Re: [John_Lit] Targum backgrounds for John

  • John Ronning
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
      Greetings Tom,
      A book for an article -- such a deal!  I assume it would help if I gave you a US address? (I'm in South Africa but could have it brought by someone coming here frm PA). Many thanks (the article is coming separately).
      Regards in the Lord,
      John Ronning

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
        Below is an example of something that is expressly forbidden by out
        protocols . but which has happened at least 4 times today -- the
        quotation not just of the entirety of a message one is responding to,
        but of a string of messages.

        PLEASE quote only as much of a post you are responding to as is
        necessary to give your message its proper context.

        Those who do not snip their posts according to protocols will be placed
        on moderated status and their messages that contain excessive quotes
        will be rejected.

        Jeffrey Gibson

        *********

        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
        Chicago, Illinois
        e-mail jgibson000@...
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
          Jack, you probably mean to address John Ronning.

          Jeffery Hodges

          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
            Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

            "PLEASE quote only as much of a post you are responding to as is
            necessary to give your message its proper context."

            My apologies, Jeffrey. I just realized that I'm twice one of the guilty parties.

          • Jack Kilmon
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
              Yepper, sure did, Jeffery. Thanks.

              John?

              Jack Kilmon
              jkilmon@...

              > Jack, you probably mean to address John Ronning.
              >
              > Jeffery Hodges

            • Jack Kilmon
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 11, 2008
                  John,
                     Yes, it would be helpful if you could provide me with a U.S. address, though I have sent copies all over the world (when the customer paid for them).  A U.S. address would cut my mailing cost.  Thank you for the offer.
                     Your brief description of your article and forthcoming book suggests that you and I may be on similar tracks.  I do not have any expertise in the study of the Targum, but I suspect that the Fourth Gospel may be a skillfully written Midrash of the Gospel story, an effort to write the Christian Gospel using the language of the Septuagint, perhaps even an effort to re-write (update?) the Torah in the light of Christ.
                     Specifically, I have suggested that the writer(s) of the Fourth Gospel use "signs" (words and symbols taken from the Septuagint - especially from the Torah) to show to initiated readers how Jesus systematically replaced every element of the Mosaic system of worship: the temple, the festivals of sacrifice and the priesthood.  My book focuses on John 11, 12 and 13, what I call "the ordination trilogy," showing how Jesus replaced the priesthood with His own disciples, including Mary of Bethany, my candidate for the role of "Beloved Disciple," who is given a status equivalent to that of Peter (bishop) and entrusted with the task of maintaining the tradition of His death.
                      Clearly I'm on unorthodox ground.  I'm always hoping that someone has traveled in similar territory and can enter into a scholarly dialogue with me regarding what I think I've found.  The contributors to this list include some who have been willing to venture for a short way in that direction with me.  I'm hoping you will be one too.
                  In Christ's service,
                  Tom Butler

                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                    Dear John,
                    I would also be deeply interested in reading your article, if you could email it to me. I think this line of study will turn out to be very significant.
                    Thanks
                    Dean
                    BA Classics (summa cum laude) May 2009, CU Boulder.
                    Honors Thesis: "John Mark and the Johannine Corpus"

                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                      I'd also be interested in a copy.

                      Jeffery Hodges

                      Ewha Womans University
                      Seoul, South Korea

                      Blog: http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

                      Doctoral Thesis: Food as Synecdoche in the Gospel of John and Gnostic Texts

                      Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley

                    • DanielMcGrady22@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                        Hi John,

                        I like the work you are doing here and would also appreciate a pdf copy of
                        your paper.

                        Many thanks,

                        Danny McGrady

                        In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@...
                        writes:

                        Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
                        > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
                        > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
                        > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
                        > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
                        > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
                        > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                      • Tony Costa
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 18, 2009
                          Dear John, sounds fascinating. I would appreciate a pdf copy of your paper
                          as well.

                          Best regards,

                          Tony Costa

                          _____

                          I like the work you are doing here and would also appreciate a pdf copy of
                          your paper.

                          Many thanks,

                          Danny McGrady

                          In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@yahoo.
                          <mailto:dean198%40yahoo.com> com
                          writes:

                          Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
                          > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
                          > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
                          > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
                          > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
                          > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
                          > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                        • Tom Butler
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
                            Dean,

                            I would like to receive a PDF file containing a copy of your article, and I am looking forward to reading your book.

                            Tom Butler

> [...]

                            > done among them?  In the various Targums, it is "how long will they not
                            > believe in my Word (or in the name of my Word);" cf. John 1:12, those
                            > who believed in his name).
                            >
                            > In general, allusions in John to the OT, where the Targums speak of the
                            > divine Word as accomplishing what the Hebrew text says God does, carry
                            > the overall message "the Word has become flesh."   I.e., what God did in
                            > the OT (through the agency of his Word according to the Targums), he now
                            > does as a man sent by the Father. That is, recognizing the Targum
                            > background to John enables us to see "the Word became flesh" as
                            > programmatic of the Gospel as a whole.  In my article I show how this
                            > pertains to the theme of God as warrior; in my book I do the same for
                            > other divine roles, e.g. Jesus as Bridegroom, Jesus as Lawgiver (with

                          • Don Garlington
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
                              Yes, please do send me the file. Thanks.

                              Don G.

                              In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@yahoo. com

                              writes:

                              Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

                              > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum

                              > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

                              > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

                              > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing

                              > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

                              > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                            • Matson, Mark (Academic)
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 19, 2009
                                John:

                                I also would like a copy of your article.

                                Mark A. Matson
                                Academic Dean
                                Milligan College

                                ________________________________

                                writes:

                                Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
                                > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
                                > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
                                > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
                                > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
                                > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
                                > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                              • PHILLIPS P.M.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
                                  Dear Dan

                                  Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
                                  from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
                                  Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
                                  documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
                                  the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
                                  this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
                                  to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
                                  temple Judaism.

                                  Pete

                                  Pete Phillips
                                  Director of Research
                                  Centre for Biblical Literacy
                                  St John's College, Durham, UK

                                  ________________________________

                                  <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> <DanielMcGrady22@...
                                  From: DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com>
                                  <DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> >
                                  To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
                                  <mailto:johannine_literature%40yahoogroups.com>
                                  Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

                                  Hi John,

                                  writes:

                                  Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

                                  > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The
                                  Targum

                                  > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

                                  > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

                                  > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is
                                  publishing

                                  > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

                                  > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                                • Jack Kilmon
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
                                    > Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
                                    > from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
                                    > Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
                                    > documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
                                    > the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
                                    > this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
                                    > to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
                                    > temple Judaism.
                                    >
                                    > Pete
                                    >
                                    > Pete Phillips
                                    > Director of Research
                                    > Centre for Biblical Literacy
                                    > St John's College, Durham, UK

                                    Since the Targums preserve an Aramaic idiom very similar to Old Judean, I
                                    would not be surprised to see correspondences between the Targums and the
                                    Aramaic sub-structure of 4G. I do not detect Aramaic interference in the
                                    Greek of the Prologue, however, and have always consider the prologue to be
                                    an antiphonal hymn appended to the text in one of its many redactional
                                    phases. I am looking forward to reading the pdf and would also like to read
                                    your paper on the prologue.

                                    Jack

                                    Jack Kilmon
                                    San Antonio, TX
                                  • deanf4545
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 20, 2009
                                    • John Ronning
                                      Message 18 of 28 , May 25, 2009
                                        Greetings Dean,

                                        Sorry I'm just getting around to this now, I haven't been checking my yahoo e-mail regularly.  The article is attached. Hendrickson is also publishing my book on the same subject (about a year overdue so far).

                                        Regards,

                                        John Ronning

                                        ________________________________
> [...]

                                        > how long will they not believe in me, in spite of all the signs I have
                                        > done among them? In the various Targums, it is "how long will they not
                                        > believe in my Word (or in the name of my Word);" cf. John 1:12, those
                                        > who believed in his name).
                                        >
                                        > In general, allusions in John to the OT, where the Targums speak of the
                                        > divine Word as accomplishing what the Hebrew text says God does, carry
                                        > the overall message "the Word has become flesh." I.e., what God did in
                                        > the OT (through the agency of his Word according to the Targums), he now
                                        > does as a man sent by the Father. That is, recognizing the Targum
                                        > background to John enables us to see "the Word became flesh" as
                                        > programmatic of the Gospel as a whole. In my article I show how this
                                        > pertains to the theme of God as warrior; in my book I do the same for
                                        > other divine roles, e.g. Jesus as Bridegroom, Jesus as Lawgiver (with

                                      • John Ronning
                                        Message 19 of 28 , May 25, 2009
                                          Pete,

                                          Sorry I'm just getting around to this.  My view of the date of John is late 1st centruy.  There is a lot in John that depends on the events of 70AD, covered in my article under discussion of "Caiaphas [i.e. unwitting] prophecies," which I believe John saw in the Targums (this identification depends on the connection of targumic Word with the Logos title.

                                          Briefly to your other q's:
                                          The extant Targums all appear to come from 2nd century and later, but the argument for 1st century precursors upon which John (as well as other NT passages) depend for illumination is I think very strong - thus the historical evidence is from the NT itself.  I would recommend all of Martin McNamara's writings on this subject, especially his Analecta Biblica volume on the NT and the Palestinian Targums to the Pentateuch.  In the next couple of years Eerdmans should be coming out with a reworked edition of McNamara's Targum and Testament.

                                          From this it can be inferred that John's target audience (I don't believe in the "Johannine community concept, except that the community is the church at large) included Aramaic speaking Jewish Christians, though it is also evident that he is writing to Gentiles who don't even know the equivalence of "Christ" and "Messiah."   I assume John meant for the former to use his material to instruct the latter (yes, including teaching them enough of the Targums to understand the thrust of John's burden).

                                          Re. similar backgrounds - I agree there is something to this, e.g. there does seem to be a lot in coming philosophically between targumic Word and Philo's Logos (contra the opinion of many). Ironically this similarity has led people to the wrong conclusions (e.g. Philo or Wisdom instead of the Targums).

                                          Regards,

                                          John Ronning

                                          --- On Sat, 4/18/09, DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                                          <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                                          From: DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com>
                                          <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> >
                                          To: johannine_literatur e@yahoogroups. com
                                          <mailto:johannine_ literature% 40yahoogroups. com>
                                          Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

                                          Hi John,