[John_Lit] Revelation 3:20

  • McGrath, James
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 8, 2008
      Hi Beth! In Kenneth Bailey's recent book, he mentions that calling was normally what friends did when they came to one's door. The cultural background to the knocking should be interesting to explore!

      James

      Dr. James F. McGrath Tel. (317) 940-9364

      Associate Professor of Religion e-mail: jfmcgrat@...<mailto:jfmcgrat@...>

      Butler University, 4600 Sunset Avenue http://blue.butler.edu/~jfmcgrat/

      Indianapolis, IN 46208 http://exploringourmatrix.blogspot.com<http://exploringourmatrix.blogspot.com/>

    • mottrogere3
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 8, 2008
        Hi Elizabeth,

        I see the Greek word KROUW which has been translated "knock" as sort
        of a gentle tap versus a hard knuckle busting knock that some have
        interpreted. There are 9 uses in the NT and all but the tapping by
        Peter in Acts has been an instruction by Jesus to let those
        who "KROUW" into the house.

        Even the Acts account could be the return of Peter to the "Christian"
        home where the Christians in hiding were gathered.

        The two uses of KROUW in the Septuagint also show the importance of
        KROUW. In Judges 19:22, a man who had let a "gentle knocking" person
        enter his home would not release him to unlawful persons on the
        outside, but rather released his concubine to be defiled rather than
        unguard the "gentle tapper". I see this as a metaphor where
        unlawfulness that knocks can not enter the house. But a substitute
        was sent out to be pleasured/abused.

        Jesus has warned his disciples in the NT that not everyone who "says
        Lord, Lord" will be let in.

        Song of Solomon 5:2 is very sensuous about a "gentle tapping" beloved
        man in a dream who calls his "wife" a dove, perfect one, and stays
        the night.

        IMO, Revelation 3:20 uses the Song of Solomon theme perhaps like the
        several uses of KROUW in the NT. The many uses of "beloved" in SGS
        also brings to mind Johannine literature.

        Roger Mott
        Waterloo, Iowa

        --- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, Elizabeth Danna
        <ejdanna@...> wrote:

        > Since the Revelation is part of the Johannine corpus (whatever
        one's views on authorship might be), I hope no one will object to my
        asking a question about it on this group.

        > "See, I am standing at the door and knocking. If anyone hears my
        voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with them, and they
        with me. [21] To the one who overcomes, I will give the right to sit
        with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father
        on his throne."

        > The usual interpretation of v. 20 is that the knocking is a gentle
        request for intimacy. Or is it the imperious knocking of the King,
        demanding (re)entry into territory that rightfully belongs to him?
        The reward promised to those who overcome (ie. turn away from the
        self-sufficient complacency into which the Laodicean Christianns had
        fallen and back to dependency on God) is certainly a royal one (a
        share of a throne).

        > As I write this a niggle in my mind tells me that I have heard this
        second interpretation somewhere before, but I'm not sure where. Is
        it familiar to anyone? I'm not sure the two interpretations are
        mutually exclusive - is the reader to see both intimacy and royalty
        here? Comments anyone?

        > Elizabeth Danna

      • Elizabeth Danna
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 10, 2008
          On Tue 8/07/08 9:48 PM , "mottrogere3" mottrogere3@... sent:
          > Hi Elizabeth,
          > I see the Greek word KROUW which has been translated "knock" as sort of a gentle tap versus a hard knuckle busting knock >that some have interpreted.

          Thanks Roger for your help here - I haven't been able to get to where I could look it up.

          James McGrath also said:
          >In Kenneth Bailey's recent book, he mentions that calling was normally what friends did when they came to one's door. The >cultural background to the knocking should be interesting to explore!

          Thanks James for calling my attention to this - I'll keep it in mind. What's the title of Bailey's book?

          Thanks to all who replied.
          Elizabeth Danna
        • McGrath, James