Way, Truth, and the Life from John 14:4

  • rogermott3
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2010
      Hi everyone,

      Glad to see some discussion going on here. This list has been devoid of posts for some time. I have been studying the so called "Gospel of Thomas " for several years and come to understand its "metaphors" for living water, light, and movement and rest of the Body. The triune theme is apparent there as well in the G of John. I understand all 3 to be "spirit". IMO, spirit as defined by Paul and Isaiah is something eyes have not seen nor ears heard.

      I agree with others here that Father/Moses is the living water, light/truth is the Word, and Life is the Holy Ghost called Agape Love in 1 John 4:8,16 and Life by Jesus in John 14:4-6.

      When Thomas asked Jesus, how do we know the way? Jesus answered that he was the Way, Truth, and Life, no one comes to the Father except through the Son.

      I can't help to notice that the synoptics also used the metaphors for Moses, Elias, and Jesus at the transfiguration. I do believe John the Baptist was identified with Moses and water/(way of the exodus), Elias was identified with fire/truth, and Jesus was also the Life which became flesh and dwelt amongst them.

      Both John the Evangelist and Paul received their teachings from Jesus so I would say that Paul received his instruction from both Jesus and John and the other Evangelists. The dates of the published NT writings are not that important and could be anytime in the 1st century. Paul certainly published before his martyrdom and John could have published later than Paul as he is reported by tradition to be long lived, perhaps into the 2nd century. There were copyists of John's work and Jack mentioned another John of Ephesus who could have been a copyist of John Zebedee, the Evangelist.

      Roger Mott
      Niagara County, NY
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 14, 2010
        Thanks, Roger,

        I'm not sure what you mean about Paul's receiving his teaching from Jesus,
        but the Johannine-Pauline connections are interesting. A couple of decades
        ago Michael Goulder wrote on Paul's being the Beloved Disciple ("An Old
        Friend Incognito," SJT 45, 1992, pp. 487-513), although that overstates the
        relationship. Still, if the Johannine tradition had some contextual
        development within one of the Pauline churches, Pauline influence could have
        gone in Johannine directions; if John the "pillar" in Gal. 2:9 had anything
        to do with the Johannine tradition, Paul could have been influenced
        accordingly.

        At the SNTS Johannine Seminar sessions in Berlin last month, three good
        papers on Johannine-Pauline connections were presented, so it is interesting
        to at least consider some of the corrolaries.
        http://www2.hu-berlin.de/snts2010/seminare.html.

        On the water and the blood, testified to by the Spirit (1 Jn. 5:6-8), there
        seems to be a connection with that to which the eyewitness testifies in Jn.
        19:34-35--that water and blood came forth from the side of Jesus. The
        emphasis here on Jesus' suffering humanity seems anti-docetist, and
        therefore it is the ethical implications of a non-suffering Jesus being
        advocated by the false teachers of 1 Jn. 4:1-3) that are being addressed in
        1 John 5.

        Paul Anderson