NIV John 6:4 The Jewish Passover Feast was near.

  • Jack C. Pilato
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10, 2000
      My name is Jack Pilato, I am a chemist but have been a student of the
      Bible for the last 20 plus years. I am not affiliated with any
      institution but I am interested in eliminating socalled bible
      discrepancies.
      My current interest is harmonizing the gospels and as you know the
      gospel of John is much different than the synoptics. One area on which
      there is differing opinion is the length of Christ's ministry, which by
      many is taken to be 3 plus years. In Hoehner's book "Chronological
      Aspects of the Life of Christ" he presents the views for 1,2,3 & 4 years
      with a critique of each view. He then settles on the majority view.

      John is the only writer who lists passovers, other than the final one
      and Hoehners main objection to the one year theory is that John
      definitely mentions three passovers. He also states that, Origen, who
      held to the one year ministry was using a manuscript which did not
      mention the John 6:4 passover.

      In my study of John's use of the word feast, I found it used 17
      times(KJV) and in every case where a feast is mentioned there are events
      associated with the statement : EXCEPT for John 6:4. It hangs in mid air
      neither referring to anything before it or after it.

      I have two questions:
      1. Does anyone have an explanation for John 6:4? Why is it there?

      2. Is there a listing of ancient manuscripts which can be accessed
      or a comparison of these manuscripts which can tell you how many have
      John 6:4 in them and does it mention passover or just the word feast.

      I wish to thank anyone in advance for any light that can be shed on this
      issue.
    • Wieland Willker
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 11, 2000
        Jack Pilato wrote:
        > I have two questions:
        > 1. Does anyone have an explanation for John 6:4? Why is it there?

        a) Maybe the Passover time is an explanation for why so many people are
        arround. They want to go to Jerusalem?
        b) Wilckens: "In John the Passover is ALWAYS near."

        > 2. Is there a listing of ancient manuscripts which can be accessed
        > or a comparison of these manuscripts which can tell you how many have
        > John 6:4 in them and does it mention passover or just the word feast.

        All MSS have it, except that minuscles 472 and 850 omit the whole verse 6:4,
        and 28 and 1424 omit "the feast".

        Best wishes
        Wieland
        <><
        ------------------------
        Wieland Willker, Bremen, Germany
        mailto:willker@...-bremen.de
        http://www.uni-bremen.de/~wie/
      • Elizabeth Danna
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 11, 2000
          --- In johannine_literature@egroups.com, "Jack C. Pilato"
          <pilatojc@w...> wrote:
          > My name is Jack Pilato, I am a chemist but have been a student of
          the
          > Bible for the last 20 plus years. I am not affiliated with any
          > institution but I am interested in eliminating socalled bible
          > discrepancies.
          Welcome Jack to our little discussion group.

          > I have two questions:
          > 1. Does anyone have an explanation for John 6:4? Why is it
          there?
          It may be a simple temporal indicator, telling when this incident
          happened. But it is likely that there is more to it than this.
          Passover was a feast at which unleavened bread was eaten in memory of
          God's act in liberating the Jews from slavery in Egypt. At another
          Passover, Jesus will lay down his life to free his people from
          slavery to sin. John in his Gospel does not have the words of
          institution of the Eucharist in his account of the Last Supper, but
          it
          is likely that his original readers would have been reminded, as they
          read of the feeding of the 5,000 and the Bread-of-Life discourse
          which
          is connected with it, of the Lord's Supper which they celebrated when
          they met for worship. At the feeding Jesus gives bread, which
          sustains life; in the Bread-of-Life discourse it turns out that he
          himself is the bread, the source and sustenance of our spiritual
          life.
          "I am the living bread which has come down from heaven. Whoever eats
          of this bread will live forever; and the bread which I will give for
          the life of the world is my flesh...unless you eat the flesh of the
          Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. those who
          eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise
          them up on the last day; for my flesh is true food and my blood is
          true drink."(6:51,53-55) John in his mention of Passover at 6:4
          hints
          at all this. Time prohibits me from saying more at the moment, but
          any good commentary on the Gospel should have more. Meanwhile I hope
          that what I have said is helpful.

          Elizabeth Danna
        • lozada@universe.uiwtx.edu
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 14, 2000
            Tony:

            A very good book that is worth reading is: Juan Angel Onate-Ojeda, El
            Paraclito Y Notas Exegeticas Sobre La Santisima Trinidad en San Juan
            (Series Valentina 44; Valencia, 1998).

            Good luck!
            Francisco

            I am a doctoral student at St. Patrick's college Maynooth, preparing
            a paper on the Paraclete in John's Gospel. I am interested in
            canvassing some views from the group on the diverse meanings
            attributed to the word such as Comforter, Healer, Encourager,
            Advocate, the one who stands beside etc.

            Tony Hanna
          • Sean P. Kealy C.S.Sp
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 14, 2000
              Dear Tony, The writings of Felix Porsch such as Pneuma und Wort (Frankfurt
              1974) are well worth reading on the Paraclete There is a review in the I
              TQ. Best wishes to Maynooth. Sean p. Kealy c.S.Sp.

              research interests to johannine_literature-subscribe@egroups.com