Re: [John_Lit] John and Paul

  • Murray Hogg
    Message 1 of 52 , Apr 24 12:08 PM
      Hi Pete,

      I'm responding in large part because I would hate you to feel your query had been overlooked (or even hijacked! <smile>) rather than because I have much in the way of substantial comment to offer.

      A brief review of my personal library turns up very little indeed. I can offer only the observation (and I'm sure it won't be a revelation to you) that Johannine scholars seem to make very few reference to Paul, and only then in order to make a point about theological parallels/distinctives or relative chronology. There is, however, no substantial dealing with their inter-relationship that I could find. I will say that one thing did strike me: given that the same literature goes to some effort to deal with the relation of Johannine and other contemporary thought forms (Jewish, gnostic, etc) it's curious that it virtually ignores any relation between Johannine and Pauline thought.

      If you don't mind waiting a few days, I've sent an e-mail to an acquaintance who's better informed than me and I'll let you know if he is able to suggest anything.

      As it stands, it appears somewhat virgin territory ripe for exploration. As such I can offer very little insight - only I didn't, as I say, want you to feel you had been overlooked.

      I'll be back in touch if I my acquaintance can provide any clues.

      Blessings,
      Murray
      --
      Murray Hogg
      Pastor, East Camberwell Baptist Church, Victoria, Australia

      PHILLIPS P.M. wrote:
      > HI
      >
      > Many thanks for the comments on John and the Beloved Disciple as Paul
      > (!!!!!!) and all that...
      >
      > But my question was whether anyone has specific suggestions for some
      > research on John and Paul - it wasn't related at all to me thinking that
      > Paul was the BD or that they went out for tea one night or that they
      > were related through Auntie Susannah down in Antioch...sorry, nice
      > diversionary conversations (although completely untestable or provable)
      > but...
      >
      > If anyone has any specific bibliographic suggestions on texts which deal
      > with the relationship between Johannine Literature and Pauline
      > Literature, I'd still be glad to hear of it.
      >
      > Pete
      >
      > Pete Phillips
      > Director of Research
      > CBLC, St John's College, Durham
      > Int: 43896
      > Ext: 0191 334 3896
      > Mob: 0787 633 7157
      > Skype: pete.m.phillips
    • Tom Butler
      Message 52 of 52 , Aug 25, 2010
        Matthew,
             I'm enjoying catching up on this string of e-mail exchanges in which you
        are engaged.  You are asking some interesting questions about the Fourth Gospel,
        and you have some interesting theories about how to answer those questions.  I
        believe that such an approach is what gives life to the serious study of the
        Bible and in particular to the study of the Fourth Gospel.
              I subscribe to the theory that may offer an explanation for
        the similarities between the writings of Paul, the synoptic Gospels and the
        Fourth Gospel.  That theory is that a community of scholars formed during the
        first century soon after the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus.  These world
        class scholars of the Hebrew Scriptures, especially of the Torah, were also
        Jewish Christians.   I suspect that such a community of scholars was busily at
        work recording the passion narrative and then building a larger narrative that
        was intended to maintain all of the wisdom of the more ancient Scriptures, while
        recounting the lessons and ministry of Jesus of Nazareth.   Other scholars who
        visited that community engaged in discussion about their work as the community
        members struggled to produce a "Christian" Torah for use alongside
        the Septuagint source for the Scriptures they used regularly for worship.  These
        discussions among scholars could well have influenced the thinking both of the
        residential scholars and those who visited the community, thus ideas, language,
        use of sacred symbols that were being discussed may have appeared in documents
        that were "published" long before the "finished" Gospel (even the earliest
        versions of it) was "published."
              I think this theory or something like it could be used to explain the
        similarities in the use of symbolic language, the depth of
        theological reflection and even terms or phrases that appear in documents
        that appear to modern scholars to have come from different eras in history
        and/or different areas of the known world.

        Tom Butler