Re: [John_Lit] John 6:4 The Jewish Passover Feast was near.

  • Moloneyfj@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 12, 2000
      Hi everyone

      I am surprised Paul A has not come in on this ... John 6! I will do it for
      him.

      Some of you may have seen my initial thoughts on the Fourth Gospel and the
      historicity question in the latest NTS. That was part of a larger discussion
      - the rest of which were some random thoughts.

      One of those "random thoughts" is to do with 6:4. As well all know, there
      are three Passovers in the Fourth Gospel - beginning (2:13), middle (6:4) and
      end (11:55-19:42). My main interest is the theological and narrative
      function of the feasts, but - as just been mentioned - Jesus should be in
      Jerusalem for the feast, not by the lake. All other feasts are in Jerusalem.
      Only John 6 is not ... and thus the notorious problem of the order of John,
      swapping Chs 5 and 6, etc.

      Maybe Jesus' public ministry was marked by three Passovers ... two of them in
      Jerusalem, and one of them NOTORIOUSLY in Galilee. So notorious that NOT
      EVEN John could shift the tradition of a Passover in Galilee back to
      Jerusalem. Maybe that's why it sticks out like a sore thumb? Maybe we might
      use John for a "Rahmen der Geschichte Jesu"! Maybe outlandish! Loads of
      "maybes" ...

      Frank Moloney

      Catholic University of America
      Washington, DC 20064