Re: [John_Lit] Re: Targum backgrounds for John

  • Don Garlington
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
      Yes, please do send me the file. Thanks.

      Don G.

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
        John:

        I also would like a copy of your article.

        Mark A. Matson
        Academic Dean
        Milligan College

        ________________________________

        writes:

        Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
        > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
        > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
        > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
        > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
        > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
        > Targums of the Pentateuch.

      • PHILLIPS P.M.
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
          Dear Dan

          Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
          from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
          Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
          documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
          the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
          this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
          to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
          temple Judaism.

          Pete

          Pete Phillips
          Director of Research
          Centre for Biblical Literacy
          St John's College, Durham, UK

          ________________________________

          <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> <DanielMcGrady22@...
          From: DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com>
          <DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> >
          To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
          <mailto:johannine_literature%40yahoogroups.com>
          Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

          Hi John,

          writes:

          Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

          > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The
          Targum

          > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

          > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

          > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is
          publishing

          > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

          > Targums of the Pentateuch.

        • Jack Kilmon
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
            > Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
            > from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
            > Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
            > documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
            > the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
            > this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
            > to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
            > temple Judaism.
            >
            > Pete
            >
            > Pete Phillips
            > Director of Research
            > Centre for Biblical Literacy
            > St John's College, Durham, UK

            Since the Targums preserve an Aramaic idiom very similar to Old Judean, I
            would not be surprised to see correspondences between the Targums and the
            Aramaic sub-structure of 4G. I do not detect Aramaic interference in the
            Greek of the Prologue, however, and have always consider the prologue to be
            an antiphonal hymn appended to the text in one of its many redactional
            phases. I am looking forward to reading the pdf and would also like to read
            your paper on the prologue.

            Jack

            Jack Kilmon
            San Antonio, TX
          • deanf4545
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
            • John Ronning
              Message 6 of 28 , May 25, 2009
                Greetings Dean,

                Sorry I'm just getting around to this now, I haven't been checking my yahoo e-mail regularly.  The article is attached. Hendrickson is also publishing my book on the same subject (about a year overdue so far).

                Regards,

                John Ronning

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 28 , May 25, 2009
                  Pete,

                  Sorry I'm just getting around to this.  My view of the date of John is late 1st centruy.  There is a lot in John that depends on the events of 70AD, covered in my article under discussion of "Caiaphas [i.e. unwitting] prophecies," which I believe John saw in the Targums (this identification depends on the connection of targumic Word with the Logos title.

                  Briefly to your other q's:
                  The extant Targums all appear to come from 2nd century and later, but the argument for 1st century precursors upon which John (as well as other NT passages) depend for illumination is I think very strong - thus the historical evidence is from the NT itself.  I would recommend all of Martin McNamara's writings on this subject, especially his Analecta Biblica volume on the NT and the Palestinian Targums to the Pentateuch.  In the next couple of years Eerdmans should be coming out with a reworked edition of McNamara's Targum and Testament.

                  From this it can be inferred that John's target audience (I don't believe in the "Johannine community concept, except that the community is the church at large) included Aramaic speaking Jewish Christians, though it is also evident that he is writing to Gentiles who don't even know the equivalence of "Christ" and "Messiah."   I assume John meant for the former to use his material to instruct the latter (yes, including teaching them enough of the Targums to understand the thrust of John's burden).

                  Re. similar backgrounds - I agree there is something to this, e.g. there does seem to be a lot in coming philosophically between targumic Word and Philo's Logos (contra the opinion of many). Ironically this similarity has led people to the wrong conclusions (e.g. Philo or Wisdom instead of the Targums).

                  Regards,

                  John Ronning

                  --- On Sat, 4/18/09, DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                  <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                  From: DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com>
                  <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> >
                  To: johannine_literatur e@yahoogroups. com
                  <mailto:johannine_ literature% 40yahoogroups. com>
                  Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

                  Hi John,