RE: [John_Lit] getting on with the business of John

  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 19, 2011
      Jack Kilman wrote:

      > There are many layer to 4G. In my opinion and open to discussion, once
      > they are peeled away, 4G was the first (that's right....first, prior to
      > Mark) and most historical gospel of them all.

      Jack, I agree with you on the priority of John. At least I suspect John is very early, as early as Mark, and independent. I think "priority" is a difficult term if there is independence, and I have a hard time seeing John as dependent on Mark, or Mark dependent on John. Paul Anderson may have something with his interfluentiality, though I still have a hard time seeing clear evidence of that.

      What I question, though, is the "layers" and the "peeling away." How can we really tell? I used to be a fan of Fortna's, but have become less certain. The more I read John (and E. Schweizer's analysis of John was influential on this), the more I see a unified text. And, as my own response to Joseph Calandrino indicated, I think narrative analysis tends to find the story as very cohesive. So I guess my question is how do you determine the layers? How confident can you be? Perhaps a sample would be helpful.

      Peter would say to a group of people in Lydda,
      > Pontus,
      > Cappadocia, etc... איכא דאן נהוא פגרא תמן נתכנשׁון נשׁרא׃" Yeshua
      > amar......'aika den d'hawa pagra, thamman yitkanuon nishrea'" Now I am
      > confident this indeed goes to the lips of the HISTORICAL Jesus because you
      > will notice it is a 2-4 beat rhyme. Vintage Jesus-speak. Then Peter, I
      > am sure, paused while Mark translated the Aramaic to Greek, " ὅπου γὰρ ἐὰν
      > ᾖ τὸ πτῶμα ἐκεῖ συναχθήσονται οἱ ἀετοί "
      > and the crowd nodded to each other as they heard "wherever their is a
      > carcass, there also will gather the vultures." Now to Yeshua the
      > "carcass"
      > (pagra) was the temple treasury and the "vultures" (nishrea) were the
      > Romans.

      And we would agree that much of the gospel of John is clearly very semitic. And I would bow to your expertise about particular phrases that are clear indications of an Aramaic origin. But does this mean a source, or has John either directly written in Greek having a Semitic background? Or Perhaps is he reporting eyewitness account (cf. Bauckham, but also simply the emphasis on "testimony" in the 4G)? How do we know?

      And I am very comfortable asserting the historicity of certain aspects (as I did recently arguing for John's version of Passion dating). But again, I tend to see the whole gospel as unified, and thus don't move easily to argue for sources or historicity simply on pieces.

      > Well now, if the multiple extensions, redactions, glosses, interpolations
      > and chapter shuffling is undone and the remainder back translated to
      > Aramaic (something I am doing) you will have your discourse that moves
      > matters of history.

      So, the story we have is not partaking in "historiography?" (rightly understood as the interpretation of an individual). Granted, John is now what we would call a history... it is exhortation in narrative form to make a point (That you might believe....). But I'm still not comfortable with the need to "extract" the history... and am nervous about the series of decisions that are made to get at "historical bits". The methodology seems iffy to me.

      Mark A. Matson
      Academic Dean
      Milligan College
      423-461-8720
    • Mardaga, Hellen
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 19, 2011
        Dear Mark, Jack, etc….

        I am surprised to read the following statement:
        Peter would say to a group of people in Lydda,
        > Pontus,
        > Cappadocia, etc... איכא דאן נהוא פגרא תמן נתכנשׁון נשׁרא׃" Yeshua
        > amar......'aika den d'hawa pagra, thamman yitkanuon nishrea'" Now I am
        > confident this indeed goes to the lips of the HISTORICAL Jesus because you
        > will notice it is a 2-4 beat rhyme. Vintage Jesus-speak. Then Peter, I
        > am sure, paused while Mark translated the Aramaic to Greek, " ὅπου γὰρ ἐὰν
        > ᾖ τὸ πτῶμα ἐκεῖ συναχθήσονται οἱ ἀετοί "
        > and the crowd nodded to each other as they heard "wherever their is a
        > carcass, there also will gather the vultures."

        The 2-4 beat rhyme you are referring to (and I think you have the book “The Poetry of Our Lord” in mind) is a common stylistic feature. I do not see how you can simply “deduct” from this phenomenon that “the historical Jesus” said such a thing. I think you are overlooking some important aspects of rhetoric:

        - a feature may be common in a book – several books (e.g. parallelism is found both in John and in the Synoptics) but is that necessary a proof that because a word of Jesus is structured as a parallelism he literally “spoke” that way?
        - We do not even clearly know which language Jesus spoke. He could have spoken some Greek, maybe Aramaic, read Hebrew….but that is it. We can only “assume” what he might have said
        - What about the whole notion of orality? Oral tradition? Parallelism, rhyme, repetition, amplification are not only used in written texts but they also serve a listening audience. It could be that Mark composed the words of Jesus (since he is translating them [!] as you suggest) as a 2-4 beath rhyme (!) exactly to serve the listening audience and to help them remember the content of the gospel easier by mnemotechnic features.

        Dr. Hellen Mardaga
        Assistant Professor of New Testament
        The Catholic University of America
        Caldwel Hall 419
        620 Michigan Av.
        20064 Washington DC
        202-319-6885
        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 19, 2011
          Thanks, Mark, Jack, and others! Important issues, here.

          In Christology of the Fourth Gospel, I tested all of Bultmann's evidence for
          sources--plying out his stylistic criteria throughout his commentary within
          John 6, which should be a showcase for multiple sources (as four of
          Bultmann's inferred five major sources--excepting the Passion source) are
          purportedly evident. In that analysis, the distribution of stylistic
          features (other than the work of the narrator) is random--not even
          indicative of disparate material. So, I find no evidence that John's
          tradition incorporated alien sources--Gnostic, Jewish, or Synoptic. John's
          is an independent gospel tradition, developing alongside others, but neither
          dependent on them nor on other imagined "sources".

          So, on the Gnostic question, and in light of the Qumran writings, I take
          John's dualism and enlightenment motifs to be Jewish, and this is bolstered
          by Aramaisms and Hebraisms in the text. What if Jesus himself taught (Is.
          54:13) that they shall all be taught by God--fulfilling the yearning of
          Moses (Nu. 11:29) that all God's people would be prophets with God's Spirit
          put upon them? Maybe the prophet from Nazareth's teaching that all have
          access to the divine (at least potentially) is what scandalized the
          religious leaders of Judea, leading to debates over his authority? Stranger
          things have happened. So, John's revelation-theology is not Gnostic, but
          profoundly Jewish (Deut. 18:15-22). Rather, Gnostic Christianity, from the
          second century on certainly made use of John, and the contacts with the Odes
          of Solomon and other such literature reflects Johannine influence on them
          rather than their influence (or trajectories like them) on John. Judaism too
          features God's enlightening work in the world, redeeming it and empowering
          the faithful.

          On the distinctive Johannine-Markan contacts, none of the similarities are
          identical, so literary dependence (in either direction) falls way short of
          evidentiary proof. However, some contact in the oral stages of tradition
          (ie. two preachers at least--perhaps more, but impossible to ascertain,
          either way) seems likely, especially if purveyors of tradition (see Acts 8
          as an example of such--not claiming this was indeed the case for explaining
          some contacts, but something like this is not implausible--with Raymond
          Brown, here) traveled in ministry together. The very Markan details omitted
          by Matthew and Luke (200 and 300 denarii, green/much grass, etc.) are common
          to John and Mark (challenging theories of added details as mimetic
          verisimilitude being standard operations--Matthew and Luke most often omit
          Markan names, distances, measures, etc.), suggesting contact, but not a
          literary-derivation sort of contact. So, oral-tradition contact is the most
          likely inference, but if so, it cannot be claimed that Mark's tradition had
          to have influenced John's, or vice versa. That's some of the basis for a
          modest inference of some "interfluence" between the early Markan and
          Johannine traditions. Raymond Brown's later Introduction (2003) calls this
          "cross influence". So, I see interfluence happening early in the Johannine
          tradition with the Markan tradition, and later with the Matthean tradition.
          With Mark Matson, I see the Johannine tradition influencing Luke, and
          perhaps Q, if there was a Q.

          With Mark Matson also, I don't think we can know much about earlier nuggets
          of tradition growing like a snowball, although some of that in the Johannine
          tradition is likely. I think we at least have an earlier edition and a final
          edition, but knowing much more (ie. distinguishing layers of development) is
          quite speculative.

          I should point to Urban von Wahlde's new THREE VOLUME COMMENTARY that has
          finally come out with Eerdmans a couple of months ago--he does indeed
          identify strata, and in a very thoughtful way. So, I encourage Johannine
          scholars to look at his work and to see if it holds together, but more
          importantly, what the interpretive yield might be. I should also say that my
          Riddles of the Fourth Gospel (Fortress) is coming out soon, and there I lay
          out the Johannine riddles in exhaustive form--as well as viable ways to
          approach and interpret them.

          Respectfully,

          Paul Anderson

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 19, 2011
> [...]
            > I tend to see the whole gospel as unified, and thus don't move easily to
            > argue for sources or historicity simply on pieces.
            >
            >> Well now, if the multiple extensions, redactions, glosses, interpolations
            >> and chapter shuffling is undone and the remainder back translated to
            >> Aramaic (something I am doing) you will have your discourse that moves
            >> matters of history.
            >>

            > So, the story we have is not partaking in "historiography?" (rightly
            > understood as the interpretation of an individual). Granted, John is now
            > what we would call a history... it is exhortation in narrative form to
            > make a point (That you might believe....). But I'm still not comfortable
            > with the need to "extract" the history... and am nervous about the series
            > of decisions that are made to get at "historical bits". The methodology

            Hi Mark,

            I don't think we can apply any methodology until we can see what
            "proto-John" looked like. I do not see 4G as unified in its present form.
            For example:

            John, as does Mark, has a very profound Aramaic background but the Prologue
            does not. I think it was appended as an antiphonal hymn chanted between a
            lector and the communicants before reading the Gospel which began at
            1:19....but here is the kicker. I think the anti-Petrine Aramaic
            "proto-John" shortly after its translation to Greek...a much smaller text
            than the present Greek canonical John.... actually stimulated the
            composition of the PRO-Petrine Ur-Markus. The Aramaic or translational
            Greek PJ was used, perhaps, as a template around which the much larger Greek
            version was composed around 90ish CE. It is easy to see how the Prologue,
            as happened elsewhere in the NT for liturgical elements, became attached.
            The use of the ending of Mark, removed and edited, as an ending of John had
            a purpose of harmonizing John to Mark to remove anti-Petrine themes hence
            the "blend" of Johannine and Markan style discernable from the rest of the
            Gospel and observed by other scholars.

            1:22-25 added by redactor

            1:30 added by redactor

            1:32 added by redactor

            2:1-10 from "Signs Gospel" appended with 2:11 on later redaction

            2:15 "..and the sheep, and the oxen" gloss

            2:17 Early John was KATAFAGETAI (will consume me), changed by redactor to
            aorist to conform to Ps 69:9

            2:23-24 redaction from "signs"

            3:3 from older baptismal tradition

            3:5 "water" added by editor

            3:13 added

            3:16 added

            Order of Ch 4 thru 7 in Proto-John was 4, 6, 5, 7.

            4:1 "the Lord knew" gloss

            4:2 redaction, contradicts Proto-John 3:22

            4:46-54 from "signs"

            Ch 5 should follow chapter 6

            5:4 redactor (not in Bodmer)

            5:25 redaction

            5:27b "because he is the Son of Man" added

            5:28-29 redaction

            5:25 and 5:28-29 is editor's redaction of future realization over original
            Proto-John's present realization

            6:1-15 redaction from "signs"

            6:23 gloss

            6:27 editor's "future" addition

            6:39-44 editor's

            6:51-58 added by editor to correlate Bread of Life with Eucharist

            7:1 editor's

            7:8 OUPW was originally OUK in Proto-John

            7:15-24 was originally at end of ch.5 in Proto-John

            7:53-8:11 part of a late redaction (3rd C). First occurs in C.Bezae.
            Interrupts flow from 7:52 to 8:12.

            8:12-59 original Proto-John material but for 8:13 added

            8:14a added

            8:14b is original, also GThom 24

            8:15 added

            8:17a added

            8:17b original Proto-John from Deut. 19:15

            8:18 added

            8:19a added

            8:19b original Proto-John also in Q and Lk 10:22

            8:20a added

            8:20b original Proto-John..also Egerton

            8:21b "and shall die in your sins" added

            8:21c "where I am going" original Proto-John..also Apoc James 2:23-27

            8:22 original PJ..also GThom 38

            8:23-24 added

            8:25 Original PJ..also GThom 43

            8:26-28 added

            8:31a added

            8:31b orig PJ and GThom 19

            8:32 orig PJ

            8:33 added

            8:34a added

            8:34b orig PJ

            8:35 Orig. PJ

            8:36 added

            9:22 would have to have been edited after the Birkhat ha-minim in 85CE

            9:35 "signs" redaction

            10:18d "this commandment have I received..." goes with 10:27-29

            10:19 goes with Ch 9.

            11:2 added

            11:45-50 "signs" redaction

            12:44-50 goes with Ch 9 except for editor's 12:48.

            13:31 All of Ch 17 originally here

            14:30 prefaced 18:1 in PJ

            Chapters 15 and 16 preceded 13:36-14:31 in PJ

            19:34 added

            20:11-31 orig. PJ with no parallels in synoptics. PJ ended here

            Ch 21 editor's appendix ending of Mark

            An editor took the last chapter of MARK and appended it as Chapter 21 to
            JOHN...thereby harmonizing the two Gospels.

            The reasoning?

            Mark anticipates a first resurrection appearance in Galilee and John 21
            without the "third appearance" editorial insert at 21:14 is that first
            appearance.
            In Mark, Peter denies Jesus three times (14:67-72). In John (21:15-17),
            Peter affirms his love three times....the pro-Petrine redemption anticipated
            in Mark. This completes what form critics have come to recognize as Markan
            brackets (like the bracketed blind men at 8:22 and 10:46). In Mark, the
            shepherd is struck down and the sheep scattered. In John 21 Peter becomes
            the new shepherd..completing another incomplete Markan bracket. In Mark,
            the first words spoken to a disciple are "follow me." In John 21 the LAST
            words spoken are "follow me" (Jn 21:22) completing another Markan bracket.

            If John 21 was originally the first resurrection appearance account of the
            ending of Mark, Mark would become unified literarily if the appendage is
            restored to Mark..less a few Johannine phrases. It does. I am, to the
            point
            of annoyance to some, the "follow the Aramaic" guy and also find support
            in this from Burney. If John 21 was removed from Mark, edited with a few
            Johannine signature phrases, we should see typically Markan Aramaisms
            noted in Mark and John with none or little in Matthew and Luke. I find this
            in Mark's frequent use of the historic present resulting from Aramaic
            narrative
            participle also frequent in John 21. There is also a connection between
            John
            and Mark's use of imperfects, the rare use of de and frequent use of kai,
            the
            partitive APO in 21:10 used by Mark at 5:35, 6:43, 7:4 and 12:2.

            Glosses:

            4:1 "the Lord Knew"

            4:2

            4:11b "Sir.....

            5:4

            5:27 "because he is the..

            5:40

            6:6*

            6:23

            6:27

            6:51-58

            6:71*

            8:21 "and shall die in your sins

            8:27*

            8:31a

            11:2 added by late redactor to conflate Mary Magdalene with a prostitute but
            at
            odds with Luke 7:36

            11:25-26

            12:33*

            12:47-48

            13:10 "not save to wash his feet

            13:11*

            14:30 "much"

            16:16 "because I go to the father

            18:9

            18:32*

            19:34-35

            Aramaic proto-John would have started something like:

            והדא הי סהדותה דיוחנן כד שׁדרו לותה יהודיא
            מן אורשׁלם כהנא ולויא דנשׁאלוניהי אנת מן אנת׃
            19 And this is the record of John, when the priests
            and Levites from Jerusalem asked him, Who art thou?
            ואודי ולא כפר ואודי דלו אנא אנא משׁיחא׃
            20 And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed,
            I am not the Messiah.
            ושׁאלוהי תוב מנא הכיל אליא
            אנת ואמר לא איתי נביא אנת ואמר לא׃
            21 And they asked him, What then? Art thou Elias?
            And he saith, I am not. Art thou that prophet? And he answered, No.
            ענא יוחנן ואמר להון אנא מעמד אנא במיא
            בינתכון דין קאם הו דאנתון לא ידעין אנתון לה׃
            26 John answered them, saying, I baptize with water:
            but there standeth one among you, whom ye know
            not;

            shlama amek

            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            San Antonio, TX
          • Matson, Mark (Academic)
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 19, 2011
              Helen Mardaga wrote:

[...]

              ================================
              Thanks, Helen, for this comment.

              I think I, too, would like to respond to Jack with a query about the writing process and its relationship to various sources and/or levels of a document.

              I guess I tend to see authors utilizing a variety of approaches, some conscious some unconscious, to influence an audience (thanks, Helen, for introducing rhetoric and its orientation to audiences and the need to persuade). I imagine at times an author casts language in various ways for effect (compare Luke's very Greek prologue, only to slip into a very semitic or septuagintal style in the birth narrative; similarly Luke in Acts frequently adopts stylistic modes in the speeches).

              So I imagine that John might well be doing something similar -- especially adopting some semitic styles in the Jesus teaching sections.. Could this not be simply a Hellenistic Jew who is moderately fluent in both Aramaic and Greek, who at times allows more of the Aramaic memories/oral components to come out more strongly. I say this as a proposal.

              Having said all that, Jack, I want to take your own stratification and see what it works like. That will take a few days.

              But as Paul Anderson noted (referring to Bultmann's segmentation of sources), careful analysis of the text has tended to discount any variety of strata so as to distinguish sources. I found Fortna's model pretty persuasive at one pont (focusing on various aporia, logical breaks, in the narrative as indications of redactional seams), but Eduard Schweizer's careful analysis of linguistic stylistic markers (in his book Ego Eimi), at a linguistic level these layers can't be verified. Have you read Schweizer's book (quite old now), and do you have a suitable answer for his analysis?

              And with this kind of stylistic analysis, if John 21 was originally from Mark, then there has been an extreme and systematic reshaping of the language. It does not sound like Mark, grammatically or rhetorically. It sounds like John (and concerns about ch. 21 have foundered often on the fact that this chapter is very similar stylistically to the rest of the 4G.

              This takes me back to my earlier assertion that John is a fairly uniform text. Does it have Aramaisms? Yes. Is the Jewish substrata of this gospel strongly present? Yes. But that can certainly take place as an author attempts to create a persuasive text to an audience (that might be composed of Hellenistic Jews in part or in whole)...

              Mark A. Matson
              Academic Dean
              Milligan College
              Milligan College, TN
            • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 20, 2011
                Hello Tom and fellow listers:

                I think the very issues of story and discourse are difficult because they have the tendency to deflect inquiry into our texts toward the writer doing the inquiring. This phenomenon occurs primarily because of the interpretive gestures and semantic transformations our strategies betray. I believe Hellen is working this kind of thing through with Jack on this thread.

                Though I am very interested in the assumptions we make as we approach FG (or any text, really) I do not think that the work on which such assumptions operate negates the entire enterprise, except where assumptions contain fatal flaws of logic, errors of fact, etc. Jack, our resident Aramaicist (if I may be so bold), continues to illuminate biblical texts for us with a sensitivity to language and literary convention, even as Hellen's challenges move the discussion forward.

                so, have at it!

                Joe
                Joseph Calandrino

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 21, 2011
                  > I am surprised to read the following statement:
                  > Peter would say to a group of people in Lydda,
                  >> Pontus,
                  >> Cappadocia, etc... איכא דאן נהוא פגרא תמן נתכנשׁון נשׁרא׃" Yeshua
                  >> amar......'aika den d'hawa pagra, thamman yitkanuon nishrea'" Now I am
                  >> confident this indeed goes to the lips of the HISTORICAL Jesus because
                  >> you
                  >> will notice it is a 2-4 beat rhyme. Vintage Jesus-speak. Then Peter, I
                  >> am sure, paused while Mark translated the Aramaic to Greek, " ὅπου γὰρ
                  >> ἐὰν
                  >> ᾖ τὸ πτῶμα ἐκεῖ συναχθήσονται οἱ ἀετοί "
                  >> and the crowd nodded to each other as they heard "wherever their is a
                  >> carcass, there also will gather the vultures."
                  >
                  > The 2-4 beat rhyme you are referring to (and I think you have the book
                  > “The Poetry of Our Lord” in mind) is a common stylistic feature. I do not
                  > see how you can simply “deduct” from this phenomenon that “the historical
                  > Jesus” said such a thing. I think you are overlooking some important
                  > aspects of rhetoric:
                  >
                  > - a feature may be common in a book – several books (e.g.
                  > parallelism is found both in John and in the Synoptics) but is that
                  > necessary a proof that because a word of Jesus is structured as a
                  > parallelism he literally “spoke” that way?

                  Hi Hellen:

                  Sorry it took me a while. Sometimes recreational computer time comes
                  infrequently.

                  Concentrating on Aramaic reconstructions of first layer sayings and
                  aphorisms of Jesus I find the typical orality devices, of course. Assonance,
                  paronomasia, alliteration rhyme and meter that indicate to me an individual
                  in a manner that would not occur if the language of delivery would have been
                  anything other than Aramaic.

                  > - We do not even clearly know which language Jesus spoke.

                  Judean Aramaic. To me it is not even debatable anymore. There is a ton of
                  evidence in the only real footprints of the historical Jesus we have, his
                  words.

                  Translational Greek is recognizable by the lexical and syntactic
                  interference and in this case that interference is Aramaic.

                  > He could have spoken some Greek, maybe Aramaic, read Hebrew….but that is
                  > it. We can only “assume” what he might have said

                  I am sure he had "get by Greek" having grown up in Galilee surrounded by
                  Hellenism and trade. He spoke Aramaic. Those are the only transliterated
                  words placed on his lips including the cry from the cross. Whether or not
                  he was competent in Hebrew is hard to assess. The reading of the Isaiah
                  scroll at the synagogue at Luke 4:21 is special "L" material from the last
                  decade of the 1st century and almost certainly not genuine to Jesus.
                  Otherwise we have no indications he knew, read or spoke Hebrew and we do
                  have indications he was familiar with Targums.

                  Jesus grew up in Palestine (not even assuming the Galilee) in the first
                  third of the 1st century. As such, he grew up in an Aramaic speaking country
                  so it is more than an assumption to me that he spoke Aramaic as his mother
                  tongue.

                  Even our Gospel of John has an Aramaic sub-structure, in fact the strongest
                  of the Gospels.

                  > - What about the whole notion of orality? Oral tradition?
                  > Parallelism, rhyme, repetition, amplification are not only used in written
                  > texts but they also serve a listening audience. It could be that Mark
                  > composed the words of Jesus (since he is translating them [!] as you
                  > suggest) as a 2-4 beath rhyme (!) exactly to serve the listening audience
                  > and to help them remember the content of the gospel easier by mnemotechnic
                  > features.

                  That is the most unlikely possibility, IMO, since Mark wrote his Gospel in
                  his "second language Greek" where the Aramaic mnemonic apparati would be
                  lost just as was idiom in many cases. They do not appear until the Aramaic
                  is reconstructed. In the cry from the cross, first penned...er...reeded..by
                  Mark from his notebook, he chose to preserve it as it was spoken and there
                  is no better indication of Judean Aramaic.

                  The "cry from the cross" bothers some people and there are apologists from
                  Syriac churches (Jesus did not speak Syriac) who manufacture all forms of
                  creative "translations." The cry from the cross is clear Aramaic and
                  definitively "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"

                  I think Mark was correct in his transliteration since the Western Aramaic
                  (Judean) would have a qamets qatan instead of qamets gadhol for the lamed in
                  alaha. Easterm (Syriac) would be alef (pattah)-lamed (qamets gadhol)-heh
                  (hiriq qatan)-yod, hence aLAhy. Western (Judean) would be alef-lamed
                  (qamets qatan)-heh (hiriq qatan)-yod, hence aLOhy, hence Mark's
                  transliteration as ELWI Ελωι ελωι λαμμᾶ σαβαχθανι . Judean Aramaic
                  aLOhy, aLOhy LAma shevawqTAny?

                  "God of me, God of me, why have forsaken you me?"

                  Some say there a problem with the absence of a smooth breathing for the
                  transliterated ELWI? I don't think so. There was no such thing in the
                  first century and the original Markan autograph would have had an uncial
                  ELWI.

                  In Aramaic speaking Palestine of the 1st century, Jesus would not have heard
                  Psalm 22 in Hebrew. He would have heard it from the synagogue lector reading
                  the Aramaic Targum of Psalm 22.
                  אלהי אלהי מטול מה שׁבקתני

                  Just one of hundreds of indicators that I have noticed is the rendering of
                  the name of Jesus' buddy אֶלְעָזָר in Hebrew el'azar. It has come down to
                  us from Jesus' own Galilean pronunciation as l'azar with the dropped aleph
                  and transliterated into Greek as Λάζαρος and in the Vulgate as Lazarus.

                  If Jeremias, Black, Fitzmyer and Casey are not compelling on this issue,
                  then no one can be, certainly not a mere amateur such as myself.

                  Is it cold in DC?

                  Regards,

                  Jack

                  Jack Kilmon
                  San Antonio, TX

                  > Dr. Hellen Mardaga
                  > Assistant Professor of New Testament
                  > The Catholic University of America
                  > Caldwel Hall 419
                  > 620 Michigan Av.
                  > 20064 Washington DC
                  > 202-319-6885
                • Mardaga, Hellen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 22, 2011
                    Dear Jack,

                    yes it is very cold in DC.....I really hate the winter.....

                    One should avoid statements or "certainties" with regard to claims about the "historical" Jesus. I have discovered that all to often people say things about the historical jesus (what he did, how he spoke, where he went to etc...)that sound as if they were personally present at the scenery (no ofense). There really is no straightforward evidence with regard to the literacy of Jesus, only possibilities or probabilities.

                    I also think - but I might be wrong- that you overlook the very important distinction between the real Jesus (whom we do not know and never will) and the historical Jesus (the Jesus we recover through scientific research).

                    Hellen

                    ________________________________
> [...]

                    transliterated ELWI? I don't think so. There was no such thing in the
                    first century and the original Markan autograph would have had an uncial
                    ELWI.

                    In Aramaic speaking Palestine of the 1st century, Jesus would not have heard
                    Psalm 22 in Hebrew. He would have heard it from the synagogue lector reading
                    the Aramaic Targum of Psalm 22.
                    אלהי אלהי מטול מה שׁבקתני

                    Just one of hundreds of indicators that I have noticed is the rendering of
                    the name of Jesus' buddy אֶלְעָזָר in Hebrew el'azar. It has come down to
                    us from Jesus' own Galilean pronunciation as l'azar with the dropped aleph
                    and transliterated into Greek as Λάζαρος and in the Vulgate as Lazarus.

                    If Jeremias, Black, Fitzmyer and Casey are not compelling on this issue,
                    then no one can be, certainly not a mere amateur such as myself.

                  • Jack Kilmon
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 22, 2011
                      Hi Hellen:

                      Since it is a given that the "real Jesus" is lost to history, the
                      "historical Jesus" is as close as we are going to get. We get as close as
                      we can through both a critical analysis of the texts and steeped in the
                      social, cultural, religious and linguistic anthropology of the late second
                      temple period. As a result and per exemplum, I do not know if the REAL
                      Jesus wore sandals. I do know that they were the standard footwear and some
                      have been recovered at Qumran and Wadi Muraba'at and the texts tell me he
                      did a lot of walking. As a result, I think I am very safe in stating,
                      almost apodictically, Jesus wore sandals.
                      I don't know what the REAL Jesus wore in addition to the sandals but
                      standard dress was an inner tunic, a tunic coat (Kitonet), a girdle or belt
                      of leather, a mantle that was like a robe, similar to a Gilabiyah and a
                      headdress not unlike a prayer shawl or tallit. Examples of these pieces of
                      clothing have been found, some fairly well preserved and I would bet the
                      mayonnaise farm that is what the historical and the real Jesus wore, albeit
                      I cannot tell you about colors. I can tell from the archaeological evidence
                      what kind of cups he drank from and ate from and what kind of wine he drank
                      and food he ate. We also have a very good idea of infrastructure and the
                      types of houses he lived in as well as social and family praxis. I can say
                      with strong conviction that he spoke Aramaic and even know enough of the
                      idiom to know he didn't say some of the things we think he said.

                      I think he really did, honestly and for true, actually heal a lot of people,
                      again with good reason rather than "faith."

                      All I am saying is that if you look at the whole elephant from all of the
                      indicators at out disposal, there is much we can say about the only REAL
                      Jesus we will ever know, the historical Jesus.

                      shlama

                      Jack

                      Jack Kilmon
                      San Antonio, TX

                      > yes it is very cold in DC.....I really hate the winter.....
                      >

                      > One should avoid statements or "certainties" with regard to claims about
                      > the "historical" Jesus. I have discovered that all to often people say
                      > things about the historical jesus (what he did, how he spoke, where he
                      > went to etc...)that sound as if they were personally present at the
                      > scenery (no ofense). There really is no straightforward evidence with
                      > regard to the literacy of Jesus, only possibilities or probabilities.
                      >

                      > I also think - but I might be wrong- that you overlook the very important
                      > distinction between the real Jesus (whom we do not know and never will)
                      > and the historical Jesus (the Jesus we recover through scientific
                      > research).
                      >

                      > Hellen

                      > ________________________________

                    • Matthew Estrada
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 22, 2011
                        Jack,

                        You speak in generalities, but the gospel stories are specific. And that, I am
                        afraid, you cannot claim with certainty (the mayonaise farm), what the REAL
                        Jesus DID. Did he indeed turn water into wine?

                        Matt Estrada
                        peasant

                        ________________________________

                        > yes it is very cold in DC.....I really hate the winter.....
                        >

                        > One should avoid statements or "certainties" with regard to claims about
                        > the "historical" Jesus. I have discovered that all to often people say
                        > things about the historical jesus (what he did, how he spoke, where he
                        > went to etc...)that sound as if they were personally present at the
                        > scenery (no ofense). There really is no straightforward evidence with
                        > regard to the literacy of Jesus, only possibilities or probabilities.
                        >

                        > I also think - but I might be wrong- that you overlook the very important
                        > distinction between the real Jesus (whom we do not know and never will)
                        > and the historical Jesus (the Jesus we recover through scientific
                        > research).
                        >

                        > Hellen

                        > ________________________________

                      • Jack Kilmon
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 23, 2011
                          No, Matt, I do not believe he turned water into wine. The miracle stories
                          and supernatural events are an entirely different animal in HJ studies,
                          primarily ignored in the various "quests."
                          In the cyclic "quests" for the historical Jesus, in the past, much focus has
                          been placed on the sayings of Jesus. Other important aspects in the "quest"
                          have good foundations in the cultural anthropology of
                          1st century Palestine. These elements are woefully absent in much debate
                          concerning the historical Jesus. The miracle stories, however, were ignored
                          because of the historical difficulty.

                          In the 1st century Middle East any disease, disability or infirmity was
                          considered divine punishment for some transgression against God or for sin.
                          This is a silly concept today (albeit still promulgated by primitive
                          evangelical types like Pat Robertson regarding the AIDS epidemic). Back to
                          the 1st century. Hysterical pathologies resulting from guilt feelings over
                          perceived transgressions would have been rampant in that society where
                          literally thousands of "sinners" expected imminent retribution from God.
                          These hysterically based infirmities, called Conversion Disorders, are
                          often seen today by psychiatrists and most commonly are some form of
                          paralysis (healed by Jesus at Mark 3:1) 1, 2, 3, blindness (Mark 8:22;
                          10:49) 4, skin eruptions, all of which were called "Leprosy" in the 1st
                          century (healed Mark 1:40) and deafness (healed Mark 7:32) 5. Given a
                          healer whom the victim believed had the authority from God to heal the sin,
                          many of these infirmities would have been instantly healed (6) and failures
                          chalked up to "lack of faith." The reputation of Jesus as a healer spread
                          like wildfire.

                          There were other healers sashaying from place to place but the higher rate
                          of success for Jesus may have been the perception by the am ha'aretz that he
                          was the bar nasha and had God's authority to forgive sin which the gospels
                          relate was a sharp thorn in the butts of the temple crowd who could only
                          play the "healing on a sabbath" ruse to trip him up.

                          The point is that some of the "miracles" actually happened.

                          1.Heruti RJ, Reznik J, Adunski A, et al. Conversion motor paralysis
                          disorder: analysis of 34 consecutive referrals. Spinal Cord 2002;40:335-40.
                          2.Heruti RJ, Levy A, Adunski A, et al. Conversion motor paralysis disorder:
                          overview and rehabilitation model. Spinal Cord 2002;40:327-34.
                          3.Letonoff EJ, Williams TR, Sidhu KS. Hysterical paralysis: a report of
                          three cases and a review of the literature. Spine 2002;27:441-5.
                          4.Freud, Sigmund. (1910i). The psycho-analytic view of psychogenic
                          disturbance of vision. SE, 11: 209-218.
                          5.Loren Pankratza, etal A forced-choice technique to evaluate deafness in
                          the hysterical or malingering patient Journal of Consulting and Clinical
                          Psychology
                          Volume 43, Issue 3, June 1975, Pages 421-422
                          6. Ruddy R, House A. Psychosocial interventions for conversion disorder.
                          Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2005, Issue 4.

                          Jack

                          Jack Kilmon
                          San Antonio, TX

                          > You speak in generalities, but the gospel stories are specific. And that,
                          > I am
                          > afraid, you cannot claim with certainty (the mayonaise farm), what the
                          > REAL
                          > Jesus DID. Did he indeed turn water into wine?
                          >
                          > Matt Estrada
                          > peasant
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                          >>> 20064 Washington DC
                          >>> 202-319-6885

                          >> Links

                          > Links

                        • Matthew Estrada
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 23, 2011
                            Thanks, Jack, for your well-thought out response.

                            Matt

                            > You speak in generalities, but the gospel stories are specific. And that,
                            > I am
                            > afraid, you cannot claim with certainty (the mayonaise farm), what the
                            > REAL
                            > Jesus DID. Did he indeed turn water into wine?
                            >
                            > Matt Estrada
                            > peasant

                            >>> 20064 Washington DC