Re: [John_Lit] Way, Truth, and the Life from John 14:4

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 14, 2010
      Thanks, Roger,

      I'm not sure what you mean about Paul's receiving his teaching from Jesus,
      but the Johannine-Pauline connections are interesting. A couple of decades
      ago Michael Goulder wrote on Paul's being the Beloved Disciple ("An Old
      Friend Incognito," SJT 45, 1992, pp. 487-513), although that overstates the
      relationship. Still, if the Johannine tradition had some contextual
      development within one of the Pauline churches, Pauline influence could have
      gone in Johannine directions; if John the "pillar" in Gal. 2:9 had anything
      to do with the Johannine tradition, Paul could have been influenced
      accordingly.

      At the SNTS Johannine Seminar sessions in Berlin last month, three good
      papers on Johannine-Pauline connections were presented, so it is interesting
      to at least consider some of the corrolaries.
      http://www2.hu-berlin.de/snts2010/seminare.html.

      On the water and the blood, testified to by the Spirit (1 Jn. 5:6-8), there
      seems to be a connection with that to which the eyewitness testifies in Jn.
      19:34-35--that water and blood came forth from the side of Jesus. The
      emphasis here on Jesus' suffering humanity seems anti-docetist, and
      therefore it is the ethical implications of a non-suffering Jesus being
      advocated by the false teachers of 1 Jn. 4:1-3) that are being addressed in
      1 John 5.

      Paul Anderson