Re: [John_Lit] Re: Did the Jews Crucify Jesus in John 19:18?

  • John Lupia
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
      Hi Roger:

      Welcome! Just a quick note about a much often misconstrued rhetorical figure or expression in John "the Jews" = the majority of the Jewish religious leaders, not every Jew, but some, and, only possibly as well, many. So when you read the Jews" it never means all, but only some, or perhaps, many.

      John N. Lupia III
      New Jersey, USA; Beirut, Lebanon
      God Bless Everyone

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 25, 2008
        Roger,

        Thanks for the interesting comment. I just read the section in Hippolytus
        about the rule of 9. Although Hippolytus is presenting the Greek gematria in
        a negative light (as he is attempting to refute it as a heresy), this alone
        does not mean that the author of the Fourth Gospel had a similar negative
        view of gematria. I am curious, however, about what we might know about how
        Greek gematria was viewed by various groups in the first century. Do you
        know of any first century views that I can look into?

        Thanks,

        Terry

        --
        Some people see things that are and ask, Why?
        Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not?

        We have become all things to all people that we might confuse everybody!
        --Timothy George

      • Tom Butler
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 26, 2008
          Hello Keith, John and other John_Lit Listers,
              Keith, in response to your theory about the meaning of "the Jews" in th Fourth Gospel, I would like to add another observation to John Lupia's point, which agrees with you, that this term does not imply that every Hebrew or even every Hebrew leader was involved in a plot to kill Jesus.
              I believe that the writer(s) of the Fourth Gospel were intentionally using signs (Greek words borrowed directly from the Septuagint) to communicate the truth of the Gospel using the sacred language of the Hebrews. (This was a practice commonly used in Rabbinical schools of that period.  It is a didactic method called "Midrash."  "The Jews" (Ioudaioi) is a term borrowed, in my opinion, from Nehemiah 2: 16.  "The officials did not know where I had gone or what I was doing; I had not yet told the Jews, the priests, the nobles, the officials, and the rest that were to do the work."
             Your theory that "the 'sum of the digits reducing to 9' as a sign of a group separated from God" is consistent with my theory that this term is, indeed, a sign, the meaning of which must be discerned by the reader through careful study and reflection.  It points to a privileged, but uninformed group of leaders who are incapable of seeing or acting in a way that establishes or re-establishes a relationship with God.  It is not as is so often assumed, a condemnation of the people or belief system of an entire nation or race of people.
          Tom Butler

          > 1. Working back from 19:16 to the beginning of the trial before
          Pilate
          > in 18:28, the plural pronoun AUTOI appears 9 times:
          >
          > * 18:28 ...and they (AUTOI) did not enter the praetorium that
          they
          > not be defiled from eating the Passover
          > * 18:29 then Pilate went out to them (PROS AUTOUS) and said What
          > charge do you bring...
          > * 18:31 then Pilate said to them (AUTOIS), You take him and
          judge
          > him...
          > * 18:38 ...and he says to them (AUTOIS) I find no fault in him
          > * 19:04 ... and he says to them (AUTOIS), look I bring him out
          to you
          > so you know that I find no fault in him
          > * 19:05 ...and he says to them (AUTOIS), look, the man.
          > * 19:06 ...Pilate says to them (AUTOIS), you take and crucify
          him...
          > * 19:15 ...Pilate says to them (AUTOIS), shall I crucify your
          king...
          > * 19:16 ...then he delivered him to them (AUTOIS) that he be
          > crucified; so they took Jesus

          Hi Keith,
          I am a new subscriber to this list and reviewed the archives for
          possible discussion topics. I was intrigued by your observation that
          the Greek word "AUTOIS" is used 9 times at the beginning of the trial
          of Jesus in to the delivery for crucifixion in the Gospel of John.

          I do not think that the word AUTOIS was deliberately used 9 times to
          convey a message. The Gospel of John and Revelation has used
          the "sum of the digits reducing to 9" as a sign of a group separated
          from God. 153, 666 are all examples that are used to indicate
          someone or a group that needs to brought back to God IMO. Luke used
          99 in a good sense whist he uses the 9 lepers and 18 in a "need to be
          saved" sense. The Gospel of Thomas uses 99 to represent a group
          separated from God.

          I was not so much interested in Greek Gematria till I read Hippolytus
          description of the system in place in his time. It was called
          the "rule of 9". Greek proper names were reduced to a number between
          one and nine.

          IMO, saying that the leadership of the Jews wanted Jesus crucified
          was not true for all of the high ranking Jews. Joseph of Arimathaea
          and Nicodemus are Jews who clearly supported Jesus. Jesus himself
          was critical of some Pharisees, Sadducees, and scribes. But, the High
          Priest Caiaphas, even after the crucifixion, still opposed Jesus
          teachings as he sent Saul, a Pharisee, out to arrest and persecute
          the early Christians. Gamaliel was a high ranking Jew who apparently
          did not seem to want to persecute the early Christians.

          Roger Mott
          Waterloo, Iowa

        • mottrogere3
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 27, 2008
            Hi Terry,

            I agree with Hippolytus that stating judgments and prophecy based on
            the "sum of the digits" of one's Greek name is absurd. Seems it was
            ancient mathematicians childplay like rock/paper/scissors. And they
            kept changing the rules to change the outcome. They also had a rule
            of 7, counting only one of the recurring Greek letters in a name,
            etc. etc.

            However, I am convinced that the NT and OT use "numeric's" to convey
            certain meaning as I stated a few examples from the NT in my previous
            post.

            The resident expert who spurred my interest in gematria is Michael
            Grondin. He has also carried it into the Coptic alphabet. He
            recently posted on the Gthomas list that he has created an Excel
            spreadsheet which automatically calculates the gematria value for
            certain words. No, I have not read any books on 1st century gematria
            practices but perhaps when Mike gets back, he will post some