Brief inquiry towards the history of the Paraclete

  • Marty
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2008
      The Paraclete, the Spirit of Prophecy,

      I'm writing a senior thesis about the Gospel of John. Originally, I
      had hoped to make a historical investigation using historical-critical
      methods. I had especially desired to talk about Jesus' sayings in
      John, because I think they've been neglected by historical scholars.
      But I've narrowed my study down to writing about the Paraclete and
      it's earliest investigations. John's Gospel seems to have been enjoyed
      by a lot of "weird folks" early on. In my work, I'm trying to remove a
      lot of the Orthodox influence on our interpretation and instead focus
      on Gnostic and Montanist understandings.
      But I'm a bit confused about the Holy Spirit. It seems scholarship is
      not quite clear on what it is. Of course the Church is pretty clear.
      But how did this understanding develop?
      Can anyone provide good works on the development of the Holy Spirit
      concept or on how He is seen in John and John's earliest interpreters?

      Ok thanks
    • Jack Kilmon
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2008
        It is definitely something to think about in the mix. BTW, Marty, please
        sign your posts completely.

        Jack