Re[2]: Recommended Books

  • gds@dor.kaiser.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 14, 2000
      Folks:

      I am sorry to ask this again, but a system crash destroyed my archived files. I
      am currently writing up a syllabus for Johannine Literature. I want to do both
      the Gospels and Letters. What commentaries are good for the Letters? And, what
      books might you like for textbooks that cover either history of the community
      (besides Brown's), theology, or anthropological/sociological studies. I am
      particularly interested in narrative exegesis or reader response stuff too. Any
      classic articles on these subjects that you would think appropriate for a reader
      would be welcome as well. Again, sorry for the repetition. For the record, I'm
      asking because this is due, and I'm in the final edits for my own book on
      Ecclesiastes, and I'd like a bit of feedback on this. I'm OT by trade, but just
      wanted a break doing something different, and John's always been out there
      beckoning me for the sheer interest this Gospel has always held for me. I am
      fascinated by its cultural hermeneutics.

      - Gary D. Salyer