnation) must
      follow him to where he is going (which can't mean heaven but rather "outside the
      camp" - Jesus therefore announces his excommunication of Israel).

      It has been claimed that the use of Dibbura in this way dates only to the 3rd
      century and later, but besides the evidence from John, we have the fact that in
      Targum Jonathan of the Prophets, Dibbura is used only once, in Ezekiel 1, in the
      vision of the heavenly chariot. Levey ascribes the "Merkavah mysticism" used
      here to Rabbi Johanan ben Zakkai, who was a prominent rabbi from the 1st
      century. Since this is the only place in Jonathan that Dibbura is used, it
      stands to reason that Johanan is also the source of the Dibbura usage in Targum
      Ezekiel, meaning that Dibbura use was contemporary with John.

      If the Logos title comes from the Targums, then we can readily see that "the
      Word became flesh" is a unifying theme throughout the Gospel, as John shows
      Jesus doing the same kinds of things YHWH did in OT times, except now he does
      them as a man. Thus in the Gospel there are both human and divine parallels to
      the OT with Jesus as warrior, bridegroom of his people, lawgiver, etc.
      Interestingly, these themes are also found in Exodus 34, which as I mentioned
      above is where God reveals himself to Moses as "full of grace and truth." So
      when Jesus says, "it was about me that he [Moses] wrote," he is saying "Moses
      was my prophet; if you believe the prophet, you must believe whom he represented
      as prophet."

      Regards,

      John Ronning

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2011
        > Take an example that does not involve the Word theology. The Psalms Targum
        > interprets the "branches" of the vine in Psalm 80 as "disciples" (a nice
        > example
        > of the targumic practice of double translation - "branches" is translated
        > first
        > literally and then as disciples). It could not be proven that this
        > interpretation was found in a first century Psalms Targum. But that is not
        > why
        > interpreters don't mention it in their discussion of the vine and branches
        > in
        > John 15. I would venture to say they don't mention it because they are
        > ignorant
        > of it.

        Here is the Hebrew of Psalm 80:10:
        כָּסּוּ הָרִים צִלָּהּ וַעֲנָפֶיהָ אַֽרְזֵי־אֵֽל׃

        And the Targum Aram,aic:
        פניתא מן־קדמיהון כנענאי ושׁרשׁתא שׁורשׁיהון ומלאת ארעא׃11 חפיין טוריא
        דירושׁלם טול בית מקדשׁא ובתי מדרשׁיא רבנין אמרין אלימין דמתילין לארזין
        תקיפין׃
        שׁבישׁת שׁבשׁין שׁדרת תלמידהא עד ימא רבא ולנהר פרת יניקהא׃

        Where in the last line above we see "Branches" interpreted as talmydaha
        (disciples).

        Lets now move to Isaiah 11:1

        וְיָצָא חֹטֶר מִגֵּזַע יִשָׁי וְנֵצֶר מִשָּׁרָשָׁיו יִפְרֶֽה׃

        And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesse, and a Branch
        shall grow out of his roots:

        .......where the נצר "netser" (branch) of Jesse Ιεσσαι gave rise to both
        the Netseraya/Ναζωραῖος/Nazarenes and the Yeeshaya/IESSAIAOI/Jesseans and I
        find this in Epiphanius Panarion 29 5.1-4 "For a short time they were given
        the name Iessaians before the disciples in Antioch began to be called
        Christians (this was around 60 CE Acts 11:26 jk ) and they were called
        Iessaians because of Jesse, it seems to me, since David was from Jesse." So
        the Nazarenes were equated with the Jessians making the case that both of
        these designations, had the same origin in Isaiah. Also Nilus, Bishop of
        Ancyra, in "de monastica exercitatione, 3 This connection is also made by E.
        A. Abbott "The Beginning" (Vol 2) in "The Fourfold Gospel" (Cambridge 1914)
        p. 318. I accept it since it is the most logical connection and Ναζωραῖος
        perfectly fits the Greek transliteration with the addition of the noun
        ending. If a group was founded by someone considered by his followers as
        the "Netser of Jesse," I can see them being called the "branchers"
        (Netseraya/Nazarenes) and "Jessians" (Yeeshaya/Iessaioi).

        This "root" and "branch" formula is used in both Psalms and Isaiah.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        San Antonio, TX
      • Ramsey Michaels
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
          John,

          Thank you for some examples of using Targums to interpret NT texts. First, as you can tell, my commentary does little with "background" in general, so my neglect of Targums is perhaps not surprising. In equal opportunity fashion, I neglect Wisdom background, Philonic background, etc. as well, and will probably be duly reprimanded for that. I just think enough has been written in some of those areas. The evidence is what it is, and most people have firmly made up their minds as to what is relevant and what it not. I have concentrated instead on narrative criticism and the present form of the text.

          My friend Craig Keener, by contrast, deals extensively with backgrounds (a massive understatement), and in his index has cited all kinds of Targums. Yet in speaking about Targums in relation to the Logos in John, he is surprisingly dismissive. You might check out what he does do with them in various places. I suspect that in most cases he does little more than list references -- which I fear no one will look up. And you are right, I suspect, in saying that the reason many do not take account of certain parallels is that they are simply ignorant of them -- present company not excluded!

          A couple of comments, however. In admitting "various New Testament passages" as themselves the "greatest evidence" of the use of Targums in the first century, you are risking a certain circularity. Is it not even possible that some NT metaphors arising in a setting in which the "Christian" movement was still part of Judaism may actually have been preserved within Judaism and found their way into the Targums -- that is, that the influence could have been in the opposite direction? While I am not ready to propose such a thing, I'm not ready to rule it out either.

          Your two examples where the rubber meets the road are John 19:34 and 12:26. I don't find either one persuasive, the second less so than the first. It seems unquestionable that in 12:26 Jesus is going, if not to heaven, at least to the Father (as we learn in chapters 14-16), not merely "outside the camp," and he is certainly not excommunicating Israel -- tho he does excommunicate the devil five verses later! Your Targum may have more of a bearing on Hebrews 13:9-10. In 19:34 Jesus' side is pierced once, not twice, and there is plenty of material within the Gospel (chapter 6 for example, and 7:37-38) to go on, without appealing to Ps-Jonathan.

          Still, the concrete examples are what we need. As the Germans say, "Was kommt heraus?" What is the actual exegetical yield? I'm keeping an open mind.

          Ramsey

          Wonderful, Ramsey, excellent discussions of your fine work!

          Would you care to share with us how you approached your commentary and how
          it might follow and depart from Morris's commentary? For instance, how did
          you approach composition, setting, audience(s), literary, and historical
          issues, etc?

          I'm sure this will be a "must-have" in all serious Johannine libraries;
          thanks for your invaluable service to readers of John internationally!

          Paul

          On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Ramsey Michaels <profram@...>wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > Since Paul has set a precedent, here is a link to Jim West's review of my
          > new NICNT Commentary on the Gospel of John:
          >

          >http://zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/the-gospel-of-john-the-new-international-commentary-on-the-new-testament/
          >
          >/
          >

          > Also, in case you haven't seen it, a link to Matthew Montonini's three-part
          > interview with me about the Commentary on his New Testament Perspectives:
          >

          >http://newtestamentperspectives.blogspot.com/2010/10/j-ramsey-michaels-interview-part-iii.html

          > Best wishes to all,
          >
          > Ramsey Michaels
          > Portsmouth, New Hampshire

        • John Ronning
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 2, 2011
            Ramsey,

            On circularity - with respect to the Word theology, I presume you're not saying
            that the Targum Word theology could have come from Christian influence (the idea
            of the Word becoming flesh goes against the kind of thinking that seems to be
            behind the Word theology; i.e. keeping God transcendent, not imminent). With
            respect to examples like the branches as disciples in Tg. Psalm 80 - yes it's
            possible that 1st century Jewish thinking as reflected in the vine and branches
            discourse later influenced the Psalms Targum. My main point in an example such
            as this is to point out possibilities. In this case, many commentators point to
            Psalm 80 as important OT background for John 15; others (such as Keener) are
            dubious. I think the Psalms Targum adds weight to the view that Ps 80 is an
            important background (among many), though of course it is not proof. When such
            examples can be multiplied many fold, then I think the overall readiness to see
            a Targum background as a possibility should increase.

            With respect to John 12:26 - yes Jesus is going to the right hand of the Father,
            in heaven (where Stephen sees him); the difficulty of course is in what he means
            by saying that his followers must be where he is - he's not talking about our
            eternal destiny, but about how we serve him on earth. So where do we "go" to
            follow him now? I think you are correct to say we could answer "outside the
            camp" from Hebrews 13, what I am saying is that this answer is suggested by John
            12:26 itself.

            I should have made my case better/clearer. Besides the suggested background of
            the Exodus Rabbah interpretation of Exodus 33 (Moses followed the Lord outside
            the camp, where Israel must now seek the Lord after the golden calf incident),
            there is John 7:34, 36; "You will seek me, and you will not find me." This also
            fits in with Jewish interpretation of the golden calf incident, seen in the
            Targum of the Song of Solomon, which interprets the bride's statement "I sought
            him but did not find him" of the golden calf incident: "'Let us request
            instruction from the Lord and the holy Shekinah which has been removed from us.'
            Then they went around in the towns, streets, and squares, but they did not find
            it" (Tg. Song 3:2). The similar statement in 5:6 is related to Israel
            seeking/not finding the Shekinah at the time of the Babylonian exile. It would
            not be difficult for Jewish Christians to see a parallel after the Roman
            conquest (one reason I'm not inclined to date John early). While I don't think
            much of this as interpretation of the Song of Solomon, what is significant is
            what it says about Jewish interpretation of the golden calf incident.

            In short, if one interprets "You will seek me but you will not find me" as
            divine speech (notice how John draws attention to its importance by recording
            the crowd's question about it in v. 36), then there is much relevant OT
            background, such as Deut 4 where Moses tells Israel that if they seek the Lord
            from exile (the situation when John is writing, according to the usual dating of
            John), they will find him IF they search for him with all of their hearts. A
            corollary to that requirement comes from Exodus 33, after Israel's great sin:
            they must seek him outside the camp (i.e. they must follow where he went, and
            where Moses conversed with the divine Word before his incarnation). In the first
            century, that means they must seek him in the Christian church (Matt 18:20;
            where 2 or 3 gather in my name, there I am - similar to what the Mishnah and
            Talmud say about the Shekinah). So, in my view John 12:26 makes perfect sense
            with the idea that in returning to the Father Jesus is going "outside the camp."

            John

            ________________________________

            Wonderful, Ramsey, excellent discussions of your fine work!

            Would you care to share with us how you approached your commentary and how
            it might follow and depart from Morris's commentary? For instance, how did
            you approach composition, setting, audience(s), literary, and historical
            issues, etc?

            I'm sure this will be a "must-have" in all serious Johannine libraries;
            thanks for your invaluable service to readers of John internationally!

            Paul

            On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Ramsey Michaels <profram@...>wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > Since Paul has set a precedent, here is a link to Jim West's review of my
            > new NICNT Commentary on the Gospel of John:
            >

            >http://zwingliusredivivus.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/the-gospel-of-john-the-new-international-commentary-on-the-new-testament/
            >

            >/
            >

            > Also, in case you haven't seen it, a link to Matthew Montonini's three-part
            > interview with me about the Commentary on his New Testament Perspectives:
            >

            >http://newtestamentperspectives.blogspot.com/2010/10/j-ramsey-michaels-interview-part-iii.html

            > Best wishes to all,
            >
            > Ramsey Michaels
            > Portsmouth, New Hampshire

          • John Ronning
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
              w.r.t. "backgrounds" to study of John's Gospel, scholars obviously have to
              decide whether a particular area of study promises to be fruitful in
              illuminating the text under discussion. However, I doubt that anyone would
              affirm that OT background can be overlooked in the study of any NT book. The
              point I would make in connection with this is that the Targums should be studied
              not just as "one potential background among many possible," but as
              (interpretive) translations of the OT, therefore automatically of interest. No
              one needs to justify looking at the LXX translation as part of OT background
              studies, but there seems to be a strange double standard when it comes to the
              Targums.

              E.g. Keener, in rejecting the Targums as a background for the Logos title,
              treats the Word theology in the Targums as an isolated strand of early Jewish
              thought, therefore unlikely to be of general interest (p. 350). Surely the
              opposite is the case, since the Targums were for the purpose of being recited in
              the synagogue, i.e. they are for the common people; they were the Aramaic LXX
              plus interpretive notes (as far as we know, the entire Pentateuch and portions
              of the prophets were read on Sabbaths, other books like Song of Solomon were
              read on feast days).

              To be fair, Keener joins this statement with the observation that since the
              extant Targums are all post-John, we can't be sure of how the Word theology
              might have been used in the first century. To an extent I would agree, but if we
              investigate the extant Targums and see passage after passage in John illuminated
              by such an examination, then we do approach probability and perhaps certainty,
              though it would take considerable study to get to that point (thus, my book). To
              fail to undertake such a study is in my view a "head in the sand" approach. Of
              course, since scholars are busy, they might rely on others who say that such a
              study is a waste of time--many like to quote Barrett: "Memra is a blind alley in
              the study of John's logos doctrine" (also on p. 350 of Keener). Whether Barrett
              himself went down this alley to see if it was blind I don't know, but since he
              was such a Greek specialist I wonder if he was biased.

              In 1 Cor 15:45, Paul quotes Gen 2:7, "The first man, Adam, became a living
              soul." Sometimes in the Targums Adam is called )dm qdmy). (MacNamara remarks
              that this corresponds to Hebrew adam harishon, common in ranninic lit.). None of
              the extant Targums use this at Gen 2:7 but Neofiti uses it in the following
              verse. Some translators of the Aramaic Bible series translate this as "first
              man," others translate it as "first Adam." Interesting that Paul's phrase "the
              first man, Adam" looks like a conflation of these two possibilities.

              Paul goes on to say that "the last Adam [became] a life-giving Spirit." One
              answer that has been given to the question, why is Jesus only called "the Son of
              Man" in the Gospels and Acts, not in any of the epistles?, is that in calling
              Jesus the last Adam, it amounts to the same thing as calling him the Son of Man;
              the reason he doesn't use the phrase "Son of Man" is that in the Gospels the
              title is meant to be obscure, to avoid a direct claim to be the Messiah, but
              Paul means to explain, not obscure. This interpretation depends in part on
              assuming that "the Son of Man" depends on Ps 8:4, as one might suspect from
              Hebrews 2. The obstacle to this has been the belief that no saying in the
              Gospels can be traced to Psalm 8. In fact, however, the first use of this title
              both in Matthew and John can be read as depending in part on Psalm 8. Matt 8:20:
              "The foxes have holes" etc. can be seen as an ironic allusion to Psalm 8,
              according to which man/son of man is given dominion over the beasts of the field
              [e.g. foxes] and birds of the air. Jesus, the true Adam, doesn't even have a
              fixed place to lie down, whereas the creatures under his dominion do. This was
              pointed out, by the way, in the ABD article on the Son of Man, which also
              pointed out that in Daniel 7, one like a son of man is given dominion over
              kingdoms depicted as animals, with characteristics of beasts of the field and
              birds of the air - an eschatological version of Psalm 8 (with relevance to some
              Gospel Son of Man sayings alluding to Dan 7:13).

              Likewise the first use of the title in John: angels ascending and descending
              upon the Son of Man, besides the obvious allusion to Genesis 28, depicts the Son
              of Man as "lower than the angels" a la Psalm 8. I point out in chapter 4 of my
              book that all of the Son of Man sayings in John, except possibly 5:27, can be
              categorized according to how Hebrews 2 adapts Psalm 8 to Jesus: (1) his
              temporary descent to a place "lower than the angels" (1:51; 3:13; 6:62); (2) his
              glorification or lifting up (3:14; 8:12; 12:23, 34; 13:31); (3) "bringing many
              sons to glory" i.e. spiritual progenitor of his people as Adam was the physical
              progenitor (9:35; 6:27, 53).

              Of interest in all of this is that Tg. Neofiti, besides calling Adam "the first
              man/Adam," also calls him "the son of man" (bar nasha, used generically for
              "man") (Gen 1:27; 2:18). Neof. Gen 1:27 is particularly interesting in light of
              John 1:14: "The Word of the Lord created the son of man." If this reading were
              current in the first century, then it is possible that another clue to the
              meaning of the Son of Man title as "the last Adam" is the Targum use of "the son
              of man" for "the first Adam."

              Is this information not at least as relevant as the use of "the son of man" in
              the Ethiopic version of the Book of Enoch?

              A generic use of "the son of man" in the Palestinian Targums Gen 40:23 is also
              of interest to johannine studies. The Targums are evidently trying to answer the
              question, why Joseph was stuck in prison for two more years after foretelling
              the future of Pharaoh's cup-bearer and baker. The answer that they give is that
              Joseph forgot the lesson of Jeremiah 17 (this anachronism is solved in Neofiti
              by saying that the passage is also in "the Book of the Wars"). In asking the
              cup-bearer to remember him to Pharaoh, Joseph trusted in flesh that tastes the
              cup of death, and forgot the Scripture that says "Cursed is the son of man who
              trusts in the flesh . . . but blessed is the man who trusts in the name of the
              Word of the Lord, and makes the Word of the Lord his trust."

              The quotes are from Jer 17:5, 7. The reason I quoted this from Pal. Tgs. Gen
              40:23 rather than from the Targum of Jeremiah is that the latter (as is true of
              Targum Jonathan generally) does not use the expression "name of the Word of the
              Lord," the expression I suggest is meant in John 1:12 - "those who believe in
              his (the Word's) name."

              We can easily imagine Jewish Christians being charged with the same offense:
              "You trust in Jesus, you are trusting in a son of man, in flesh that tasted the
              cup of death, therefore you are under God's curse." John gives his answer at the
              end of chapter 2, read in light of Jer 17 as quoted in Pal. Tgs. Gen 40:23:
              v. 23; "during the feast, many believed in his name, beholding the signs which
              he was doing." Why does such faith not put them in the category of those who are
              cursed acc. to Jer 17:5, for trusting in the son of man, in flesh etc.? Because
              they are actually in the category of those who are blessed acc. to Jer 17:7,
              because they trust in the name of the Word of the Lord (who became the Son of
              Man; yes he tasted death, but overcame it).

              John goes on to say that Jesus himself observed Jer 17:5: he himself did not put
              his trust in men (v. 24). Not only that, John goes on to say that Jesus knew all
              men, and knew what was in man which is what Jer 17:9-10 says about the Lord:
              "The heart is deceitful . . . who can know it? I the Lord search the heart, I
              test the mind, to give to each man according to his ways" (also paraphrased by
              Jesus in Rev 2:23).

              Regards,
              John Ronning

            • Jack Kilmon
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
> [...]
                > cursed acc. to Jer 17:5, for trusting in the son of man, in flesh etc.?
                > Because
                > they are actually in the category of those who are blessed acc. to Jer
                > 17:7,
                > because they trust in the name of the Word of the Lord (who became the Son
                > of
                > Man; yes he tasted death, but overcame it).
                >
                > John goes on to say that Jesus himself observed Jer 17:5: he himself did
                > not put
                > his trust in men (v. 24). Not only that, John goes on to say that Jesus
                > knew all
                > men, and knew what was in man which is what Jer 17:9-10 says about the
                > Lord:
                > "The heart is deceitful . . . who can know it? I the Lord search the
                > heart, I
                > test the mind, to give to each man according to his ways" (also

                Hi John:

                This is going to get rather lengthy also, so bear with me

                As the "follow the Aramaic" guy, I find this very interesting but I have
                several concerns. The extant Targumym are post John as for their final
                forms and codification but clearly date back to the time of John (c. 95 CE)
                and prior judging from the Aramaic text of Neofiti, copied in the 16th
                century from an earlier copy.

                Use of ממרא
                and נהורא

                in Neofiti Genesis 1:16-17 and 2:2-3 are clearly reminiscent of the
                Johannine epilog wording of "the Word" and "the light" but I am more
                inclined to believe these are neo-Platonic elements in an antiphonal hymn
                prefixed in the 2nd century to a Gospel that originally began at John 1:19.
                This does not mean that the logos doctrine may not have had a circuitous
                route from the targumym to Alexandrian neo-Platonic elements in Christianity
                to the epilog. Targums were oral and not written accounting for their
                scarcity in the DSS and it was probably pretty much up to the lector in the
                synagogue how he was going to present the Hebrew verse (one verse for the
                Torah, three for the prophets) in his and the congregants' native Aramaic.
                It was a free exercise so he may have decided on a literal translation, a
                paraphrase or an interpretation of what the Hebrew verse meant. I imagine
                that prior to being set down in writing in a fixed form in the
                post-destruction centuries, each lector would give a different form at
                different synagogues and at different times. Of course this does not mean
                that fixed forms did not become codified in oral targimic traditions. If
                the "cry from the cross" is historical (Mark being the original), Jesus may
                have been mouthing a targum of Psalms 22.

                I do not think that the use of the self designation בר אנשׁ by Jesus, about
                30 times in Matthew, was to avoid or obscure the direct claim to being the
                Messiah. I don't think Jesus considered himself to be the Messiah but
                instead exactly what he claimed himself many times, the "Son of Man" of
                Daniel and Enoch.

                There is a ton of literature on Yeshua's use of his self-description as the
                bar nasha (Son of Man) and disagreements on what that meant. If the Dead
                Sea Scroll corpus is a good barometer, the late 2nd temple period saw an
                emergence of Daniel-Enochian fervor. In both Daniel and the Enochian
                literature, the "son of man" plays a central role.

                Yeshua himself, NOT ONCE, refers to himself with certainty as the Messiah
                but instead refers to himself as the bar nasha/ben adam of Daniel and
                Enoch..."coming on the clouds, etc." It was Paul of Tarsus...hostile to the
                Nazarenes, who conferred the name of XRISTOS on Yeshua in his reconstruction
                of Yeshua as the Pauline "Christ Crucified."

                The cradle from which both Jewish and Christian "mysticism" arose was
                Enochian apocalypticism, the same cradle from which post-destruction Ma'asei
                Merkavah (which would eventually develop into Kabbala) and the Hekhalot
                literature arose which deals with "mystical" ascents into heaven.

                Anyone pursuing the ancient Jewish sources from which the Nazarenes arose,
                should read the considerable Enochian literary corpus now available thanks
                to the Qumran texts. The Books of Enoch and their related texts, Jubilees,
                Giants, Weeks, Parables, Watchers, Testimonies of the 12 Patriarchs, Dreams,
                etc. Enochian apocalypticism is a reflection of a Mesopotamian alternative
                to Mosaic" Judaism with its focus on Enmeduranki, the 7th antediluvian king
                of Sippar in the Sumerian Chronicles and a counterpart (or model) for Enoch.

                There was a considerable influence by Zoroastrianism on Judaism as a result
                to the Babylonian Captivity after which they brought the Enochian traditions
                to Jerusalem upon the return. The Jerusalem priests at that time hated the
                Enochian Jews (and it is my position that Jesus was an Enochian Jew) who
                supported the Maccabees thereby gaining favor with the Hasmoneans. These
                Enochian Jews became, IMO, the Essenes who subsequently developed serious
                issues with the Hasmonean priest-kings. I don't think anyone would argue
                that the Dead Sea Scrolls are not strongly Enochian.

                The Jewish Nazarenes ("branchers") were heirs, IMO, to the Enochian
                traditions but Gentile Christianity imported a constellation of influences
                from Graeco-Roman sources. That Enochian Judaism was alternative to Mosaic
                nomian Judaeism can explain why Paul appears anti-nomian and why Enoch was
                not included in the Rabbinical canon.

                Quoted in the Book of Jude:

                "And behold! He cometh with ten thousands of His holy ones To execute
                judgement upon all, And to destroy all the ungodly: And to convict all flesh
                of all the works of their ungodliness which they have ungodly committed, And
                of all the hard things which ungodly sinners have spoken against Him."
                (Enoch 1:9)

                This is not a Bar Nasha that is "just a feller."

                Other references to the SON OF MAN in Enoch:

                "And there I saw One who had a head of days, And His head was white like
                wool, And with Him was another being whose countenance had the appearance of
                a man, And his face was full of graciousness, like one of the holy angels. 2
                And I asked the angel who went with me and showed me all the hidden things,
                concerning that 3 Son of Man, who he was, and whence he was, (and) why he
                went with the Ancient of Days? And he answered and said unto me: This
                is the Son of Man who hath righteousness, With whom dwelleth righteousness,
                And who revealeth all the treasures of that which is hidden, Because the
                Lord of Hosts hath chosen him, And whose lot hath the pre-eminence before
                the Lord of Hosts in uprightness for ever." (Part 8 Chapter 46:1-3)

                1 And in that place I saw the fountain of righteousness Which was
                inexhaustible: And around it were many fountains of wisdom: And all the
                thirsty drank of them, And were filled with wisdom, And their dwellings were
                with the righteous and holy and elect. 2 And at that hour that Son of Man
                was named In the presence of the Lord of Hosts, And his name before the
                Ancient of Days. 3 Yea, before the sun and the signs were created, Before
                the stars of the heaven were made, His name
                was named before the Lord of Hosts. 4 He shall be a staff to the righteous
                whereon to stay themselves and not fall, And he shall be the light of the
                Gentiles, And the hope of those who are troubled of heart. 5 All who dwell
                on earth shall fall down and worship before him, And will praise and bless
                and celebrate with song the Lord of Hosts. 6 And for this reason hath he
                been chosen and hidden before Him, Before the creation of the world and for
                evermore. 7 And the wisdom of the Lord of Hosts hath revealed him to the
                holy and righteous; For he hath preserved the lot of the righteous, Because
                they have hated and despised this world of unrighteousness, And have hated
                all its works and ways in the name of the Lord of Hosts: For in his name
                they are saved, And according to his good pleasure hath it been in regard to
                their life. (Part 8 Chapter 48:1-7)

                The Book of Daniel, like Enoch, was written originally in Aramaic. It
                contains the most famous reference to the SON OF MAN.

                Daniel 7:13-14 (WEB)
                13 חזה הוית בחזוי ליליא וארו עם־ענני שׁמיא כבר אנשׁ אתה הוה ועד־עתיק יומיא
                מטה וקדמוהי הקרבוהי׃ 14 ולה יהיב שׁלטן ויקר ומלכו וכל עממיא אמיא ולשׁניא לה
                יפלחון שׁלטנה שׁלטן עלם די־לא יעדה ומלכותה פ

                13 I saw in the night-visions, and, behold, there came with the clouds of
                the sky one like a son of man (כבר אנש [kibar 'anash]), and he came even to
                the ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. 14 There was
                given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all the peoples, nations,
                and languages should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion,
                which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be
                destroyed.

                Yeshua spoke of himself, just as above in Daniel, at Matthew 24:30 And
                then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all
                the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in
                the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

                .....and at Matthew 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said:
                nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting
                on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

                As you can see, Yeshua refers to himself as the SON OF MAN (Aramaic bar
                nasha) of Daniel and Enoch and not, IMO, as simply the bar nash/a idiom for
                "just a guy."

                An Enochian Jew, in the late second temple period, is one who believed in
                the Enochian apocalyptic such as the Essenes and Yohanan haMatbil.

                Jesus/Yeshua was indeed, IMO, a herald of the imminent malkutha
                d'alaha (Kingdom of God) in the Enochian tradition and, as such, outside of
                "normative" Mosaic Judaism. I think there are other indicators that this
                "Son of Man" from the ancient of days could be "Lord of the Sabbath" as well
                as the Mosaic laws (seen in the formula "It is written" or "You have
                heard"...ABC "but *I* tell you"...XYZ).

                So yes, he was apocalyptic but, in his mind, just not a "sage" but THE bar
                nasha that was expected by Yohanan/John (Matthew 11:3), with a different
                eschatology, perhaps, than the Essenes or John, more ethical than
                apocalyptic, the redeemer of Daniel 7:13-14.

                Having said all this, I am intrigued by the concept of targumym elements in
                first stratum NT material. What the Aramaic speaking first stratum Jesus
                People in the Galilee and Judea knew about the Old Testament came to them in
                oral Targumym.

                Regards,

                Jack Kilmon
                San Antonio, TX
              • jgibson000@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                  On 2/3/2011 1:27 PM, Jack Kilmon wrote:

                  > I do not think that the use of the self designation בר אנשׁ by Jesus, about
                  > 30 times in Matthew, was to avoid or obscure the direct claim to being the
                  > Messiah. I don't think Jesus considered himself to be the Messiah but
                  > instead exactly what he claimed himself many times, the "Son of Man" of
                  > Daniel and Enoch.

                  And what exactly would that claim entail as a public and biographical
                  fact? And how does one claim to be the Son of Man of Daniel without
                  claiming that one is God's elect and the true representative/embodiment
                  of Israel -- which, at least to my eyes, is what the role of Messiah
                  involves?

                  Jeffrey

                  --
                  Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                  1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                    Hi Jack,

                    That's all very interesting -- I don't have the background to comment on all of
                    the Enoch references. I tend to think that the DSS don't tell us anything
                    definitive about Targum usage in the first century outside of the Essene
                    community.

                    I would disagree that Jesus never once claimed with certainty that he was the
                    Messiah (taking the "words in red" from the NT, whether or not you regard them
                    as authentic).

                    Interesting that his clearest claim to this title is spoken to the Samaritan
                    woman (John 4:26), not to the Jews. Is this not consistent with the view that he
                    veiled such claims when speaking to the Jews?

                    But when Peter says "You are the Christ," Jesus says this (truth) has been
                    revealed to him by his Father (Matt 16:17).

                    And at his trial he identifies himself as the Son of Man in terms of Dan 7:13
                    (Matt 26:64 etc.), equating this figure with the one at the right hand of God
                    referred to in Psalm 110:1, whom Jesus elsewhere affirmed is the Christ (Matt
                    22:42-45). At least, his accusers took this as a "yes" answer to the question
                    "Are you the Christ?" and he did not correct them. John the Baptist gave a very
                    plain "no" to such questions, as piety required of him - so should Jesus if "no"
                    was the answer. In the Synoptic accounts of Jesus' trial, then, it seems to be
                    assumed that the one like a son of man of Dan 7:13 was to be equated with the
                    Messiah.

                    Regards,
                    John

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                      >> I do not think that the use of the self designation בר אנשׁ by Jesus,
                      >> about
                      >> 30 times in Matthew, was to avoid or obscure the direct claim to being
                      >> the
                      >> Messiah. I don't think Jesus considered himself to be the Messiah but
                      >> instead exactly what he claimed himself many times, the "Son of Man" of
                      >> Daniel and Enoch.
                      >>

                      > And what exactly would that claim entail as a public and biographical
                      > fact? And how does one claim to be the Son of Man of Daniel without
                      > claiming that one is God's elect and the true representative/embodiment
                      > of Israel -- which, at least to my eyes, is what the role of Messiah
                      > involves?
                      >
                      > Jeffrey
                      >
                      > --
                      > Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                      > 1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                      > Chicago, Illinois
                      > e-mail jgibson000@...

                      Hi Jeffret:

                      Somehow and somewhere the בר אנשׁ and the משׁיחא became conflated. The
                      role of the Messiah in a Jewish context appears to be ambiguous but
                      redefined by Christians. In one Jewish definition (Maimonides), "And if a
                      king shall arise from among the House of David, studying Torah and occupied
                      with commandments like his father David, according to the written and oral
                      Torah, and he will impel all of Israel to follow it and to strengthen
                      breaches in its observance, and will fight Hashem's [God's] wars, this one
                      is to be treated as if he were the anointed one.

                      Messiahs (anointed ones) had always been priests or kings, like David, a
                      warrior king who would overthrow the oppressors and rule over the re-united
                      tribes of Israel. The hope for a Messiah, a Pharisaic concept, must have
                      been at a fever pitch in the last two centuries BCE (134-63 BCE when a new
                      generation of Essenes emerge at the time of Hyrcanus and Alexander Jannaeus
                      and persecuted Pharisees come into the group. This is when the 4QTestimonia
                      was written and the Manual of Discipline expanded. Suddenly we have full
                      blown messianism which includes the advent of a PROPHET and the priestly
                      (Aaronic) and royal (Davidic) messiahs (1QS 9-11). This is also the time
                      when the basic foundations of the T12P (Testimonies of the 12
                      Patriarchs)...previous thought to be of later Christian composition..was
                      laid with its priestly and royal messiahs. T12P was a pharisaic work.
                      During the Roman Period (63-37 BCE) the Damascus Document (CD), the oldest
                      copy of which (4QDb) of 75-50 BCE now conjoins the two messiahs into ONE,
                      the Messiah of Aaron and Israel (CD19:10-11; 20:1; 12:23; 14:19).

                      In spite of 1 Enoch chapter 48 which is late Ethiopian, I do not think, as
                      some do, that they were the same or that it was Jesus who conflated the two.
                      If Jesus was, as I suspect, an Enochian Jew I think he saw them as
                      seaparate. Of course the ongoing contention and debate over the two will
                      probably never be settled and we all have to take a side, right?

                      Regards,

                      Jack

                      Jack Kilmon
                      San Antonio, TX
                    • jgibson000@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                        On 2/3/2011 2:46 PM, Jack Kilmon wrote:

> [...]
                        I am afraid that this does not answer my question. What would someone
                        being the Davidic Son of man entail? How would this identity manifest
                        itself in the villages and by ways of Palestine. How specifically was
                        one to act if one were to claim this role as one's own? What specific
                        action script would one who was Son of Man think he needed to follow?

                        Jeffrey

                        --
                        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                          > That's all very interesting -- I don't have the background to comment on
                          > all of
                          > the Enoch references. I tend to think that the DSS don't tell us anything
                          > definitive about Targum usage in the first century outside of the Essene
                          > community.
                          >
                          > I would disagree that Jesus never once claimed with certainty that he was
                          > the
                          > Messiah (taking the "words in red" from the NT, whether or not you regard
                          > them
                          > as authentic).
                          >
                          > Interesting that his clearest claim to this title is spoken to the
                          > Samaritan
                          > woman (John 4:26), not to the Jews. Is this not consistent with the view
                          > that he
                          > veiled such claims when speaking to the Jews?
                          >
                          > But when Peter says "You are the Christ," Jesus says this (truth) has been
                          > revealed to him by his Father (Matt 16:17).
                          >
                          > And at his trial he identifies himself as the Son of Man in terms of Dan
                          > 7:13
                          > (Matt 26:64 etc.), equating this figure with the one at the right hand of
                          > God
                          > referred to in Psalm 110:1, whom Jesus elsewhere affirmed is the Christ
                          > (Matt
                          > 22:42-45). At least, his accusers took this as a "yes" answer to the
                          > question
                          > "Are you the Christ?" and he did not correct them. John the Baptist gave a
                          > very
                          > plain "no" to such questions, as piety required of him - so should Jesus
                          > if "no"
                          > was the answer. In the Synoptic accounts of Jesus' trial, then, it seems
                          > to be
                          > assumed that the one like a son of man of Dan 7:13 was to be equated with
                          > the
                          > Messiah.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > John

                          Hi John:

                          I am going to clip the double lengthy posts of ours that anyone can look
                          back on.

                          I consider the entire block between about John 3:9 to 4:42 (with absolutely
                          no parallels, even as elaborated or redacted passages, elsewhere) to be an
                          invention of John of Ephesus (that's another story) and I think very few
                          scholars accept Matthew 16:17 as authentic to the vox Iesu. I think the
                          lack of a clear admission to being the Messiah and the clear statement
                          invoking Daniel 7:13 at the trial (perhaps a suggestion of authenticity)
                          supports my position.

                          Regards,

                          Jack

                          Jack Kilmon
                          San Antonio, TX
                        • Jack Kilmon
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011

                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011

> [...]
                              >> the Messiah of Aaron and Israel (CD19:10-11; 20:1; 12:23; 14:19).
                              >>
                              >> In spite of 1 Enoch chapter 48 which is late Ethiopian, I do not think,
                              >> as
                              >> some do, that they were the same or that it was Jesus who conflated the
                              >> two.
                              >> If Jesus was, as I suspect, an Enochian Jew I think he saw them as
                              >> seaparate. Of course the ongoing contention and debate over the two will
                              >> probably never be settled and we all have to take a side, right?
                              >>

                              > I am afraid that this does not answer my question. What would someone
                              > being the Davidic Son of man entail? How would this identity manifest
                              > itself in the villages and by ways of Palestine. How specifically was
                              > one to act if one were to claim this role as one's own? What specific
                              > action script would one who was Son of Man think he needed to follow?

                              OK, let me take your questions individually:

                              > I am afraid that this does not answer my question. What would someone
                              > being the Davidic Son of man entail?

                              I don't think the Son of Man was Davidic. unless I can be convinced Psalm
                              144:3 (the only place it is mentioned outside of Daniel) proves differently.
                              The Son of Man would be a divine figure of Daniel 7 seated at the RIGHT HAND
                              of God (the right hand was where all of God's mojo comes from) and the
                              eschatological arbiter of judgment. I recall this is discussed in detail by
                              Darrell Brock (Blasphemy and Exultation in Judaism.

                              > How would this identity manifest
                              > itself in the villages and by ways of Palestine.

                              The ordinary am ha-aretz were disenfranchised. They lived poorly, dressed
                              poorly and were highly taxed. They were the last at the temple, lucky if
                              they could afford a sacrificial dove. If they were infirm or maimed they
                              could not even approach the temple precinct.The Son of Man could only give
                              them hope and reassurance that in the Malkutha d'alaha it was they who would
                              be first in line.

                              > How specifically was
                              > one to act if one were to claim this role as one's own?

                              The SOM would go from village to village informing the poor and
                              under-trodden by the temple elite that their time was coming. "Tubayhon
                              l'miskene - congratulations you poor!" "Tubayhon l'abile - congratulations
                              you mourners!" "Tubayhon abdai shlama - congratulations you makers of
                              peace!" "Tubayhon laylen d'itirdepu mittol tsaddikutha d'dilhon malkutha
                              d'shemaya - congratulations to you who are persecuted because of
                              righteousness, yours is the Kingdom of Heaven!" The Son of Man told them
                              that their time had come and they would be rewarded. Justice will prevail
                              after all.

                              What specific
                              > action script would one who was Son of Man think he needed to follow?

                              Daniel 7:13 חָזֵה הֲוֵית בְּחֶזְוֵי לֵֽילְיָא וַאֲרוּ עִם־עֲנָנֵי שְׁמַיָּא
                              כְּבַר אֱנָשׁ אָתֵה הֲוָה וְעַד־עַתִּיק יֹֽומַיָּא מְטָה וּקְדָמֹוהִי
                              הַקְרְבֽוּהִי׃

                              I saw in the night visions, and, behold, [one] like the Son of man came with
                              the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him
                              near before him.

                              But the SOM came at the END and Jesus was already there. This is why he
                              spoke of the SOM in the 3rd person. He therefore had to die and as he told
                              Pilatus, return on the clouds of Heaven when he would judge those who would
                              enter his malkutha d'alaha.

                              Regards,

                              Jack

                              Jack Kilmon
                              San Antonio, TX

                            • jgibson000@comcast.net
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 3, 2011
                                On 2/3/2011 4:12 PM, Jack Kilmon wrote:

                                >> I am afraid that this does not answer my question. What would someone
                                >> being the Davidic Son of man entail?
                                >>
                                > I don't think the Son of Man was Davidic.
                                I meant to write Danielic.
                                > unless I can be convinced Psalm
                                > 144:3 (the only place it is mentioned outside of Daniel) proves differently.
                                > The Son of Man would be a divine figure of Daniel 7 seated at the RIGHT HAND
                                > of God (the right hand was where all of God's mojo comes from) and the
                                > eschatological arbiter of judgment. I recall this is discussed in detail by
                                > Darrell Brock (Blasphemy and Exultation in Judaism.

                                Great. But how would one be this Son of Man -- who really is Israel --
                                on earth before the day of Judgment?

                                >> How would this identity manifest
                                >> itself in the villages and by ways of Palestine.
                                >>
                                > The ordinary am ha-aretz were disenfranchised. They lived poorly, dressed
                                > poorly and were highly taxed. They were the last at the temple, lucky if
                                > they could afford a sacrificial dove. If they were infirm or maimed they
                                > could not even approach the temple precinct.The Son of Man could only give
                                > them hope and reassurance that in the Malkutha d'alaha it was they who would
                                > be first in line.

                                That's it? That's how is to be Israel/the saints of the most high/the
                                vindicated one -- by promising pie in the sky to the downtrodden?

                                >> How specifically was
                                >> one to act if one were to claim this role as one's own?
                                >>
                                > The SOM would go from village to village informing the poor and
                                > under-trodden by the temple elite that their time was coming. "Tubayhon
                                > l'miskene - congratulations you poor!" "Tubayhon l'abile - congratulations
                                > you mourners!" "Tubayhon abdai shlama - congratulations you makers of
                                > peace!" "Tubayhon laylen d'itirdepu mittol tsaddikutha d'dilhon malkutha
                                > d'shemaya - congratulations to you who are persecuted because of
                                > righteousness, yours is the Kingdom of Heaven!" The Son of Man told them
                                > that their time had come and they would be rewarded. Justice will prevail
                                > after all.

                                Did he never attempt to institute this justice in the now? Did he never
                                call the leaders of Israel to a new path?
                                > What specific
                                >
                                >> action script would one who was Son of Man think he needed to follow?
                                >>
                                > Daniel 7:13 חָזֵה הֲוֵית בְּחֶזְוֵי לֵֽילְיָא וַאֲרוּ עִם־עֲנָנֵי שְׁמַיָּא
                                > כְּבַר אֱנָשׁ אָתֵה הֲוָה וְעַד־עַתִּיק יֹֽומַיָּא מְטָה וּקְדָמֹוהִי
                                > הַקְרְבֽוּהִי׃
                                >
                                > I saw in the night visions, and, behold, [one] like the Son of man came with
                                > the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him
                                > near before him.

                                Yes, he comes /to/ the Ancient of days, not to earth.
                                > But the SOM came at the END and Jesus was already there. This is why he
                                > spoke of the SOM in the 3rd person. He therefore had to die and as he told
                                > Pilatus, return on the clouds of Heaven when he would judge those who would
                                > enter his malkutha d'alaha.

                                Where is the mention of the SoM /returning/ on the clouds? And isn't
                                the role of judge a role also that the both Israel and its Messiah has?

                                Jeffrey

                                --
                                Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                                1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

                              • Jack Kilmon
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 4, 2011
                                  Sorry about the delay in response. Real life called.

                                  >>> I am afraid that this does not answer my question. What would someone
                                  >>> being the Davidic Son of man entail?
                                  >>>
                                  >> I don't think the Son of Man was Davidic.

                                  > I meant to write Danielic.

                                  >> unless I can be convinced Psalm
                                  >> 144:3 (the only place it is mentioned outside of Daniel) proves
                                  >> differently.
                                  >> The Son of Man would be a divine figure of Daniel 7 seated at the RIGHT
                                  >> HAND
                                  >> of God (the right hand was where all of God's mojo comes from) and the
                                  >> eschatological arbiter of judgment. I recall this is discussed in detail
                                  >> by
                                  >> Darrell Brock (Blasphemy and Exultation in Judaism.
                                  >>

                                  > Great. But how would one be this Son of Man -- who really is Israel --
                                  > on earth before the day of Judgment?

                                  We have to keep in mind that we have to look at this in the context of
                                  Jesus' sayings and try to evaluate what HE thought because there was no more
                                  consensus then among the "scholars" than now. Since the HJ quest has been
                                  primarily focused on his sayings corpus we have to look at what Jesus said
                                  about the SOM. As I said, he spoke about the SOM in the 3rd person since he
                                  could not come FROM heaven on a cloudburst until he went to heaven UNLESS
                                  the SOM was not coming but going (see below). We are also very familiar
                                  with "normative" Mosaic Judaism. If Jesus was outside of that box (my
                                  opinion) as an Enochian Jew, his view of the Bar Nasha would not necessarily
                                  be that which we extrapolate from the OT texts. Additionally, the view that
                                  he learned growing up and the view he held as a developing adult which he
                                  applied to himself may also not be the same. All we can do is look at the
                                  sayings material:

                                  Some are authentic to Jesus and others are not but the last saying in this
                                  list is what I find more significant in how Jesus saw himself as being the
                                  SOM and found itself in the Matthean tradition.

                                  Matthew 8:20 And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds
                                  of the air [have] nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay [his]
                                  head.

                                  Mark 8:31 And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many
                                  things, and be rejected of the elders, and [of] the chief priests, and
                                  scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

                                  Matthew 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to
                                  forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy
                                  bed, and go unto thine house.

                                  Matthew 10:23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into
                                  another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities
                                  of Israel, till the Son of man be come.

                                  Matthew 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold
                                  a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But
                                  wisdom is justified of her children.

                                  Matthew 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

                                  Matthew 12:32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall
                                  be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not
                                  be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the [world] to come.

                                  Matthew 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's
                                  belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart
                                  of the earth.

                                  Matthew 13:37 He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed
                                  is the Son of man;

                                  Matthew 13:41 The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall
                                  gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do
                                  iniquity;

                                  Matthew 16:13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked
                                  his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

                                  Matthew 16:27 For the Son of man shall come in the glory of his Father with
                                  his angels; and then he shall reward every man according to his works.

                                  Matthew 16:28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which
                                  shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his
                                  kingdom.

                                  Matthew 17:9 And as they came down from the mountain, Jesus charged them,
                                  saying, Tell the vision to no man, until the Son of man be risen again from
                                  the dead.

                                  Matthew 17:12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew
                                  him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also
                                  the Son of man suffer of them.

                                  Matthew 17:22 And while they abode in Galilee, Jesus said unto them, The Son
                                  of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men:

                                  Matthew 18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

                                  Matthew 19:28 And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye
                                  which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in
                                  the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the
                                  twelve tribes of Israel.

                                  Matthew 20:18 Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be
                                  betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn
                                  him to death,

                                  Matthew 20:28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to
                                  minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

                                  Matthew 24:27 For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even
                                  unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

                                  Matthew 24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven:
                                  and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son
                                  of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. (this is
                                  right out of Enoch 7)

                                  Matthew 24:37 But as the days of Noe [were], so shall also the coming of
                                  the Son of man be.

                                  Matthew 24:39 And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so
                                  shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

                                  Matthew 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think
                                  not the Son of man cometh.

                                  Matthew 25:13 Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour
                                  wherein the Son of man cometh.

                                  Matthew 25:31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy
                                  angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

                                  Matthew 26:2 Ye know that after two days is [the feast of] the passover,
                                  and the Son of man is betrayed to be crucified.

                                  Matthew 26:24 The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto
                                  that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man
                                  if he had not been born.

                                  Matthew 26:45 Then cometh he to his disciples, and saith unto them, Sleep
                                  on now, and take [your] rest: behold, the hour is at hand, and the Son of
                                  Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners.

                                  Matthew 26:64 Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto
                                  you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of
                                  power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

                                  λέγει αὐτῷ ὁ Ἰησοῦς Σὺ εἶπας πλὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ἀπ᾽ ἄρτι ὄψεσθε τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ
                                  ἀνθρώπου καθήμενον ἐκ δεξιῶν τῆς δυνάμεως καὶ ἐρχόμενον ἐπὶ τῶν νεφελῶν τοῦ
                                  οὐρανοῦ

                                  ἔρχομαι means BOTH arriving or returning, coming and going. It could
                                  just as well mean that Jesus saw himself as GOING in a cloud to the throne
                                  to be seated at the right hand of God as in Daniel. The Aramaic Chayaya is
                                  also coming or going. This would accommodate him as the SOM on earth before
                                  the end times and an ethical rather than apocalytpic eschatology that sets
                                  up the apocalyptic in the future, the Parousia. Luke appears to confirm
                                  this at Acts 1:9 "And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, HE
                                  WAS TAKEN UP; AND A CLOUD RECEIVED HIM out of their sight."

                                  >>> How would this identity manifest
                                  >>> itself in the villages and by ways of Palestine.
                                  >>>
                                  >> The ordinary am ha-aretz were disenfranchised. They lived poorly,
                                  >> dressed
                                  >> poorly and were highly taxed. They were the last at the temple, lucky if
                                  >> they could afford a sacrificial dove. If they were infirm or maimed they
                                  >> could not even approach the temple precinct.The Son of Man could only
                                  >> give
                                  >> them hope and reassurance that in the Malkutha d'alaha it was they who
                                  >> would
                                  >> be first in line.
                                  >>
                                  > That's it? That's how is to be Israel/the saints of the most high/the
                                  > vindicated one -- by promising pie in the sky to the downtrodden?

                                  That "pie" was being FIRST in the Kingdom of Heaven for eternity.

                                  >>> How specifically was
                                  >>> one to act if one were to claim this role as one's own?
                                  >>>
                                  >> The SOM would go from village to village informing the poor and
                                  >> under-trodden by the temple elite that their time was coming. "Tubayhon
                                  >> l'miskene - congratulations you poor!" "Tubayhon l'abile -
                                  >> congratulations
                                  >> you mourners!" "Tubayhon abdai shlama - congratulations you makers of
                                  >> peace!" "Tubayhon laylen d'itirdepu mittol tsaddikutha d'dilhon malkutha
                                  >> d'shemaya - congratulations to you who are persecuted because of
                                  >> righteousness, yours is the Kingdom of Heaven!" The Son of Man told them
                                  >> that their time had come and they would be rewarded. Justice will prevail
                                  >> after all.
                                  >>
                                  > Did he never attempt to institute this justice in the now? Did he never
                                  > call the leaders of Israel to a new path?

                                  The "now" was not his schtick. His primary message and movement was based
                                  around the imminent malkutha d'alaha "Kingdom of God." It was right around
                                  the corner so suffer the "now" just a little longer and be righteous and
                                  "hayden chadau w'arwazu d'agrakon seggy b'shemaya hakanna ger radapu
                                  lanabiyye demin qadamaykon" Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great [is]
                                  your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before
                                  you.

                                  >> What specific
                                  >>
                                  >>> action script would one who was Son of Man think he needed to follow?
                                  >>>
                                  >> Daniel 7:13 חָזֵה הֲוֵית בְּחֶזְוֵי לֵֽילְיָא וַאֲרוּ עִם־עֲנָנֵי
                                  >> שְׁמַיָּא
                                  >> כְּבַר אֱנָשׁ אָתֵה הֲוָה וְעַד־עַתִּיק יֹֽומַיָּא מְטָה וּקְדָמֹוהִי
                                  >> הַקְרְבֽוּהִי׃
                                  >>
                                  >> I saw in the night visions, and, behold, [one] like the Son of man came
                                  >> with
                                  >> the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought
                                  >> him
                                  >> near before him.
                                  >>

                                  > Yes, he comes /to/ the Ancient of days, not to earth.

                                  Or he GOES to instead of COMES.

                                  >> But the SOM came at the END and Jesus was already there. This is why he
                                  >> spoke of the SOM in the 3rd person. He therefore had to die and as he
                                  >> told
                                  >> Pilatus, return on the clouds of Heaven when he would judge those who
                                  >> would
                                  >> enter his malkutha d'alaha.
                                  >>

                                  > Where is the mention of the SoM /returning/ on the clouds? And isn't
                                  > the role of judge a role also that the both Israel and its Messiah has?

                                  Daniel 7:13 and paraphrased by Matthew 26:64 but as I said, I think Jesus as
                                  SOM was GOING in a cloud (Acts 1:9) and would RETURN in a cloud at the
                                  second coming.

                                  Jack

                                  Jack Kilmon
                                  San Antonio, TX