RE: [John_Lit] Re: Targum backgrounds for John

  • PHILLIPS P.M.
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
      Dear Dan

      Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
      from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
      Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
      documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
      the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
      this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
      to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
      temple Judaism.

      Pete

      Pete Phillips
      Director of Research
      Centre for Biblical Literacy
      St John's College, Durham, UK

      ________________________________

      From: DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com>
      <DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> >
      To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
      <mailto:johannine_literature%40yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

      Hi John,

      I like the work you are doing here and would also appreciate a pdf copy
      of

      your paper.

      Many thanks,

      Danny McGrady

      In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@yahoo.
      com

      writes:

      Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

      > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The
      Targum

      > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

      > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

      > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is
      publishing

      > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

      > Targums of the Pentateuch.

    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
        > Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
        > from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
        > Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
        > documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
        > the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
        > this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
        > to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
        > temple Judaism.
        >
        > Pete
        >
        > Pete Phillips
        > Director of Research
        > Centre for Biblical Literacy
        > St John's College, Durham, UK

        Since the Targums preserve an Aramaic idiom very similar to Old Judean, I
        would not be surprised to see correspondences between the Targums and the
        Aramaic sub-structure of 4G. I do not detect Aramaic interference in the
        Greek of the Prologue, however, and have always consider the prologue to be
        an antiphonal hymn appended to the text in one of its many redactional
        phases. I am looking forward to reading the pdf and would also like to read
        your paper on the prologue.

        Jack

        Jack Kilmon
        San Antonio, TX
      • deanf4545
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
        • John Ronning
          Message 4 of 28 , May 25, 2009
            Greetings Dean,

            Sorry I'm just getting around to this now, I haven't been checking my yahoo e-mail regularly.  The article is attached. Hendrickson is also publishing my book on the same subject (about a year overdue so far).

            Regards,

            John Ronning

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 28 , May 25, 2009
              Pete,

              Sorry I'm just getting around to this.  My view of the date of John is late 1st centruy.  There is a lot in John that depends on the events of 70AD, covered in my article under discussion of "Caiaphas [i.e. unwitting] prophecies," which I believe John saw in the Targums (this identification depends on the connection of targumic Word with the Logos title.

              Briefly to your other q's:
              The extant Targums all appear to come from 2nd century and later, but the argument for 1st century precursors upon which John (as well as other NT passages) depend for illumination is I think very strong - thus the historical evidence is from the NT itself.  I would recommend all of Martin McNamara's writings on this subject, especially his Analecta Biblica volume on the NT and the Palestinian Targums to the Pentateuch.  In the next couple of years Eerdmans should be coming out with a reworked edition of McNamara's Targum and Testament.

              From this it can be inferred that John's target audience (I don't believe in the "Johannine community concept, except that the community is the church at large) included Aramaic speaking Jewish Christians, though it is also evident that he is writing to Gentiles who don't even know the equivalence of "Christ" and "Messiah."   I assume John meant for the former to use his material to instruct the latter (yes, including teaching them enough of the Targums to understand the thrust of John's burden).

              Re. similar backgrounds - I agree there is something to this, e.g. there does seem to be a lot in coming philosophically between targumic Word and Philo's Logos (contra the opinion of many). Ironically this similarity has led people to the wrong conclusions (e.g. Philo or Wisdom instead of the Targums).

              Regards,

              John Ronning

              --- On Sat, 4/18/09, DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
              <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
              From: DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com>
              <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> >
              To: johannine_literatur e@yahoogroups. com
              <mailto:johannine_ literature% 40yahoogroups. com>
              Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

              Hi John,