Re: [John_Lit] Targum backgrounds for John

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "John Ronning" <jronning@...>
      To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 2:13 PM
      Subject: Re: [John_Lit] Targum backgrounds for John

      > Greetings Tom,
      > A book for an article -- such a deal! I assume it would help if I gave you
      > a US address? (I'm in South Africa but could have it brought by someone
      > coming here frm PA). Many thanks (the article is coming separately).
      > Regards in the Lord,
      > John Ronning

      John, everyone seems to be interested in your article. Perhaps uploading it
      to our file section will save you a lot of e-mailing.

      Jack Kilmon
    • Tom Butler
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 11, 2008
        John,
           Yes, it would be helpful if you could provide me with a U.S. address, though I have sent copies all over the world (when the customer paid for them).  A U.S. address would cut my mailing cost.  Thank you for the offer.
           Your brief description of your article and forthcoming book suggests that you and I may be on similar tracks.  I do not have any expertise in the study of the Targum, but I suspect that the Fourth Gospel may be a skillfully written Midrash of the Gospel story, an effort to write the Christian Gospel using the language of the Septuagint, perhaps even an effort to re-write (update?) the Torah in the light of Christ.
           Specifically, I have suggested that the writer(s) of the Fourth Gospel use "signs" (words and symbols taken from the Septuagint - especially from the Torah) to show to initiated readers how Jesus systematically replaced every element of the Mosaic system of worship: the temple, the festivals of sacrifice and the priesthood.  My book focuses on John 11, 12 and 13, what I call "the ordination trilogy," showing how Jesus replaced the priesthood with His own disciples, including Mary of Bethany, my candidate for the role of "Beloved Disciple," who is given a status equivalent to that of Peter (bishop) and entrusted with the task of maintaining the tradition of His death.
            Clearly I'm on unorthodox ground.  I'm always hoping that someone has traveled in similar territory and can enter into a scholarly dialogue with me regarding what I think I've found.  The contributors to this list include some who have been willing to venture for a short way in that direction with me.  I'm hoping you will be one too.
        In Christ's service,
        Tom Butler

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
          Dear John,
          I would also be deeply interested in reading your article, if you could email it to me. I think this line of study will turn out to be very significant.
          Thanks
          Dean
          BA Classics (summa cum laude) May 2009, CU Boulder.
          Honors Thesis: "John Mark and the Johannine Corpus"

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
            I'd also be interested in a copy.

            Jeffery Hodges

            Ewha Womans University
            Seoul, South Korea

            Blog: http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

            Doctoral Thesis: Food as Synecdoche in the Gospel of John and Gnostic Texts

            Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
            M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

            Home Address:

            Gunyoung Apt. 102-204
            Sangbong-dong 1
            Jungnang-gu
            Seoul 131-771
            South Korea

          • DanielMcGrady22@aol.com
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
              Hi John,

              I like the work you are doing here and would also appreciate a pdf copy of
              your paper.

              Many thanks,

              Danny McGrady

              In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@...
              writes:

              Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
              > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
              > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
              > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
              > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
              > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
              > Targums of the Pentateuch.

            • Tony Costa
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                Dear John, sounds fascinating. I would appreciate a pdf copy of your paper
                as well.

                Best regards,

                Tony Costa

                _____

                I like the work you are doing here and would also appreciate a pdf copy of
                your paper.

                Many thanks,

                Danny McGrady

                In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@yahoo.
                <mailto:dean198%40yahoo.com> com
                writes:

                Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
                > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
                > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
                > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
                > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
                > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
                > Targums of the Pentateuch.

              • Tom Butler
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
                  Dean,

                  I would like to receive a PDF file containing a copy of your article, and I am looking forward to reading your book.

                  Tom Butler

> [...]

                  > done among them?  In the various Targums, it is "how long will they not
                  > believe in my Word (or in the name of my Word);" cf. John 1:12, those
                  > who believed in his name).
                  >
                  > In general, allusions in John to the OT, where the Targums speak of the
                  > divine Word as accomplishing what the Hebrew text says God does, carry
                  > the overall message "the Word has become flesh."   I.e., what God did in
                  > the OT (through the agency of his Word according to the Targums), he now
                  > does as a man sent by the Father. That is, recognizing the Targum
                  > background to John enables us to see "the Word became flesh" as
                  > programmatic of the Gospel as a whole.  In my article I show how this
                  > pertains to the theme of God as warrior; in my book I do the same for
                  > other divine roles, e.g. Jesus as Bridegroom, Jesus as Lawgiver (with

                • Don Garlington
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
                    Yes, please do send me the file. Thanks.

                    Don G.

                    In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@yahoo. com

                    writes:

                    Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

                    > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum

                    > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

                    > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

                    > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing

                    > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

                    > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
                      John:

                      I also would like a copy of your article.

                      Mark A. Matson
                      Academic Dean
                      Milligan College

                      ________________________________

                      writes:

                      Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
                      > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
                      > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
                      > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
                      > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
                      > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
                      > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                    • PHILLIPS P.M.
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
                        Dear Dan

                        Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
                        from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
                        Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
                        documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
                        the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
                        this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
                        to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
                        temple Judaism.

                        Pete

                        Pete Phillips
                        Director of Research
                        Centre for Biblical Literacy
                        St John's College, Durham, UK

                        ________________________________

                        <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> <DanielMcGrady22@...
                        From: DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com>
                        <DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> >
                        To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
                        <mailto:johannine_literature%40yahoogroups.com>
                        Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

                        Hi John,

                        writes:

                        Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

                        > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The
                        Targum

                        > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

                        > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

                        > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is
                        publishing

                        > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

                        > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                      • Jack Kilmon
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
                          > Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
                          > from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
                          > Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
                          > documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
                          > the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
                          > this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
                          > to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
                          > temple Judaism.
                          >
                          > Pete
                          >
                          > Pete Phillips
                          > Director of Research
                          > Centre for Biblical Literacy
                          > St John's College, Durham, UK

                          Since the Targums preserve an Aramaic idiom very similar to Old Judean, I
                          would not be surprised to see correspondences between the Targums and the
                          Aramaic sub-structure of 4G. I do not detect Aramaic interference in the
                          Greek of the Prologue, however, and have always consider the prologue to be
                          an antiphonal hymn appended to the text in one of its many redactional
                          phases. I am looking forward to reading the pdf and would also like to read
                          your paper on the prologue.

                          Jack

                          Jack Kilmon
                          San Antonio, TX
                        • deanf4545
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
                          • John Ronning
                            Message 13 of 28 , May 25 6:14 AM
                              Greetings Dean,

                              Sorry I'm just getting around to this now, I haven't been checking my yahoo e-mail regularly.  The article is attached. Hendrickson is also publishing my book on the same subject (about a year overdue so far).

                              Regards,

                              John Ronning

                              ________________________________
> [...]

                              > how long will they not believe in me, in spite of all the signs I have
                              > done among them? In the various Targums, it is "how long will they not
                              > believe in my Word (or in the name of my Word);" cf. John 1:12, those
                              > who believed in his name).
                              >
                              > In general, allusions in John to the OT, where the Targums speak of the
                              > divine Word as accomplishing what the Hebrew text says God does, carry
                              > the overall message "the Word has become flesh." I.e., what God did in
                              > the OT (through the agency of his Word according to the Targums), he now
                              > does as a man sent by the Father. That is, recognizing the Targum
                              > background to John enables us to see "the Word became flesh" as
                              > programmatic of the Gospel as a whole. In my article I show how this
                              > pertains to the theme of God as warrior; in my book I do the same for
                              > other divine roles, e.g. Jesus as Bridegroom, Jesus as Lawgiver (with

                            • John Ronning
                              Message 14 of 28 , May 25 6:53 AM
                                Pete,

                                Sorry I'm just getting around to this.  My view of the date of John is late 1st centruy.  There is a lot in John that depends on the events of 70AD, covered in my article under discussion of "Caiaphas [i.e. unwitting] prophecies," which I believe John saw in the Targums (this identification depends on the connection of targumic Word with the Logos title.

                                Briefly to your other q's:
                                The extant Targums all appear to come from 2nd century and later, but the argument for 1st century precursors upon which John (as well as other NT passages) depend for illumination is I think very strong - thus the historical evidence is from the NT itself.  I would recommend all of Martin McNamara's writings on this subject, especially his Analecta Biblica volume on the NT and the Palestinian Targums to the Pentateuch.  In the next couple of years Eerdmans should be coming out with a reworked edition of McNamara's Targum and Testament.

                                From this it can be inferred that John's target audience (I don't believe in the "Johannine community concept, except that the community is the church at large) included Aramaic speaking Jewish Christians, though it is also evident that he is writing to Gentiles who don't even know the equivalence of "Christ" and "Messiah."   I assume John meant for the former to use his material to instruct the latter (yes, including teaching them enough of the Targums to understand the thrust of John's burden).

                                Re. similar backgrounds - I agree there is something to this, e.g. there does seem to be a lot in coming philosophically between targumic Word and Philo's Logos (contra the opinion of many). Ironically this similarity has led people to the wrong conclusions (e.g. Philo or Wisdom instead of the Targums).

                                Regards,

                                John Ronning

                                --- On Sat, 4/18/09, DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                                <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                                From: DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com>
                                <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> >
                                To: johannine_literatur e@yahoogroups. com
                                <mailto:johannine_ literature% 40yahoogroups. com>
                                Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

                                Hi John,