Re: Targum backgrounds for John

  • dean198
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
      Dear John,
      I would also be deeply interested in reading your article, if you could email it to me. I think this line of study will turn out to be very significant.
      Thanks
      Dean
      BA Classics (summa cum laude) May 2009, CU Boulder.
      Honors Thesis: "John Mark and the Johannine Corpus"

      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
        I'd also be interested in a copy.

        Jeffery Hodges

        Ewha Womans University
        Seoul, South Korea

        Blog: http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

        Doctoral Thesis: Food as Synecdoche in the Gospel of John and Gnostic Texts

        Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
        M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

        Home Address:

        Gunyoung Apt. 102-204
        Sangbong-dong 1
        Jungnang-gu
        Seoul 131-771
        South Korea

      • DanielMcGrady22@aol.com
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
          Hi John,

          I like the work you are doing here and would also appreciate a pdf copy of
          your paper.

          Many thanks,

          Danny McGrady

          In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@...
          writes:

          Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
          > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
          > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
          > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
          > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
          > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
          > Targums of the Pentateuch.

        • Tony Costa
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
            Dear John, sounds fascinating. I would appreciate a pdf copy of your paper
            as well.

            Best regards,

            Tony Costa

            _____

            I like the work you are doing here and would also appreciate a pdf copy of
            your paper.

            Many thanks,

            Danny McGrady

            In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@yahoo.
            <mailto:dean198%40yahoo.com> com
            writes:

            Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
            > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
            > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
            > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
            > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
            > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
            > Targums of the Pentateuch.

          • Tom Butler
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
              Dean,

              I would like to receive a PDF file containing a copy of your article, and I am looking forward to reading your book.

              Tom Butler

> [...]

              > done among them?  In the various Targums, it is "how long will they not
              > believe in my Word (or in the name of my Word);" cf. John 1:12, those
              > who believed in his name).
              >
              > In general, allusions in John to the OT, where the Targums speak of the
              > divine Word as accomplishing what the Hebrew text says God does, carry
              > the overall message "the Word has become flesh."   I.e., what God did in
              > the OT (through the agency of his Word according to the Targums), he now
              > does as a man sent by the Father. That is, recognizing the Targum
              > background to John enables us to see "the Word became flesh" as
              > programmatic of the Gospel as a whole.  In my article I show how this
              > pertains to the theme of God as warrior; in my book I do the same for
              > other divine roles, e.g. Jesus as Bridegroom, Jesus as Lawgiver (with

            • Don Garlington
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
                Yes, please do send me the file. Thanks.

                Don G.

                In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@yahoo. com

                writes:

                Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

                > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum

                > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

                > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

                > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing

                > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

                > Targums of the Pentateuch.

              • Matson, Mark (Academic)
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
                  John:

                  I also would like a copy of your article.

                  Mark A. Matson
                  Academic Dean
                  Milligan College

                  ________________________________

                  writes:

                  Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
                  > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
                  > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
                  > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
                  > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
                  > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
                  > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                • PHILLIPS P.M.
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
                    Dear Dan

                    Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
                    from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
                    Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
                    documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
                    the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
                    this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
                    to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
                    temple Judaism.

                    Pete

                    Pete Phillips
                    Director of Research
                    Centre for Biblical Literacy
                    St John's College, Durham, UK

                    ________________________________

                    <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> <DanielMcGrady22@...
                    From: DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com>
                    <DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> >
                    To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
                    <mailto:johannine_literature%40yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

                    Hi John,

                    writes:

                    Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

                    > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The
                    Targum

                    > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

                    > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

                    > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is
                    publishing

                    > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

                    > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                  • Jack Kilmon
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
                      > Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
                      > from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
                      > Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
                      > documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
                      > the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
                      > this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
                      > to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
                      > temple Judaism.
                      >
                      > Pete
                      >
                      > Pete Phillips
                      > Director of Research
                      > Centre for Biblical Literacy
                      > St John's College, Durham, UK

                      Since the Targums preserve an Aramaic idiom very similar to Old Judean, I
                      would not be surprised to see correspondences between the Targums and the
                      Aramaic sub-structure of 4G. I do not detect Aramaic interference in the
                      Greek of the Prologue, however, and have always consider the prologue to be
                      an antiphonal hymn appended to the text in one of its many redactional
                      phases. I am looking forward to reading the pdf and would also like to read
                      your paper on the prologue.

                      Jack

                      Jack Kilmon
                      San Antonio, TX
                    • deanf4545
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
                      • John Ronning
                        Message 11 of 28 , May 25, 2009
                          Greetings Dean,

                          Sorry I'm just getting around to this now, I haven't been checking my yahoo e-mail regularly.  The article is attached. Hendrickson is also publishing my book on the same subject (about a year overdue so far).

                          Regards,

                          John Ronning

                          ________________________________
> [...]

                          > how long will they not believe in me, in spite of all the signs I have
                          > done among them? In the various Targums, it is "how long will they not
                          > believe in my Word (or in the name of my Word);" cf. John 1:12, those
                          > who believed in his name).
                          >
                          > In general, allusions in John to the OT, where the Targums speak of the
                          > divine Word as accomplishing what the Hebrew text says God does, carry
                          > the overall message "the Word has become flesh." I.e., what God did in
                          > the OT (through the agency of his Word according to the Targums), he now
                          > does as a man sent by the Father. That is, recognizing the Targum
                          > background to John enables us to see "the Word became flesh" as
                          > programmatic of the Gospel as a whole. In my article I show how this
                          > pertains to the theme of God as warrior; in my book I do the same for
                          > other divine roles, e.g. Jesus as Bridegroom, Jesus as Lawgiver (with

                        • John Ronning
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 25, 2009
                            Pete,

                            Sorry I'm just getting around to this.  My view of the date of John is late 1st centruy.  There is a lot in John that depends on the events of 70AD, covered in my article under discussion of "Caiaphas [i.e. unwitting] prophecies," which I believe John saw in the Targums (this identification depends on the connection of targumic Word with the Logos title.

                            Briefly to your other q's:
                            The extant Targums all appear to come from 2nd century and later, but the argument for 1st century precursors upon which John (as well as other NT passages) depend for illumination is I think very strong - thus the historical evidence is from the NT itself.  I would recommend all of Martin McNamara's writings on this subject, especially his Analecta Biblica volume on the NT and the Palestinian Targums to the Pentateuch.  In the next couple of years Eerdmans should be coming out with a reworked edition of McNamara's Targum and Testament.

                            From this it can be inferred that John's target audience (I don't believe in the "Johannine community concept, except that the community is the church at large) included Aramaic speaking Jewish Christians, though it is also evident that he is writing to Gentiles who don't even know the equivalence of "Christ" and "Messiah."   I assume John meant for the former to use his material to instruct the latter (yes, including teaching them enough of the Targums to understand the thrust of John's burden).

                            Re. similar backgrounds - I agree there is something to this, e.g. there does seem to be a lot in coming philosophically between targumic Word and Philo's Logos (contra the opinion of many). Ironically this similarity has led people to the wrong conclusions (e.g. Philo or Wisdom instead of the Targums).

                            Regards,

                            John Ronning

                            --- On Sat, 4/18/09, DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                            <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                            From: DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com>
                            <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> >
                            To: johannine_literatur e@yahoogroups. com
                            <mailto:johannine_ literature% 40yahoogroups. com>
                            Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

                            Hi John,