Re: Re(2):[John_Lit] John 6:4 The Jewish Passover Feast was ne...

  • Maluflen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2000
      In a message dated 4/13/2000 12:18:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      panderso@... writes:

      << Leonard, you are right about Matt. 9:36; my apologies. I checked again in
      Throckmorton's Gospel Parallels last night, and he has omitted the "sheep
      without a shepherd" passage from Matthew incorrectly, although there is no
      textual evidence for such a move. But you are right; thanks for pointing
      that out. >>

      Thanks, Paul, and thanks for your discrete correction of my reference (bis)
      to Matt 9:35 instead of 9:36 (though the two verses are intimately
      connected). The reference to the "gospel of the kingdom" in 9:35 may
      certainly have political implications, though I think Matt is more concerned
      with a change-over of leadership within Israel (a messianic take-over under
      divine instigation) than with Roman authority as such. However, the
      eschatological prophecies regarding the coming of God's reign originally
      arose in the context of, and therefore always resonate with the Gentile
      domination of God's people in exile, which, for the time of Jesus, would mean
      primarily the Roman thing.

      >Where could I order a copy of your book? Sounds very interesting!

      << _The Christology of the Fourth Gospel; Its Unity and Disunity in the Light
      of John 6_ is available from J. C. B. Mohr and Trinity Press
      International, and both printings are listed on Amazon.com.>>

      Thanks very much for this. I will order it when I get back from Germany in
      two weeks. (Or should I order it in Germany with J. C. B. Mohr?)

      Leonard Maluf