Re: [John_Lit] Johannine Epistles Symposium!

  • Matthew Estrada
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2010
      Thanks for the info, Paul.

      Matt Estrada

      ________________________________
      From: Paul Anderson <panderso@...>
      To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, October 5, 2010 6:21:11 PM
      Subject: [John_Lit] Johannine Epistles Symposium!

      Dear Colleagues,

      Alan Culpepper and I have been organizing a state-of-the-art Symposium on
      the Johannine Epistles, to be held in Atlanta November 17-19, three days
      before the SBL meetings. Do come if you can, and let others know who might
      be interested. Moody Smith will give the keynote Wednesday evening, as well
      as a second paper later (as he prepares his commentary on the Johannine
      Epistles!), and as you will note from the program, the presenters and the
      topics should be of prime interest for serious Johannine scholars.

      Do also note the sessions at SBL that will be featuring papers on Johannine
      topics; come if you can!

      Sincerely,

      Paul Anderson

      PS Here's the website for the pre-conference symposium and the schedule:
      http://www2.mercer.edu/Theology/Events/Johannine.htm

      McAfee Symposium on the Johannine Epistles

      The 2010 Peter Rhea and Ellen Jones Lectures in New Testament

      McAfee School of Theology

      Mercer University

      Atlanta, Georgia

      November 17-19, 2010

      Location: Atlanta Academic and Conference Center

      2930 Flowers Road

      Schedule

      *Wednesday, November 17*

      6:30 p.m. Dinner

      7:30 p.m. Lecture: D. Moody Smith

      *“Who is Jesus? Jesus is God”*

      *Thursday, November 18*

      *Morning Program*: The Relationship between the Gospel and the Epistles

      9:00 a.m. Lecture: Urban C. von Wahlde

      *"The Brown Hypothesis Twenty-Eight Years On: *

      * Some Agreements and Disagreements"*

      10:00 a.m. Coffee

      10:30 a.m. Short papers: The Brown Hypothesis in 2010

      Paul N. Anderson

      *“The Community that Raymond Brown Left Behind—*

      * Reflections on the Johannine Dialectical
      Situation” *

      Gary M. Burge

      *“Spirit-Inspired Theology and Ecclesial Correction: Charting One Shift in
      the *

      *Development of Johannine Ecclesiology and Pneumatology” ***

      * *R. Alan Culpepper

      “*The Relationship between the Gospel and the
      Epistles of John*”

      11:45 a.m. Discussion: The Brown Hypothesis in 2010

      Peter Rhea Jones, moderator

      12:30 p.m. Lunch

      *Afternoon Program*: The Church in the Johannine Epistles

      1:30 p.m. Lecture: Judith Lieu

      *“The Audience of the Johannine Epistles”*

      2:30 p.m. Short papers

      Peter Rhea Jones, “*The Ecclesial Role of ό
      πρεσβύτερος*”

      Craig R. Koester*, “The Antichrist Theme in the Johannine Epistles *

      *and Its Role in Christian Tradition”*

      Gail R. O’Day

      *“The Failure of Friendship? The Practice of Love in the Johannine
      Epistles”*

      3:45 p.m. Discussion

      Paul Anderson, moderator

      4:30 p.m. Break

      *Evening Program*

      6:30 p.m. Dinner

      7:30 p.m. Lecture: Jan van der Watt

      *“A New Command, A New Ethic?”*

      *Friday, November 19*

      *Morning Program*: The Theology and Ethics of the Epistles

      9:00 a.m. Lecture: D. Moody Smith

      *“Who is Jesus? Jesus was Man”*

      10:00 Coffee

      10:30 Short Papers

      Andreas J. Koestenberger, *“The Cosmic Conflict Motif in the Johannine
      Epistles”*

      David Rensberger, *"Completed Love: A Test
      Probe of 1 John 4:11-18 as an*

      * **Index to the Vision and Mission of the New Testament Church"*

      William R. G. Loader, *“The Significance of
      2:15-17 for Understanding the Ethics*

      * of 1 John”*

      Alan Culpepper, moderator

      12:30 Adjourn

    • David Cavanagh
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2010
        On 06/10/2010 00:21, Paul Anderson wrote:

        > Moody Smith will give the keynote Wednesday evening, as well
        > as a second paper later (as he prepares his commentary on the Johannine
        > Epistles!),

        Which series/publisher will Moody's commentary be released with?

        David Cavanagh
        Major (The Salvation Army)
        Florence (Italy)