Re: NIV John 6:4 The Jewish Passover Feast was near.

  • Elizabeth Danna
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 11 11:59 AM
      --- In johannine_literature@egroups.com, "Jack C. Pilato"
      <pilatojc@w...> wrote:
      > My name is Jack Pilato, I am a chemist but have been a student of
      the
      > Bible for the last 20 plus years. I am not affiliated with any
      > institution but I am interested in eliminating socalled bible
      > discrepancies.
      Welcome Jack to our little discussion group.

      > I have two questions:
      > 1. Does anyone have an explanation for John 6:4? Why is it
      there?
      It may be a simple temporal indicator, telling when this incident
      happened. But it is likely that there is more to it than this.
      Passover was a feast at which unleavened bread was eaten in memory of
      God's act in liberating the Jews from slavery in Egypt. At another
      Passover, Jesus will lay down his life to free his people from
      slavery to sin. John in his Gospel does not have the words of
      institution of the Eucharist in his account of the Last Supper, but
      it
      is likely that his original readers would have been reminded, as they
      read of the feeding of the 5,000 and the Bread-of-Life discourse
      which
      is connected with it, of the Lord's Supper which they celebrated when
      they met for worship. At the feeding Jesus gives bread, which
      sustains life; in the Bread-of-Life discourse it turns out that he
      himself is the bread, the source and sustenance of our spiritual
      life.
      "I am the living bread which has come down from heaven. Whoever eats
      of this bread will live forever; and the bread which I will give for
      the life of the world is my flesh...unless you eat the flesh of the
      Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. those who
      eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise
      them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is
      true drink."(6:51,53-55) John in his mention of Passover at 6:4
      hints
      at all this. Time prohibits me from saying more at the moment, but
      any good commentary on the Gospel should have more. Meanwhile I hope
      that what I have said is helpful.

      Elizabeth Danna
    • lozada@universe.uiwtx.edu
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 14 1:57 AM
        Tony:

        A very good book that is worth reading is: Juan Angel Onate-Ojeda, El
        Paraclito Y Notas Exegeticas Sobre La Santisima Trinidad en San Juan
        (Series Valentina 44; Valencia, 1998).

        Good luck!
        Francisco

        I am a doctoral student at St. Patrick's college Maynooth, preparing
        a paper on the Paraclete in John's Gospel. I am interested in
        canvassing some views from the group on the diverse meanings
        attributed to the word such as Comforter, Healer, Encourager,
        Advocate, the one who stands beside etc.

        Tony Hanna
      • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 14 7:03 AM
          Dear Tony, The writings of Felix Porsch such as Pneuma und Wort (Frankfurt
          1974) are well worth reading on the Paraclete There is a review in the I
          TQ. Best wishes to Maynooth. Sean p. Kealy c.S.Sp.

          research interests to johannine_literature-subscribe@egroups.com