Re: [John_Lit] getting on with the business of John

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 21, 2011
      From: "Mardaga, Hellen" <MARDAGA@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2011 12:39 PM
      To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [John_Lit] getting on with the business of John

      > Dear Mark, Jack, etc….
      >
      > I am surprised to read the following statement:
      > Peter would say to a group of people in Lydda,
      >> Pontus,
      >> Cappadocia, etc... איכא דאן נהוא פגרא תמן נתכנשׁון נשׁרא׃" Yeshua
      >> amar......'aika den d'hawa pagra, thamman yitkanuon nishrea'" Now I am
      >> confident this indeed goes to the lips of the HISTORICAL Jesus because
      >> you
      >> will notice it is a 2-4 beat rhyme. Vintage Jesus-speak. Then Peter, I
      >> am sure, paused while Mark translated the Aramaic to Greek, " ὅπου γὰρ
      >> ἐὰν
      >> ᾖ τὸ πτῶμα ἐκεῖ συναχθήσονται οἱ ἀετοί "
      >> and the crowd nodded to each other as they heard "wherever their is a
      >> carcass, there also will gather the vultures."
      >
      > The 2-4 beat rhyme you are referring to (and I think you have the book
      > “The Poetry of Our Lord” in mind) is a common stylistic feature. I do not
      > see how you can simply “deduct” from this phenomenon that “the historical
      > Jesus” said such a thing. I think you are overlooking some important
      > aspects of rhetoric:
      >
      > - a feature may be common in a book – several books (e.g.
      > parallelism is found both in John and in the Synoptics) but is that
      > necessary a proof that because a word of Jesus is structured as a
      > parallelism he literally “spoke” that way?

      Hi Hellen:

      Sorry it took me a while. Sometimes recreational computer time comes
      infrequently.

      Concentrating on Aramaic reconstructions of first layer sayings and
      aphorisms of Jesus I find the typical orality devices, of course. Assonance,
      paronomasia, alliteration rhyme and meter that indicate to me an individual
      in a manner that would not occur if the language of delivery would have been
      anything other than Aramaic.

      > - We do not even clearly know which language Jesus spoke.

      Judean Aramaic. To me it is not even debatable anymore. There is a ton of
      evidence in the only real footprints of the historical Jesus we have, his
      words.

      Translational Greek is recognizable by the lexical and syntactic
      interference and in this case that interference is Aramaic.

      > He could have spoken some Greek, maybe Aramaic, read Hebrew….but that is
      > it. We can only “assume” what he might have said

      I am sure he had "get by Greek" having grown up in Galilee surrounded by
      Hellenism and trade. He spoke Aramaic. Those are the only transliterated
      words placed on his lips including the cry from the cross. Whether or not
      he was competent in Hebrew is hard to assess. The reading of the Isaiah
      scroll at the synagogue at Luke 4:21 is special "L" material from the last
      decade of the 1st century and almost certainly not genuine to Jesus.
      Otherwise we have no indications he knew, read or spoke Hebrew and we do
      have indications he was familiar with Targums.

      Jesus grew up in Palestine (not even assuming the Galilee) in the first
      third of the 1st century. As such, he grew up in an Aramaic speaking country
      so it is more than an assumption to me that he spoke Aramaic as his mother
      tongue.

      Even our Gospel of John has an Aramaic sub-structure, in fact the strongest
      of the Gospels.

      > - What about the whole notion of orality? Oral tradition?
      > Parallelism, rhyme, repetition, amplification are not only used in written
      > texts but they also serve a listening audience. It could be that Mark
      > composed the words of Jesus (since he is translating them [!] as you
      > suggest) as a 2-4 beath rhyme (!) exactly to serve the listening audience
      > and to help them remember the content of the gospel easier by mnemotechnic
      > features.

      That is the most unlikely possibility, IMO, since Mark wrote his Gospel in
      his "second language Greek" where the Aramaic mnemonic apparati would be
      lost just as was idiom in many cases. They do not appear until the Aramaic
      is reconstructed. In the cry from the cross, first penned...er...reeded..by
      Mark from his notebook, he chose to preserve it as it was spoken and there
      is no better indication of Judean Aramaic.

      The "cry from the cross" bothers some people and there are apologists from
      Syriac churches (Jesus did not speak Syriac) who manufacture all forms of
      creative "translations." The cry from the cross is clear Aramaic and
      definitively "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"

      I think Mark was correct in his transliteration since the Western Aramaic
      (Judean) would have a qamets qatan instead of qamets gadhol for the lamed in
      alaha. Easterm (Syriac) would be alef (pattah)-lamed (qamets gadhol)-heh
      (hiriq qatan)-yod, hence aLAhy. Western (Judean) would be alef-lamed
      (qamets qatan)-heh (hiriq qatan)-yod, hence aLOhy, hence Mark's
      transliteration as ELWI Ελωι ελωι λαμμᾶ σαβαχθανι . Judean Aramaic
      aLOhy, aLOhy LAma shevawqTAny?

      "God of me, God of me, why have forsaken you me?"

      Some say there a problem with the absence of a smooth breathing for the
      transliterated ELWI? I don't think so. There was no such thing in the
      first century and the original Markan autograph would have had an uncial
      ELWI.

      In Aramaic speaking Palestine of the 1st century, Jesus would not have heard
      Psalm 22 in Hebrew. He would have heard it from the synagogue lector reading
      the Aramaic Targum of Psalm 22.
      אלהי אלהי מטול מה שׁבקתני

      Just one of hundreds of indicators that I have noticed is the rendering of
      the name of Jesus' buddy אֶלְעָזָר in Hebrew el'azar. It has come down to
      us from Jesus' own Galilean pronunciation as l'azar with the dropped aleph
      and transliterated into Greek as Λάζαρος and in the Vulgate as Lazarus.

      If Jeremias, Black, Fitzmyer and Casey are not compelling on this issue,
      then no one can be, certainly not a mere amateur such as myself.

      Is it cold in DC?

      Regards,

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX

      > Dr. Hellen Mardaga
      > Assistant Professor of New Testament
      > The Catholic University of America
      > Caldwel Hall 419
      > 620 Michigan Av.
      > 20064 Washington DC
      > 202-319-6885
    • Mardaga, Hellen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 22, 2011
        Dear Jack,

        yes it is very cold in DC.....I really hate the winter.....

        One should avoid statements or "certainties" with regard to claims about the "historical" Jesus. I have discovered that all to often people say things about the historical jesus (what he did, how he spoke, where he went to etc...)that sound as if they were personally present at the scenery (no ofense). There really is no straightforward evidence with regard to the literacy of Jesus, only possibilities or probabilities.

        I also think - but I might be wrong- that you overlook the very important distinction between the real Jesus (whom we do not know and never will) and the historical Jesus (the Jesus we recover through scientific research).

        Hellen

        ________________________________
> [...]

        transliterated ELWI? I don't think so. There was no such thing in the
        first century and the original Markan autograph would have had an uncial
        ELWI.

        In Aramaic speaking Palestine of the 1st century, Jesus would not have heard
        Psalm 22 in Hebrew. He would have heard it from the synagogue lector reading
        the Aramaic Targum of Psalm 22.
        אלהי אלהי מטול מה שׁבקתני

        Just one of hundreds of indicators that I have noticed is the rendering of
        the name of Jesus' buddy אֶלְעָזָר in Hebrew el'azar. It has come down to
        us from Jesus' own Galilean pronunciation as l'azar with the dropped aleph
        and transliterated into Greek as Λάζαρος and in the Vulgate as Lazarus.

        If Jeremias, Black, Fitzmyer and Casey are not compelling on this issue,
        then no one can be, certainly not a mere amateur such as myself.

      • Jack Kilmon
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 22, 2011
          Hi Hellen:

          Since it is a given that the "real Jesus" is lost to history, the
          "historical Jesus" is as close as we are going to get. We get as close as
          we can through both a critical analysis of the texts and steeped in the
          social, cultural, religious and linguistic anthropology of the late second
          temple period. As a result and per exemplum, I do not know if the REAL
          Jesus wore sandals. I do know that they were the standard footwear and some
          have been recovered at Qumran and Wadi Muraba'at and the texts tell me he
          did a lot of walking. As a result, I think I am very safe in stating,
          almost apodictically, Jesus wore sandals.
          I don't know what the REAL Jesus wore in addition to the sandals but
          standard dress was an inner tunic, a tunic coat (Kitonet), a girdle or belt
          of leather, a mantle that was like a robe, similar to a Gilabiyah and a
          headdress not unlike a prayer shawl or tallit. Examples of these pieces of
          clothing have been found, some fairly well preserved and I would bet the
          mayonnaise farm that is what the historical and the real Jesus wore, albeit
          I cannot tell you about colors. I can tell from the archaeological evidence
          what kind of cups he drank from and ate from and what kind of wine he drank
          and food he ate. We also have a very good idea of infrastructure and the
          types of houses he lived in as well as social and family praxis. I can say
          with strong conviction that he spoke Aramaic and even know enough of the
          idiom to know he didn't say some of the things we think he said.

          I think he really did, honestly and for true, actually heal a lot of people,
          again with good reason rather than "faith."

          All I am saying is that if you look at the whole elephant from all of the
          indicators at out disposal, there is much we can say about the only REAL
          Jesus we will ever know, the historical Jesus.

          shlama

          Jack

          Jack Kilmon
          San Antonio, TX

          > yes it is very cold in DC.....I really hate the winter.....
          >

          > One should avoid statements or "certainties" with regard to claims about
          > the "historical" Jesus. I have discovered that all to often people say
          > things about the historical jesus (what he did, how he spoke, where he
          > went to etc...)that sound as if they were personally present at the
          > scenery (no ofense). There really is no straightforward evidence with
          > regard to the literacy of Jesus, only possibilities or probabilities.
          >

          > I also think - but I might be wrong- that you overlook the very important
          > distinction between the real Jesus (whom we do not know and never will)
          > and the historical Jesus (the Jesus we recover through scientific
          > research).
          >

          > Hellen

          > ________________________________

        • Matthew Estrada
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 22, 2011
            Jack,

            You speak in generalities, but the gospel stories are specific. And that, I am
            afraid, you cannot claim with certainty (the mayonaise farm), what the REAL
            Jesus DID. Did he indeed turn water into wine?

            Matt Estrada
            peasant

            ________________________________

            > yes it is very cold in DC.....I really hate the winter.....
            >

            > One should avoid statements or "certainties" with regard to claims about
            > the "historical" Jesus. I have discovered that all to often people say
            > things about the historical jesus (what he did, how he spoke, where he
            > went to etc...)that sound as if they were personally present at the
            > scenery (no ofense). There really is no straightforward evidence with
            > regard to the literacy of Jesus, only possibilities or probabilities.
            >

            > I also think - but I might be wrong- that you overlook the very important
            > distinction between the real Jesus (whom we do not know and never will)
            > and the historical Jesus (the Jesus we recover through scientific
            > research).
            >

            > Hellen

            > ________________________________

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 23, 2011
              No, Matt, I do not believe he turned water into wine. The miracle stories
              and supernatural events are an entirely different animal in HJ studies,
              primarily ignored in the various "quests."
              In the cyclic "quests" for the historical Jesus, in the past, much focus has
              been placed on the sayings of Jesus. Other important aspects in the "quest"
              have good foundations in the cultural anthropology of
              1st century Palestine. These elements are woefully absent in much debate
              concerning the historical Jesus. The miracle stories, however, were ignored
              because of the historical difficulty.

              In the 1st century Middle East any disease, disability or infirmity was
              considered divine punishment for some transgression against God or for sin.
              This is a silly concept today (albeit still promulgated by primitive
              evangelical types like Pat Robertson regarding the AIDS epidemic). Back to
              the 1st century. Hysterical pathologies resulting from guilt feelings over
              perceived transgressions would have been rampant in that society where
              literally thousands of "sinners" expected imminent retribution from God.
              These hysterically based infirmities, called Conversion Disorders, are
              often seen today by psychiatrists and most commonly are some form of
              paralysis (healed by Jesus at Mark 3:1) 1, 2, 3, blindness (Mark 8:22;
              10:49) 4, skin eruptions, all of which were called "Leprosy" in the 1st
              century (healed Mark 1:40) and deafness (healed Mark 7:32) 5. Given a
              healer whom the victim believed had the authority from God to heal the sin,
              many of these infirmities would have been instantly healed (6) and failures
              chalked up to "lack of faith." The reputation of Jesus as a healer spread
              like wildfire.

              There were other healers sashaying from place to place but the higher rate
              of success for Jesus may have been the perception by the am ha'aretz that he
              was the bar nasha and had God's authority to forgive sin which the gospels
              relate was a sharp thorn in the butts of the temple crowd who could only
              play the "healing on a sabbath" ruse to trip him up.

              The point is that some of the "miracles" actually happened.

              1.Heruti RJ, Reznik J, Adunski A, et al. Conversion motor paralysis
              disorder: analysis of 34 consecutive referrals. Spinal Cord 2002;40:335-40.
              2.Heruti RJ, Levy A, Adunski A, et al. Conversion motor paralysis disorder:
              overview and rehabilitation model. Spinal Cord 2002;40:327-34.
              3.Letonoff EJ, Williams TR, Sidhu KS. Hysterical paralysis: a report of
              three cases and a review of the literature. Spine 2002;27:441-5.
              4.Freud, Sigmund. (1910i). The psycho-analytic view of psychogenic
              disturbance of vision. SE, 11: 209-218.
              5.Loren Pankratza, etal A forced-choice technique to evaluate deafness in
              the hysterical or malingering patient Journal of Consulting and Clinical
              Psychology
              Volume 43, Issue 3, June 1975, Pages 421-422
              6. Ruddy R, House A. Psychosocial interventions for conversion disorder.
              Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005, Issue 4.

              Jack

              Jack Kilmon
              San Antonio, TX

              > You speak in generalities, but the gospel stories are specific. And that,
              > I am
              > afraid, you cannot claim with certainty (the mayonaise farm), what the
              > REAL
              > Jesus DID. Did he indeed turn water into wine?
              >
              > Matt Estrada
              > peasant
              >

              > ________________________________

              >>> 20064 Washington DC
              >>> 202-319-6885

              >> Links

              > Links

            • Matthew Estrada
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 23, 2011
                Thanks, Jack, for your well-thought out response.

                Matt

                > You speak in generalities, but the gospel stories are specific. And that,
                > I am
                > afraid, you cannot claim with certainty (the mayonaise farm), what the
                > REAL
                > Jesus DID. Did he indeed turn water into wine?
                >
                > Matt Estrada
                > peasant

                >>> 20064 Washington DC