RE: [John_Lit] John's View of Jerusalem or "The City"

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2006
      Thanks Marco and Fred. As a parallel to "the City" in John, at least to follow the Ellul critique, you might look up Johannine references to "the world," as the Cosmos stands in opposition to the Revealer in Johannine theology and narrative.

      On Jerusalem, proper, see James Charlesworth's new collection, Jesus and Archaeology (Eerdmans, 2006), where over half the essays engage subjects particular to the Gospel of John.

      A particular book that takes up an Ellulian interpretation of John (theocracy versus technocracy), you might consider David J. Hawking's book, The Johannine World: Reflections on the Theology of the Fourth Gospel and Contemporary Society (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1996). You might also consider Bultmann's treatment of the Revealer's scandalization of the World in his second volume of The Theology of the New Testament and make applications from there.

      All the best with your work!

      Paul Anderson