Re: [John_Lit] In the bosom of

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2009
      From: "McGrath, James" <jfmcgrat@...>
      To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 3:27 PM
      Subject: [John_Lit] In the bosom of

      >I don't have the reference here at home, but in my book John's Apologetic
      >Christology I mentioned a Jewish inscription in Greek that uses the
      >expression in the context of "in the bosom of Abraham, and Isaac, and
      >Jacob", which, unless one wants to have the individual laying across the
      >patriarchs, must mean something like "alongside".
      >
      > Best wishes,
      >
      > James McGrath
      > Associate Professor of Religion
      > Butler University

      "At the breast/bosom" in both the Hebrew and Aramaic idiom is not physical
      proximity but a status proximity. It is amazing how much Christian imagery,
      tradition and doctrine are the result of idiom taken literally. I have,
      however, gotten through some difficult times with "my bosom buddy at my
      side." Same thing.

      Jack

      Jack Kilmon
      San Antonio, TX