[John_Lit] Re: The Synoptic Problem: A Johannine Solution

  • Kevin Snapp
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 24, 2009
      Sorry, Jack, I responded to your previous post without seeing this one. Thank you for the clarification re "on Jesus' bosom." Do you have citations where the Aramaic equivalent of "kolpon" (I assume chaik or chaina) is used to signify sitting at the place of honor, and not literally lap or bosom?

      You'll have a hard time persuading a lot of people that Jn. 21 was originally the ending of Mark. In that context, the unnamed BD would come out of nowhere. Granted that John bar Z could have been "beloved," in Mark he and James are always a pair, while Jn.21 mentions that the sons of Zebedee were there, then gives prominence to the BD. While Nathanael could also have had the patronymic Bartholemew (Bar-Tolmai), it's mentioned that he comes from Cana, which has no significance in Mark. And the language and pace are completely different. But what do I know?

      Kevin Snapp
      Chicago