the Hour in 4G

  • Marco V. Fabbri
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 30, 2006
      Tom,

      I thank you, too, for your patience and for your contributions.

      I appreciated your view of the meaning of the hour. As you know very well,
      C.H. Dodd's book "The Interpretation of the Fourth Gospel" stresses the
      importance of John 13,1, that declares what the hour of Jesus consists of:
      "Jesus knew that his hour had come to pass from this world to the Father".

      You quote from Brown, who says that he doubts that the hour has a structural
      function, and you disagree with him. I share your view. There are clear
      statements that the hour hasn't come in John 2,4; 7,30;

      However, I was uncertain what to do of the repeated statement that the hour
      has come. We do not find it only in 13,1, but also before that at 12,23.

      Moreover, in John 4,23; 5,25 Jesus says that "the hour is coming, and is now
      here." What does NUN = "now" mean? Some say that it means that the hour is
      imminent. Ok, the context requires that; but we still need to explain why
      the Evangelist refers to the hour at that point.

      You provided an aswer to this. I thank you very much for this insight.

      I will now examine them as markers at the end of portions.

      In fact, I am especially interested in understanding how a progress is
      marked as the story unfolds from John 5 to John 11. This can be difficult to
      grasp. Jesus makes signs, some or many believe in him, but then they turn
      their back to him. This happens various times. Is any progress stalled until
      the Hour comes? Or can we appreciate a progress?

      A change can be easily grasped in chapter 6. After the speech about the
      Bread of Life, and sepcifically after Jesus says that he will give his Flesh
      so that they eat it and his Blood so that they drink it, many disciples
      abandon him. The twelve remain. (As you note, John doesn't not use the word
      apostle to refer to a particular group; I add that he prefers to sepak of
      the twelve). So, it is clear that in chapter 6 something important happens,
      an happens only once. But what about chapter 5, and chapters 7 and the
      following?

      You provide to me an insight into this: the reader is encouraged to stop and
      think whenever the hour is mentioned. It remains true that the signs can't
      win to Jesus permanent disciples. They come to faith, but they don't remain
      faithful. It is possible that the Evangelist is preparing the reader for the
      change that is brought about by the coming of the hour when Jesus passes
      from this world. The reader become increasingly aware that signs are not the
      answer. They point to something, that still needs to be fully revealed.

      I would be interested in hearing more thought of yours about the hour.

      Marco

      --
      Prof. Marco V. Fabbri

      e-mail: mv.fabbri@...