Re: [John_Lit] Water and Blood in 1 John 5:6

  • Gnostic Tom
    Message 1 of 33 , Aug 9, 2010
      On 8/8/2010 11:01 PM, logosmadeflesh11 wrote:
      > What else needs to be established to make this interpretation a
      > credible hypothesis?

      Greetings, Matthew,

      in short...

      Gnostic literature.

      The descent of Christ from the pure spirit realm
      was expressed in terms of Light becoming embedded in the darkness,
      the darkness expressed as a dampness,
      in their interpretation of the Genesis account
      of the Spirit (same as Wind in both Hebrew and Greek)
      hover over the Waters.

      It is in these texts that you can find the equation
      water = material realm
      which I think you are searching for.

      Gnostic Tom
    • Matthew Miller
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 20, 2010
        > I believe that I understand your argument: You want to interpret the first thing
        > in the comparison (water) in a literal fashion- as normal earthly "water" that
        > can only do what it was meant to do in whatever context it is found within John,
        > and then you want to interpret the second thing being compared/contrasted as
        > referring to something "symbolic"- something "more" than what the first thing
        > can do that is being compared/contrasted. Thus your "earthly" and "heavenly"
        > descriptions. Am I correct?

        Essentially.