[JohnLit]Light in the Darkness

  • Elizabeth Danna
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
      Does anyone know of a really good discussion of light and darkness in John? Thanks.
      Elizabeth
    • Andy Vanvoorden
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2008
        Hi Elizabeth,

        I just finished my masters degree thesis on that exact topic from
        linguistic and theological point of view.
        I can recommend following texts (for a start). Maybe you should check
        the references (bibliography/footnotes) of these publications for
        further study. Most of them are in German (a must if you can handle
        German)... but there are some articles/ books in English as well
        ("classics"; Barton and Labahn more recent).

        C. TRAETS, Voir Jésus et le Père en lui selon l’évangile de saint
        Jean (Analecta Gregoriana, ;
        Series Facultatis theologicae. Sectio B, ), Rome, Università
        Gregoriana (proefschri), 

        R.C. TRENCH, Synonyms of the New Testament, Londen, Kegan Paul,
        , spec. § xlvi; E. A. ABBOTT, Johannine
        Vocabulary. A Comparison of the Words of the Fourth Gospel with those
        of the ree (Diatessarica,
        ), Londen, Black, ; C.C. TARELLI, Johannine Synonyms. in
        Journal of eological Studies 
        () -; F. MUSSNER, Die johanneische Sehweise
        und die Frage nach dem historischen Jesus
        (Quaestiones disputatae; ), Freiburg, Herder,  (zie
        ook in het Engels ID., e Historical Jesus
        in the Gospel of St. John {Quaestiones disputatae, }, New York,
        Herder and Herder, ); C.R.
        KOESTER, Hearing, Seeing, and Believing in the Gospel of John, in
        Biblica  (), -;
        O. SCHWANKL, Licht und Finsternis. Ein metaphorisches Paradigma in
        den johanneischen
        Schrien (Herders biblische Studien, ); Freiburg im Breisgau,
        Herder, ; Zie ook meer recent F.
        HAHN, Sehen und Glauben im Johannesevangelium, in F. HAHN, Studien zum
        Neuen Testament.
        Band I: Grundsatzfragen, Jesusforschung, Evangelien (ed. J. FREY & J.
        SCHLEGEL), WUNT ,
        Tübingen, , p.-; M. LABAHN, “Blinded
        by the Light”. Blindheit und Licht in Joh  im Spiel
        von Variation und Wiederholung zwischen Erzählung und Metapher, in G.
        VAN BELLE, M. LABAHN
        en P. MARITZ (ed.), Repetitions and Variations in the Fourth Gospel.
        Style, Text, Interpretation
        (BETL, ), Leuven, Peeters, ;

        R. BULTMANN, Die Bedeutung der neuerschlossenen mandäischen und
        manichäischen Quellen
        fiir das Verstandnis des Johannesevangeliums, in ZNW 
        () -.
        W.A. MEEKS, The Man from Heaven in Johannine Sectarianism, in Journal
        of Biblical Literature, /
        () -

        S.C. BARTON, Johannine Dualism and Contemporary Pluralism, in R.
        BAUCKHAM & C. MOSSER (ed.),
        e Gospel of John and Christian eology, Grand Rapids, Eerdmans,
        , p. -;

        This book is helpfull for a start and easy to read, but the author is
        rather biased, and clearly influenced by Martyn's theory on the social
        background of the fourth gospel.

        PETERSEN, N., The Gospel of John and the Sociology of Light. Language
        and
        Characterization in the Fourth Gospel, Philadelphia, Trinity Press
        International, 1993.

        Kind Regards,

        Andy Vanvoorden

        On 2-okt-08, at 18:45, Elizabeth Danna wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a really good discussion of light and darkness
        > in John? Thanks.
        > Elizabeth

        Vriendelijke groeten

        Andy Vanvoorden

        +32 (0)479 519 349
        andyvanvoorden@...
        http://homepage.mac.com/andyvanvoorden

      • Elizabeth Danna
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 6, 2008
          Hi Andy;
          Leider ich lese nur ein wenige Deutch. The English articles, however, are no problem. Thanks for your reply. Would you like to share a brief summary of your thesis with us?
          Elizabeth
        • Matson, Mark (Academic)
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 6, 2008
            Elizabeth:

            I might add a couple of references:

            1. Craig Koester, Symbolism in the Fourth Gospel (2nd ed, 2003), pp. 141-174.

            2. John Ashton, Understanding the Fourth Gospel (I am using here 1st ed, 1991.. don't yet have the new edition), see pp 208-214

            Mark A. Matson
            Academic Dean
            Milligan College