Re: [John_Lit] getting on with the business of John

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 22, 2011
      Hi Hellen:

      Since it is a given that the "real Jesus" is lost to history, the
      "historical Jesus" is as close as we are going to get. We get as close as
      we can through both a critical analysis of the texts and steeped in the
      social, cultural, religious and linguistic anthropology of the late second
      temple period. As a result and per exemplum, I do not know if the REAL
      Jesus wore sandals. I do know that they were the standard footwear and some
      have been recovered at Qumran and Wadi Muraba'at and the texts tell me he
      did a lot of walking. As a result, I think I am very safe in stating,
      almost apodictically, Jesus wore sandals.
      I don't know what the REAL Jesus wore in addition to the sandals but
      standard dress was an inner tunic, a tunic coat (Kitonet), a girdle or belt
      of leather, a mantle that was like a robe, similar to a Gilabiyah and a
      headdress not unlike a prayer shawl or tallit. Examples of these pieces of
      clothing have been found, some fairly well preserved and I would bet the
      mayonnaise farm that is what the historical and the real Jesus wore, albeit
      I cannot tell you about colors. I can tell from the archaeological evidence
      what kind of cups he drank from and ate from and what kind of wine he drank
      and food he ate. We also have a very good idea of infrastructure and the
      types of houses he lived in as well as social and family praxis. I can say
      with strong conviction that he spoke Aramaic and even know enough of the
      idiom to know he didn't say some of the things we think he said.

      I think he really did, honestly and for true, actually heal a lot of people,
      again with good reason rather than "faith."

      All I am saying is that if you look at the whole elephant from all of the
      indicators at out disposal, there is much we can say about the only REAL
      Jesus we will ever know, the historical Jesus.

      shlama

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 22, 2011
        Jack,

        You speak in generalities, but the gospel stories are specific. And that, I am
        afraid, you cannot claim with certainty (the mayonaise farm), what the REAL
        Jesus DID. Did he indeed turn water into wine?

        Matt Estrada
        peasant

        ________________________________

        > yes it is very cold in DC.....I really hate the winter.....
        >

        > One should avoid statements or "certainties" with regard to claims about
        > the "historical" Jesus. I have discovered that all to often people say
        > things about the historical jesus (what he did, how he spoke, where he
        > went to etc...)that sound as if they were personally present at the
        > scenery (no ofense). There really is no straightforward evidence with
        > regard to the literacy of Jesus, only possibilities or probabilities.
        >

        > I also think - but I might be wrong- that you overlook the very important
        > distinction between the real Jesus (whom we do not know and never will)
        > and the historical Jesus (the Jesus we recover through scientific
        > research).
        >

        > Hellen

        > ________________________________

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 23, 2011
          No, Matt, I do not believe he turned water into wine. The miracle stories
          and supernatural events are an entirely different animal in HJ studies,
          primarily ignored in the various "quests."
          In the cyclic "quests" for the historical Jesus, in the past, much focus has
          been placed on the sayings of Jesus. Other important aspects in the "quest"
          have good foundations in the cultural anthropology of
          1st century Palestine. These elements are woefully absent in much debate
          concerning the historical Jesus. The miracle stories, however, were ignored
          because of the historical difficulty.

          In the 1st century Middle East any disease, disability or infirmity was
          considered divine punishment for some transgression against God or for sin.
          This is a silly concept today (albeit still promulgated by primitive
          evangelical types like Pat Robertson regarding the AIDS epidemic). Back to
          the 1st century. Hysterical pathologies resulting from guilt feelings over
          perceived transgressions would have been rampant in that society where
          literally thousands of "sinners" expected imminent retribution from God.
          These hysterically based infirmities, called Conversion Disorders, are
          often seen today by psychiatrists and most commonly are some form of
          paralysis (healed by Jesus at Mark 3:1) 1, 2, 3, blindness (Mark 8:22;
          10:49) 4, skin eruptions, all of which were called "Leprosy" in the 1st
          century (healed Mark 1:40) and deafness (healed Mark 7:32) 5. Given a
          healer whom the victim believed had the authority from God to heal the sin,
          many of these infirmities would have been instantly healed (6) and failures
          chalked up to "lack of faith." The reputation of Jesus as a healer spread
          like wildfire.

          There were other healers sashaying from place to place but the higher rate
          of success for Jesus may have been the perception by the am ha'aretz that he
          was the bar nasha and had God's authority to forgive sin which the gospels
          relate was a sharp thorn in the butts of the temple crowd who could only
          play the "healing on a sabbath" ruse to trip him up.

          The point is that some of the "miracles" actually happened.

          1.Heruti RJ, Reznik J, Adunski A, et al. Conversion motor paralysis
          disorder: analysis of 34 consecutive referrals. Spinal Cord 2002;40:335-40.
          2.Heruti RJ, Levy A, Adunski A, et al. Conversion motor paralysis disorder:
          overview and rehabilitation model. Spinal Cord 2002;40:327-34.
          3.Letonoff EJ, Williams TR, Sidhu KS. Hysterical paralysis: a report of
          three cases and a review of the literature. Spine 2002;27:441-5.
          4.Freud, Sigmund. (1910i). The psycho-analytic view of psychogenic
          disturbance of vision. SE, 11: 209-218.
          5.Loren Pankratza, etal A forced-choice technique to evaluate deafness in
          the hysterical or malingering patient Journal of Consulting and Clinical
          Psychology
          Volume 43, Issue 3, June 1975, Pages 421-422
          6. Ruddy R, House A. Psychosocial interventions for conversion disorder.
          Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005, Issue 4.

          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          San Antonio, TX

          > You speak in generalities, but the gospel stories are specific. And that,
          > I am
          > afraid, you cannot claim with certainty (the mayonaise farm), what the
          > REAL
          > Jesus DID. Did he indeed turn water into wine?
          >
          > Matt Estrada
          > peasant
          >

          > ________________________________

          >>> 20064 Washington DC
          >>> 202-319-6885

          >> Links

          > Links

        • Matthew Estrada
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 23, 2011
            Thanks, Jack, for your well-thought out response.

            Matt

            > You speak in generalities, but the gospel stories are specific. And that,
            > I am
            > afraid, you cannot claim with certainty (the mayonaise farm), what the
            > REAL
            > Jesus DID. Did he indeed turn water into wine?
            >
            > Matt Estrada
            > peasant

            >>> 20064 Washington DC