Help with understanding Paraclete in John and his readers

  • Marty
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
      The Paraclete, the Spirit of Prophecy,

      I'm writing a senior thesis about the Gospel of John. I've narrowed my
      study down to writing about the Paraclete and it's earliest
      investigations. John's Gospel seems to have been enjoyed
      by a lot of "weird folks" early on. But I'm a bit confused about the
      Holy Spirit. It seems scholarship is not quite clear on what it is. Of
      course the Church is pretty clear.But how did this understanding
      develop? Can anyone provide good works on the development of the Holy
      Spirit concept or on how He is seen in John and John's earliest
      interpreters?

      Ok thanks

      Martin C. Arno
    • Bridget Gilfillan Upton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
        If you can get hold of a copy you might look at

        Author Isaacs, Marie E.
        Title The concept of spirit : a study of pneuma in
        Hellenistic Judaism and its bearing on the New Testament / by Marie E.
        Isaacs.
        Imprint London : Heythrop College, 1976

        for some good sound stuff on background.

        Good luck!

        Bridget Gilfillan Upton
        Dr Bridget Gilfillan Upton
        Lecturer in New Testament
        Heythrop College
        University of London
        Kensington Square
        London W8 5HQ UK

        Tel. (+44) 020 7795 4214 (direct)
        Fax. (+44) 020 7795 4200 (college)
        Email. b.gilfillan-upton@...

        > I'm writing a senior thesis about the Gospel of John. I've narrowed my
        > study down to writing about the Paraclete and it's earliest
        > investigations. John's Gospel seems to have been enjoyed
        > by a lot of "weird folks" early on. But I'm a bit confused about the
        > Holy Spirit. It seems scholarship is not quite clear on what it is. Of
        > course the Church is pretty clear.But how did this understanding
        > develop? Can anyone provide good works on the development of the Holy
        > Spirit concept or on how He is seen in John and John's earliest
        > interpreters?
        >
        > Ok thanks
        >
        > Martin C. Arno

        > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jeffrey B. Gibson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 20, 2008
          Marty wrote:
          > The Paraclete, the Spirit of Prophecy,
          >
          > I'm writing a senior thesis about the Gospel of John. I've narrowed my
          > study down to writing about the Paraclete and it's earliest
          > investigations. John's Gospel seems to have been enjoyed
          > by a lot of "weird folks" early on. But I'm a bit confused about the
          > Holy Spirit. It seems scholarship is not quite clear on what it is. Of
          > course the Church is pretty clear.But how did this understanding
          > develop? Can anyone provide good works on the development of the Holy
          > Spirit concept or on how He is seen in John and John's earliest
          > interpreters?
          **Here is the bibliography to the Anchor Bible Dictionary's entry on
          Paraclete.

          Bammel, E. 1973. Jesus und der Paraklet in Johannes 16. Pp. <#_ftn1>
          198–27 in /Christ and Spirit in the New Testament, /ed. <#_ftn2> B.
          Lindars and S. Smalley. Cambridge.
          Betz, O. 1963. /Der Paraklet. /Leiden.
          Bornkamm, G. 1949. Der Paraklet im Johannes-Evangelium. Pp. 12–35 in
          /Festschrift für Rudolf Bultmann. /Stuttgart.
          Brown, R. E. 1966–67. The Paraclete in the Fourth Gospel. /NTS
          <#_ftn3>//: /113–32.
          Bultmann, R. 1971. /The Gospel of John. /Trans. G. R.
          Beasley-Murray. Oxford.
          Burge, G. M. 1987. /The Anointed Community. /Grand Rapids.
          Culpepper, R. A. 1975. /The Johannine School. /SBLDS <#_ftn4> 26.
          Missoula, MT.
          Franck, E. 1985. /Revelation Taught: The Paraclete in the Gospel of
          John. /ConBNT <#_ftn5> 14. Lund.
          Grayston, K. 1981. The Meaning of PARAKLETOS. /JSNT <#_ftn6>/ 13: 67–82.
          Johansson, n. <#_ftn7> 1940. /Parakletoi: Vorstellungen von
          Fürsprechern für die Menschen vor Gott in der alttestamentlichen
          Religion, im Spätjudentum, und Urchristentum. /Lund.
          Johnston, G. 1970. /The Spirit-Paraclete in the Gospel of John.
          /Cambridge.
          Lindars, B. 1981. The Persecution of Christians in John 15:18–16:4a.
          Pp. 48–69 in /Suffering and Martyrdom in the NT. /ed. W. Horbury and
          B. McNeil. Cambridge.
          Mowinckel, S. 1934. Die Vorstellung des Spätjudentums vom heiligen
          Geist als Fürsprecher und der johanneische Paraklet. /ZNW <#_ftn8>/
          52: 97–130.
          Müller, U. B. 1974. Die Parakletenvorstellung im Johannesevangelium.
          /ZTK <#_ftn9>/ 71: 31–78.
          Porsch, F. 1974. /Pneuma und Wort: Ein exegetischer Beitrag zur
          Pneumatologie des Johannesevangeliums. /Frankfurter Theologische
          Studien 16. Frankfurt.
          la Potterie, I. de. 1965. Le Paraclet. Pp. 85–105 in Le Vie selon
          l’Esprit, Condition du Chrétien. ed. I. de La Potterie and S.
          Lyonnet. Unam Sanctam 55. Paris.
          Sasse, H. 1925. Der Paraklet im Johannesevangelium. /ZNW/ 24: 260–77.
          Spitta, F. 1910. /Das Johannes-Evangelium als Quella der Geschichte
          Jesu. /Göttingen.
          Wellhausen, J. 1907. /Erweiterungen und Änderungen im vierten
          Evangelium. /Berlin.
          Windisch, H. 1927. Die fünf johanneische Parakletsprüche. Pp. 110–37
          in /Festgabe für Adolf Jülicher. /Tübingen = /The Spirit-Paraclete
          in the Fourth Gospel. /Trans. J. W. Cox. Philadelphia, 1968.
          ———. 1933. Jesus und der Geist im Johannes-Evangelium. Pp. 303–18 in
          /Amicitiae Corolla, /ed. H. G. Wood. London.

          And here is the Bibliography that is given in the 1968 translation of
          the second Windish article noted above:

          BARRETT, C. K. The Holy Spirit and the Gospel Tradition. London:
          SPCK, 1947; reprinted, 1966. See pp. 3-4 for a summary on Windisch's
          view of Jesus as a Pneumatiker.

          . "The Holy Spirit in the Fourth Gospel," Journal of Theological
          Studies, N.S. 1 (1950), 1-15.

          BEHM, J. paraklitos TDNT Vol. 5 pp. 798-812.

          BETZ, OTTO. Der Paraklet. Ffirsprecher im h,~retischen Spatjudentum,
          im jol%%Les-Evangelium und in neu gefundenen gnostischen Schriften.
          ("ArMiten zur Geschichte des Spltjudentums und Urchristenturns," 2.)
          Leiden: Brill, 1963. A survey of recent work on the Paradete,
          including the views of Windisch, plus consideration of Qumran and
          recently found gnostic documents.

          BORNKAMM, GuNTHER. "Der Paraklet im johannesevangelium," in
          Festschrift Rudolf Bultmann zum 65, Geburtstag fiberreicht.
          Stuttgart: Kohlhammer, 1949. Pp. 12-35.

          BROWN, RAYMOND. "The Paraclete in the Fourth Gospel," New Testament
          Studies, 13 (1966-67), 113-32. The most recent thorough survey in
          English, Readers should also consult, when it appears, the
          discussion of the pertinent johannine passages in volume two of
          Brown's commentary treatment in the "Anchor Bible" on John. This
          article provides further bibliography in its notes, a survey of
          current opinions, and Brown's own position. See also The Gospel
          according to John, I-XII ("Anchor Bible," 29; New York: Doubleday,
          1966), pp. xxvi-xxviii.

          DAVIES, J. G. "The Primary Meaning of PARAKLETOS~," Journal of
          Theological Studies, N.S. 4 (1953), 35-38.

          FiROR, W. M. "Fulfillment of the Promise: The Holy Spirit and the
          Christian Life," Interpretation, 7 (1953), 299-314.

          HOWARD, W. F. Christianity according to St. John. Philadelphia:
          Westminster, 1946. On Windisch, see pp. 72-74.

          --The Fourth Gospel in Recent Criticism and Interpretation. Revised
          by C. K. Barrett. 4th ed. London: Epworth, 1955. PP. 7174, 135-36
          provide the best English summary on Windisch's work.

          JOHANSSON, NILS. Parakletoi: Vorstellungen von Ffirspecher ffir die
          Menschen vor Gott in der a1ttestamentlichen Religion, im
          Spatjudentum und Urchristentum. Lund: Glecrup, 1940.

          JOHNSTON, GEORGE. " 'Spirit' and 'Holy Spirit' in the Qumran
          Literature," in New Testament Sidelights: Ef.uys )n Honor of
          Alexander Converse Purdy. Edited by Harvey K. McArthur. Hartford:
          Hartford Seminary Foundation Press, 1960. Pp. 27-42.

          LOCHER, GOTTFRIED W. "Der Geist als Paraklet: Eine
          exegetischdogrnatische Besinnung," Evangelische Theologie, 26
          (1966), 565-79.

          LOFTHOUSE, W. F. "The Holy Spirit in the Acts and the Fourth
          Gospel," The Expository Times, 52 (1940-11), 334-36.

          MICHAELIS, W. "Zur Herkunft des johanneischen Paraklet-Titels,"
          Coniectanea Neotestamentica, 11 (19/17), 147-62. (Festschrift for
          Anton F'ridrichsen.)

          MOWINCKEL, SIGMUND. "Die Vorstellungen des Spdjudentums,vom heiligen
          Geist als Fdrsprecher und der johanneische Paraklet," ZNW7,
          32 (1933), 97-130.

          MUSSNER, F. "Die johanneische Parakletsprilche und die apostolische
          Tradition," Biblische Zeitschrift, 5 (1961), 56-70.

          SCHLIER, HEINRICH. "Zum Begriff des Geistes nach dern Johannes
          evangelium," in Neutestament1khe Allfs,~tze: Festschrift fijr prof.
          Josef Schmid zum 70. Geburl.ilag. Edited by J. Blinzler, 0. Kuss,
          and F. Mussner. Regensburg: I'Listet, 1963. Pp. 233-39. Reprinted in
          Schlier's Besinnungen auf das Nleue Teilamew., Exegetische Aufs,~tze
          und Vortrdge Il. Freiburg: Herder, 11)64. 1)1). 264-71.

          SCHWEIZER, EDUARD. Spirit of God, -lilkle Key Words from Gerhard
          Kittel's Theologisches W&terbllch zlim Nellol 7'eslament," 9.
          Translated by A. E. Harvey. London A. & BLA, 1960. Pp. 95-97 deal
          with John.

          SNAITH, NORMAN H. "The Meaning of 'The Paraclete,'" The Expository
          Times, 57 (1945-46), 47 50.

          If you are serious about doing reserach in Biblical studies and find
          relevant literature on topics yyou want to purse, you will need to find
          and learn how to use the ATLA data base and other bibliographical
          resources such as New Testament Abstracts.

          Jeffrey

          --
          Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
          1500 W. Pratt Blvd.