Re(2): Re(2): [John_Lit] John 6:4 The Jewish Passover Feast was near.

  • panderso@georgefox.edu
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2000
      johannine_literature@egroups.com writes:

      >because they are like ‘sheep without a shepherd’

      This is the focus of the point being made, Leonard; it is in Mark, but not
      in Matthew or Luke. To consider other passages Matthew and Luke leave out
      of their redactions of Mark (or things that Mark has "added" to Matthew,
      in Leonard's view) see tables 10-15 on pages 187-190. Any idea why Mark
      alone has the Micaiah ben Imlah reference?

      >I have no idea what this means.

      The common issue between Mark's and John's renderings of the feeding (of
      the 5,000) narrative is the connection with the looming Roman presence
      (possible perception as a revolt -- companies, I mean "groups," of 50 and
      100 being seated; guerrilla season, I mean "springtime;" just the
      soldiers, I mean "the men," are counted, etc. -- with the implicit threat
      of Roman retaliation in the background) both drawing on OT conquest
      motifs. Some of these nuances (for whatever reason) are missing from
      Matthew and Luke while more amplified in Mark and John.

      I take it to imply Marcan and Johannine proximity to the events themselves
      -- and more realistically so, while independent from each other -- which
      casts important light on the EGGUS TO PASCHA motif in John. It is present
      neither for theological nor for chronological reasons in John, but for
      chairological ones, suggesting a more realistic set of interpretations
      regarding some of the events narrated than some synoptic presentations.

      See also my treatments, if you're interested, Leonard, of John 6:14f. and
      6:66-71.

      Thanks!

      PA

      Paul N. Anderson
      Professor of Biblical and Quaker Studies
      George Fox University
      Newberg, OR 97132
      503-554-2651