Targum backgrounds for John

  • jronning
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
      Greetings all,

      Probably most are aware that 100 years ago it was commonly considered
      possible or likely that the Logos title came from the Aramaic (Targum)
      expression "the Word of the Lord" which was often used to render the
      Tetragrammaton, and that this idea has been widely discredited during
      the 20th century, though a few souls (notably Martin McNamara) have
      continued to champion it. This is an issue I've been looking at for the
      last five years or so, I got into it almost accidentally (my fieldis
      really more OT than NT, tho my major interest is NT interpretation of
      OT).

      Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
      of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
      of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
      Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
      pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
      my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
      Targums of the Pentateuch.

      Much of John's Gospel is illuminated by such an understanding, and other
      features of the Targums besides the Word concept also contribute to
      illuminating John. Some random examples:

      1. Tg. Neofiti Deut 32:39, "See now that I, I in my Word am he."
      Suggests a link between the Prologue (where John calls Jesus the Word)
      and the body of the Gospel, where Jesus (the Word) repeatedly says "I am
      he" (ego eimi); some of these ego eimi sayings in turn can be linked
      back to Deut 32:39 (or one of its Targum renderings); e.g. "I am the
      resurrection and the life" can be related to Neofiti's rendering of Deut
      32:39, "I kill and I make alive" which is "I put to death the living in
      this world and raise the dead to life in the world to come." Also, "No
      one can snatch them out of my hand" (John 10:28) agrees with a literal
      translation of the Hebrew (but not the Aramaic) of Deut 32:39, "No one
      delivers from my hand."

      2. The Palestinian Targums of Gen 28:10 say that five miracles were done
      for our father Jacob when he left home to go to Haran. The fifth of
      these was that when he lifted the stone from the mouth of the well, the
      water surged up and overflowed for 20 years (the time he was in Haran).
      This legend can be seen as being alluded to in answer to the Samaritan
      woman's question, "You are not greater than our father Jacob, are you,"
      to which Jesus replies that the water he gives "will become in him a
      well of water surging up to eternal life." Yes, I suppose we should
      conclude this legend was embraced by the Samaritans also.

      3. John 12:41; Isaiah saw Christ's glory, context indicating a reference
      to Isaiah 6 (I saw the Lord, sitting on his throne, high and lifted up).
      In Tg. Isa 6:1 he sees the glory of the Lord's Shekinah and hears the
      Word of the Lord speaking to him. Dalman pointed this out 100 years
      ago. Not so well known is that Tg. Pseudo-Jonathan Deut 4:7 borrows
      from Isa 6:1 saying that the Word of the Lord sits on his throne, high
      and lifted up. My article also shows how the four "lifted up" sayings in
      John correspond to the four "high and lifted up" passages in Isaiah
      (that speak of God and his servant being high and lifted up).

      4. John 12:37, though he had done so many signs among them, they were
      not believing in him. Some have seen this as a paraphrase of Num 14:11;
      how long will they not believe in me, in spite of all the signs I have
      done among them? In the various Targums, it is "how long will they not
      believe in my Word (or in the name of my Word);" cf. John 1:12, those
      who believed in his name).

      In general, allusions in John to the OT, where the Targums speak of the
      divine Word as accomplishing what the Hebrew text says God does, carry
      the overall message "the Word has become flesh." I.e., what God did in
      the OT (through the agency of his Word according to the Targums), he now
      does as a man sent by the Father. That is, recognizing the Targum
      background to John enables us to see "the Word became flesh" as
      programmatic of the Gospel as a whole. In my article I show how this
      pertains to the theme of God as warrior; in my book I do the same for
      other divine roles, e.g. Jesus as Bridegroom, Jesus as Lawgiver (with
      the upper room as a new Sinai).

      Some food for thought, I trust.

      John Ronning
      jronning@...

    • celucien joseph
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
        Hello John,
        �
        Thanks for illuminating us concerning this important matter. Can you email me the paper? I'll appreciate it.
        �
        Sincerely,
        �
        Celucien Joseph
        PhD candidate (NT) Bangor University
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
          I'd be interested in a copy of your article.

          Jeffery Hodges

          University Degrees:

          Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
          M.A., History of Science, U.C. Berkeley

          Email Address:

          jefferyhodges@...

          Blog:

          http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

          Office Address:

          School of English, Kyung Hee University
          1 Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu
          Seoul, 130-701
          South Korea

          Home Address:

          Gunyoung Apt. 102-204
          Sangbong-dong 1
          Jungnang-gu
          Seoul 131-771
          South Korea

          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
            Dear John, I would appreciate a copy of your article, it sounds very interesting.

            Rev. Tony Costa, PhD (cand)
            University of Pretoria
          • Tom Butler
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
              Dear John,
                  I would very much like to read your article.  If you are still offering it, please send your pdf file to my e-mail address: pastor_t@... .   FYI I am the author of a book published in 1998 that draws a lot of connections between the Old Testament, especially the Torah, and the Fourth Gospel.  It is called Let Her Keep It (a title drawn from John 12: 7).  In return for the opportunity to read  your article, let me know if you would like to receive a copy of my book.
              Yours in Christ's service,
              Dr. Tom Butler

[...]

              jronning@yahoo. com

            • McGrath, James
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                Let me also add my name to the list of those interested in reading your article, John!

                James

                Dr. James F. McGrath Tel. (317) 940-9364

                Associate Professor of Religion e-mail: jfmcgrat@...<mailto:jfmcgrat@...>

                Butler University, 4600 Sunset Avenue http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/

                Indianapolis, IN 46208 http://exploringourmatrix.blogspot.com<http://exploringourmatrix.blogspot.com/>

              • johannine_lit
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                  Hi there, I'd also like to receive a copy of the article please.

                  Jonathan Brown
                  Union Theological College
                  Belfast
                • Jack Kilmon
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                    Excellent, Jeffery. Please send me a copy.

                    Jack Kilmon

                    > I'd be interested in a copy of your article.
                    >
                    > Jeffery Hodges
                    >
                    > University Degrees:
                    >
                    > Ph.D., History, U.C. Berkeley
                    > (Doctoral Thesis: "Food as Synecdoche in John's Gospel and Gnostic Texts")
                    >
                    > Email Address:
                    >
                    > jefferyhodges@...
                    >
                    > Blog:
                    >
                    > http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/
                    >
                    > Office Address:

                    > School of English, Kyung Hee University
                    > 1 Hoegi-dong, Dongdaemun-gu
                    > Seoul, 130-701
                    > South Korea
                    >
                    > Home Address:

                    > Gunyoung Apt. 102-204
                    > Sangbong-dong 1
                    > Jungnang-gu
                    > Seoul 131-771
                    > South Korea

                  • Matson, Mark (Academic)
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                      I would like a copy.

                      Mark A. Matson
                      Academic Dean
                      Milligan College

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                        Greetings Tom,
                        A book for an article -- such a deal!  I assume it would help if I gave you a US address? (I'm in South Africa but could have it brought by someone coming here frm PA). Many thanks (the article is coming separately).
                        Regards in the Lord,
                        John Ronning

                            I would very much like to read your article.  If you are still offering it, please send your pdf file to my e-mail address: pastor_t@pacbell. net .   FYI I am the author of a book published in 1998 that draws a lot of connections between the Old Testament, especially the Torah, and the Fourth Gospel.  It is called Let Her Keep It (a title drawn from John 12: 7).  In return for the opportunity to read  your article, let me know if you would like to receive a copy of my book.
                        Yours in Christ's service,
                        Dr. Tom Butler

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                          Below is an example of something that is expressly forbidden by out
                          protocols . but which has happened at least 4 times today -- the
                          quotation not just of the entirety of a message one is responding to,
                          but of a string of messages.

                          PLEASE quote only as much of a post you are responding to as is
                          necessary to give your message its proper context.

                          Those who do not snip their posts according to protocols will be placed
                          on moderated status and their messages that contain excessive quotes
                          will be rejected.

                          Jeffrey Gibson

                          *********

                          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
                          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
                          Chicago, Illinois
                          e-mail jgibson000@...
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                            Jack, you probably mean to address John Ronning.

                            Jeffery Hodges

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                              Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:

                              "PLEASE quote only as much of a post you are responding to as is
                              necessary to give your message its proper context."

                              My apologies, Jeffrey. I just realized that I'm twice one of the guilty parties.

                            • Jack Kilmon
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                                Yepper, sure did, Jeffery. Thanks.

                                John?

                                Jack Kilmon
                                jkilmon@...

                                > Jack, you probably mean to address John Ronning.
                                >
                                > Jeffery Hodges

                              • Jack Kilmon
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 10, 2008
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 11, 2008
                                    John,
                                       Yes, it would be helpful if you could provide me with a U.S. address, though I have sent copies all over the world (when the customer paid for them).  A U.S. address would cut my mailing cost.  Thank you for the offer.
                                       Your brief description of your article and forthcoming book suggests that you and I may be on similar tracks.  I do not have any expertise in the study of the Targum, but I suspect that the Fourth Gospel may be a skillfully written Midrash of the Gospel story, an effort to write the Christian Gospel using the language of the Septuagint, perhaps even an effort to re-write (update?) the Torah in the light of Christ.
                                       Specifically, I have suggested that the writer(s) of the Fourth Gospel use "signs" (words and symbols taken from the Septuagint - especially from the Torah) to show to initiated readers how Jesus systematically replaced every element of the Mosaic system of worship: the temple, the festivals of sacrifice and the priesthood.  My book focuses on John 11, 12 and 13, what I call "the ordination trilogy," showing how Jesus replaced the priesthood with His own disciples, including Mary of Bethany, my candidate for the role of "Beloved Disciple," who is given a status equivalent to that of Peter (bishop) and entrusted with the task of maintaining the tradition of His death.
                                        Clearly I'm on unorthodox ground.  I'm always hoping that someone has traveled in similar territory and can enter into a scholarly dialogue with me regarding what I think I've found.  The contributors to this list include some who have been willing to venture for a short way in that direction with me.  I'm hoping you will be one too.
                                    In Christ's service,
                                    Tom Butler

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 18 6:52 AM
                                      Dear John,
                                      I would also be deeply interested in reading your article, if you could email it to me. I think this line of study will turn out to be very significant.
                                      Thanks
                                      Dean
                                      BA Classics (summa cum laude) May 2009, CU Boulder.
                                      Honors Thesis: "John Mark and the Johannine Corpus"

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 18 11:34 AM
                                        I'd also be interested in a copy.

                                        Jeffery Hodges

                                        Ewha Womans University
                                        Seoul, South Korea

                                        Blog: http://gypsyscholarship.blogspot.com/

                                        Doctoral Thesis: Food as Synecdoche in the Gospel of John and Gnostic Texts

                                      • DanielMcGrady22@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 18 1:20 PM
                                          Hi John,

                                          I like the work you are doing here and would also appreciate a pdf copy of
                                          your paper.

                                          Many thanks,

                                          Danny McGrady

                                          In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@...
                                          writes:

                                          Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
                                          > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
                                          > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
                                          > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
                                          > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
                                          > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
                                          > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                                        • Tony Costa
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 18 8:44 PM
                                            Dear John, sounds fascinating. I would appreciate a pdf copy of your paper
                                            as well.

                                            Best regards,

                                            Tony Costa

                                            _____

                                            I like the work you are doing here and would also appreciate a pdf copy of
                                            your paper.

                                            Many thanks,

                                            Danny McGrady

                                            In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@yahoo.
                                            <mailto:dean198%40yahoo.com> com
                                            writes:

                                            Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
                                            > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
                                            > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
                                            > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
                                            > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
                                            > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
                                            > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                                          • Tom Butler
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 19 6:55 AM
                                              Dean,

                                              I would like to receive a PDF file containing a copy of your article, and I am looking forward to reading your book.

                                              Tom Butler

> [...]

                                              > done among them?  In the various Targums, it is "how long will they not
                                              > believe in my Word (or in the name of my Word);" cf. John 1:12, those
                                              > who believed in his name).
                                              >
                                              > In general, allusions in John to the OT, where the Targums speak of the
                                              > divine Word as accomplishing what the Hebrew text says God does, carry
                                              > the overall message "the Word has become flesh."   I.e., what God did in
                                              > the OT (through the agency of his Word according to the Targums), he now
                                              > does as a man sent by the Father. That is, recognizing the Targum
                                              > background to John enables us to see "the Word became flesh" as
                                              > programmatic of the Gospel as a whole.  In my article I show how this
                                              > pertains to the theme of God as warrior; in my book I do the same for
                                              > other divine roles, e.g. Jesus as Bridegroom, Jesus as Lawgiver (with

                                            • Don Garlington
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 19 11:20 AM
                                                Yes, please do send me the file. Thanks.

                                                Don G.

                                                In a message dated 18/04/2009 19:24:53 GMT Standard Time, dean198@yahoo. com

                                                writes:

                                                Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

                                                > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum

                                                > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

                                                > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

                                                > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing

                                                > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

                                                > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                                              • Matson, Mark (Academic)
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 19 6:21 PM
                                                  John:

                                                  I also would like a copy of your article.

                                                  Mark A. Matson
                                                  Academic Dean
                                                  Milligan College

                                                  ________________________________

                                                  writes:

                                                  Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt
                                                  > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The Targum
                                                  > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the
                                                  > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a
                                                  > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is publishing
                                                  > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian
                                                  > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                                                • PHILLIPS P.M.
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 20 1:10 AM
                                                    Dear Dan

                                                    Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
                                                    from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
                                                    Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
                                                    documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
                                                    the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
                                                    this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
                                                    to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
                                                    temple Judaism.

                                                    Pete

                                                    Pete Phillips
                                                    Director of Research
                                                    Centre for Biblical Literacy
                                                    St John's College, Durham, UK

                                                    ________________________________

                                                    <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> <DanielMcGrady22@...
                                                    From: DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com>
                                                    <DanielMcGrady22@... <mailto:DanielMcGrady22%40aol.com> >
                                                    To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
                                                    <mailto:johannine_literature%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                    Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

                                                    Hi John,

                                                    writes:

                                                    Anyway, my studies have convinced me there is in fact no room for doubt

                                                    > of the Targum origin of the Logos title. I wrote an article "The
                                                    Targum

                                                    > of Isaiah and the Johannine Literature" published last Fall in the

                                                    > Westminster Theological Journal (pp. 247-278), of which I could send a

                                                    > pdf file to any who are interested. Next year Hendrickson is
                                                    publishing

                                                    > my book which looks at all the Targums, especially the Palestinian

                                                    > Targums of the Pentateuch.

                                                  • Jack Kilmon
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 20 6:43 AM
                                                      > Love to see the pdf but I don't agree at all that the Logos title comes
                                                      > from the Targumim. See my own contribution in "Prologue of the Fourth
                                                      > Gospel". In any case, what date would you give to the respective
                                                      > documents? Are you suggesting that John's community were well aware of
                                                      > the relevant Targumic material? What historical evidence do you have of
                                                      > this? Surely it is much more likely that there is a similar background
                                                      > to both the Targumim and Johannine Literature - e.g. OT and second
                                                      > temple Judaism.
                                                      >
                                                      > Pete
                                                      >
                                                      > Pete Phillips
                                                      > Director of Research
                                                      > Centre for Biblical Literacy
                                                      > St John's College, Durham, UK

                                                      Since the Targums preserve an Aramaic idiom very similar to Old Judean, I
                                                      would not be surprised to see correspondences between the Targums and the
                                                      Aramaic sub-structure of 4G. I do not detect Aramaic interference in the
                                                      Greek of the Prologue, however, and have always consider the prologue to be
                                                      an antiphonal hymn appended to the text in one of its many redactional
                                                      phases. I am looking forward to reading the pdf and would also like to read
                                                      your paper on the prologue.

                                                      Jack

                                                      Jack Kilmon
                                                      San Antonio, TX
                                                    • deanf4545
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 20 3:50 PM
                                                      • John Ronning
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , May 25, 2009
                                                          Greetings Dean,

                                                          Sorry I'm just getting around to this now, I haven't been checking my yahoo e-mail regularly.  The article is attached. Hendrickson is also publishing my book on the same subject (about a year overdue so far).

                                                          Regards,

                                                          John Ronning

                                                          ________________________________
> [...]

                                                          > how long will they not believe in me, in spite of all the signs I have
                                                          > done among them? In the various Targums, it is "how long will they not
                                                          > believe in my Word (or in the name of my Word);" cf. John 1:12, those
                                                          > who believed in his name).
                                                          >
                                                          > In general, allusions in John to the OT, where the Targums speak of the
                                                          > divine Word as accomplishing what the Hebrew text says God does, carry
                                                          > the overall message "the Word has become flesh." I.e., what God did in
                                                          > the OT (through the agency of his Word according to the Targums), he now
                                                          > does as a man sent by the Father. That is, recognizing the Targum
                                                          > background to John enables us to see "the Word became flesh" as
                                                          > programmatic of the Gospel as a whole. In my article I show how this
                                                          > pertains to the theme of God as warrior; in my book I do the same for
                                                          > other divine roles, e.g. Jesus as Bridegroom, Jesus as Lawgiver (with

                                                        • John Ronning
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , May 25, 2009
                                                            Pete,

                                                            Sorry I'm just getting around to this.  My view of the date of John is late 1st centruy.  There is a lot in John that depends on the events of 70AD, covered in my article under discussion of "Caiaphas [i.e. unwitting] prophecies," which I believe John saw in the Targums (this identification depends on the connection of targumic Word with the Logos title.

                                                            Briefly to your other q's:
                                                            The extant Targums all appear to come from 2nd century and later, but the argument for 1st century precursors upon which John (as well as other NT passages) depend for illumination is I think very strong - thus the historical evidence is from the NT itself.  I would recommend all of Martin McNamara's writings on this subject, especially his Analecta Biblica volume on the NT and the Palestinian Targums to the Pentateuch.  In the next couple of years Eerdmans should be coming out with a reworked edition of McNamara's Targum and Testament.

                                                            From this it can be inferred that John's target audience (I don't believe in the "Johannine community concept, except that the community is the church at large) included Aramaic speaking Jewish Christians, though it is also evident that he is writing to Gentiles who don't even know the equivalence of "Christ" and "Messiah."   I assume John meant for the former to use his material to instruct the latter (yes, including teaching them enough of the Targums to understand the thrust of John's burden).

                                                            Re. similar backgrounds - I agree there is something to this, e.g. there does seem to be a lot in coming philosophically between targumic Word and Philo's Logos (contra the opinion of many). Ironically this similarity has led people to the wrong conclusions (e.g. Philo or Wisdom instead of the Targums).

                                                            Regards,

                                                            John Ronning

                                                            --- On Sat, 4/18/09, DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                                                            <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com
                                                            From: DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com>
                                                            <DanielMcGrady22@ aol.com <mailto:DanielMcGra dy22%40aol. com> >
                                                            To: johannine_literatur e@yahoogroups. com
                                                            <mailto:johannine_ literature% 40yahoogroups. com>
                                                            Date: Saturday, April 18, 2009, 1:20 PM

                                                            Hi John,