Re(2): Re(2): Re(2): [John_Lit] John 6:4 The Jewish Passover Feast was near.

  • panderso@georgefox.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 13, 2000
      Leonard, you are right about Matt. 9:36; my apologies. I checked again in
      Throckmorton's Gospel Parallels last night, and he has omitted the "sheep
      without a shepherd" passage from Matthew incorrectly, although there is no
      textual evidence for such a move. But you are right; thanks for pointing
      that out.

      Regarding our present discussion, this may highlight Matthew's realism
      too, whether preceding or following Mark, further bolstering the
      connectedness between the impressions of the Roman presence and issues
      surrounding John's EGGUS TO PASCHA motif. Then again, the adversity of
      the Roman presence would have been felt during the entire first century
      and beyond, so the realism of the texts stands, whether or not it rooted
      in reflections on actual events in the ministry of Jesus. Arguing against
      such, of course, is impossible to demonstrate.

      >Where could I order a copy of your book? Sounds very interesting!
      >
      >Leonard Maluf

      _The Christology of the Fourth Gospel; Its Unity and Disunity in the Light
      of John 6_ is available from J. C. B. Mohr and Trinity Press
      International, and both printings are listed on Amazon.com.

      PA
      Paul N. Anderson
      Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
      George Fox University
      Newberg, OR 97132
      503-554-2651