[John_Lit] Re: The dependence of John on one or more Synoptics?

  • Kym Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 2006
      Dear Peter,

      Thank you for breaking your silence and giving some encouragement. I
      am sorry but I am not familiar with your publications. If I had a
      command of German I am sure I would be. (I am often made aware of my
      ignorance on this list). Like my work on the structure of John I have
      gone where no one has gone and so have not really been able to use
      much material from elsewhere.

      I'd rather wait for the book to be available so that those interested
      can see the whole argument rather than try to put it out piecemeal.
      What I am prepared to say is that it claims that there was an
      apostolic attempt to expand Mark and produce a comprehensive gospel (I
      have called this AEEMark – Apostles' and Eyewitnesses' Expansion of
      Mark) but, for various reasons, this attempt was abandoned. Had
      AEEMark been completed it would have been `the' gospel and so
      superseded Mark that it is unlikely that the smaller gospel would have
      survived. It would also have meant that Matthew, Luke and John would
      probably not have been written at all. When it was abandoned, that
      same group produced John and commissioned Matthew and Luke to do
      lesser versions of what they originally intended (i.e. expansions of
      Mark).

      What is most exciting is that there are literary clues which make it
      possible to reconstruct AEEMark to the point that it was abandoned. As
      I have said, it is John that has provided the key to this.

      I will let you – and the list – know when it is ready.

      Best wishes,

      Kym Smith
      St Luke's Anglican Church
      Adelaide