Re: [John_Lit] Peter, the stone of Jesus/Joshua, the northern Messiah

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 18, 2006
      From: "Matson, Mark (Academic)" <MAMatson@...>
      To: <johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 4:22 PM
      Subject: RE: [John_Lit] Peter, the stone of Jesus/Joshua, the northern
      Messiah

      > Jack:
      >
      > IF there were really a longer ending to Mark that has been transferred
      > to the end of John, it has been completely reworked by a Johannine
      > editor to fit the stylistic features of John.

      Of course.

      > There are so many marks
      > of Johannine style in this section it is amazing. While many of the
      > grammatical features are possible in Mark, the stacking up of so many
      > makes it thoroughly Johannine:
      > use of Simon Peter (and declining Simon)
      > use of agapaw
      > use of amen, amen
      > historical present use of legw, especially legei autwi
      > simple paratactic construction for dialogue
      > I suspect a more thorough analysis would show more.
      >
      > But this can't be a simple matter of an ending of Mark transferred over
      > to John 21; it would have to have been completely reworked by someone
      > thoroughly steeped in John's language (or reworked by the evangelist
      > John himself; and yes I know ch 21 is supposed to be a late edition.
      > But it does seem stylistically Johannine.)

      John 21 is continuous with Mark 16 with the disciples returning to Galilee.
      It is discontinous with John 20 where a resurrection appearance had already
      occurred. John 21 is an account of a FIRST appearance. The 3-fold question
      of 21:15-17 is a rehabilitation of Peter's 3-fold denial in Mark. The
      Gospel of Mark anticipates a 1st appearance in the Galilee and a restoration
      of Peter...both found in John 21. The linguistic style of Johannine editors
      would be expected after the rewriting of the text of Mark 16. John 21 would
      display BOTH Johannine and Synoptic styles, which it does. The first
      manuscript evidence of Ch. 21 is in P66 from the beginning of the 3rd
      century, yet Tertullian, not long before, used a Gospel of John without
      Chapter 21. There is an excellent treatment of this issue in "The
      Unfinished Gospel" by Evan Powell, 1994 Symposium Books.

      Jack

      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 18, 2006
        Colleagues, interesting issues, here!

        At the SNTS meetings in Halle last summer a paper was presented on the
        relation between John 21 and 6, arguing for its integrity within the
        original composition of John. Indeed, many parallels and connections do
        exist between those two chapters.

        As the discussion developed, though, given the likelihood that John 6
        was itself added to an earlier edition, that factor actually bolstered
        the view that John 21 was also a later addition. No inference was made,
        though, that it was a non-Johannine addition--the stylistic and textual
        evidence is weak on that score.

        Paul Anderson

        johannine_literature-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >> > PROBLEMS?: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >> > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
        >> > Yahoo! Groups Links
        >> >

        >> SUBSCRIBE: e-mail johannine_literature-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        >> PROBLEMS?: e-mail johannine_literature-owner@yahoogroups.com
        >> MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
        >>
        >> Yahoo! Groups Links

        > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bill Bullin
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 19, 2006
          It would be interesting to here views on the characteristics and style of
          John 6: 21. It is noteworthy that the previous verse contains one of the
          christlogically loaded 'I am' statements of the Fourth Gospel.

          On the theme of the Northern Messiah, the Fourth Gospel's last supper scene
          reflects many points of contact with the life of Joseph, Wisdom 10:13-16a
          and the Aramaic Targum on Joseph's Blessing. As a taster, vs 25 of the
          Targum concludes: "May all these blessings come and fashion a crown of
          honour on the head of Joseph, on the forehead of the pious man who was the
          Lord and Prince in the country of Egypt, but who was careful of his father
          and the glory of his bretheren", cf John 17.

          Bill Bullin (Private Student, England).

          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 19, 2006
            An interesting thing about John 6:16-21 is that as well as being more
            theophanic than the Markan epiphanic presentation (see longer
            discussions elsewhere), it also seems more primitive and undeveloped
            from a narratological standpoint.

            The boats coming from Tiberias (vss. 22-24) also seems to locate the
            feeding on the other side of the lake, which is interesting--that's
            where the feeding of the 4,000 came to be associated in the developing
            local tradition.

            Paul Anderson

            > At the SNTS meetings in Halle last summer a paper was presented on the
            > relation between John 21 and 6, arguing for its integrity within the
            > original composition of John. Indeed, many parallels and connections
            do
            > exist between those two chapters.
            >
            > As the discussion developed, though, given the likelihood that John 6
            > was itself added to an earlier edition, that factor actually bolstered
            > the view that John 21 was also a later addition. No inference was
            made,
            > though, that it was a non-Johannine addition--the stylistic and
            textual
            > evidence is weak on that score.
            >
            > Paul Anderson

            MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • John Bailey
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 20, 2006
              Thank you Joe,

              That subtle nuance is wonderful.
              The significance of the event
              is made all the more valuable for me.

              It takes time to appreciate it,
              but what a magical forum this is.

              Love to all you beautiful people,
              John.

              > John Bailey wrote:
              >
              > >Hi Jo, Tom and All,
              > >
              > >Might be worth calling to mind the post resurrection
              > >scene where Jesus makes a point of asking Peter
              > >three times whether he loves him.
              > >
              > >This is a form of atonement
              > >for the the three denials?
              > >
              > >Love, John.
              > >

              > >--- In johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com, Tom Butler
              > ><pastor_t@> wrote:
              > >

              > >>Joe,
              > >> I tried to use the link you provided. It didn't
              > >>work, but referred me to fourthgospel.com. I went
              > >>there and found one paper written by you on
              > >>Witnessing. Is that the one to which you are
              > >>referring?
              > >>
              > >>Tom Butler

              > Yours in Christ's service
              > >
              > Tom Butler
              > >

              > I to have read Father Brown's passage, and I concur that he felt
              that Jesus was
              > restoring Peter after the three denials. I believe, however, that
              the
              > passage carries a great deal more than that
              > as we often find in this gospel. Please note that in the Greek
              text
              > Jesus asks Peter Do you love (agape) me and
              > Peter replies both times that he loves (philein) Jesus. The third
              time
              > Jesus states You mean that you have a (philein)
              > love. This upsets Peter when he realizes the difference between
              what
              > Jesus said and how he responded. I believe
              > that Jesus was asking Peter whether the love came from the type of
              love
              > that is willing to give his all, and Peter
              > replies that his love is more of an affection love. The scene here
              is at
              > the Sea of Tiberias, and the apostles had
              > returned to their first devotion, that of fishing. They had not
              stayed
              > in Jerusalem as they had been told, but had
              > returned to their old homes. They will then return to Jerusalem as
              noted in the Synoptics.
            • John Bailey
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 23, 2006
                Hi All,

                Regarding this thrice saying,
                in 2 Corinthians 12:5-9 Paul too appears to
                embrace the idea of its efficacy.

                Has anyone any research on
                Jewish or Christian literature from this time,
                that illustrates in what manner such a spell is uttered?

                Why not twice ...or four times?
                I feel that there is some
                further significance to be gained here.

                Love to All,
                John.
              • Tony Costa
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 23, 2006
                  It seems that three is the number of direct emphasis. The same applies to
                  the 'trisagion', "holy, holy, holy" (Isa.6:3; Rev.4:8).

                  Tony Costa
                  Toronto, Canada

                  > in 2 Corinthians 12:5-9 Paul too appears to
                  > embrace the idea of its efficacy.
                  >
                  > Has anyone any research on
                  > Jewish or Christian literature from this time,
                  > that illustrates in what manner such a spell is uttered?
                  >
                  > Why not twice ...or four times?
                  > I feel that there is some
                  > further significance to be gained here.
                  >
                  > Love to All,
                  > John.

                  > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Bill Bullin
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 24, 2006
                    Hi John

                    It is interesting that you use the term 'spell'. There is a wealth of Jewish
                    spells to be found in the ancient Greek magic papyri. Several features to
                    note are the use of 'power names', the use of special numbers and the use of
                    palindromes and reflective numbers. In my view this forms part of the
                    background to Christian formula. Spells could be places in arm and forehead
                    bindings, could be written, the ink washed off and the water drunk or
                    inscribed on bread to be consumed. In my view the invocation of the divine
                    name, YHWH was considered the most powerful (and therfore potentially the
                    most blasphemous and dangerous invocation of all). I therefore believe that
                    when Jesus was given 'the name above all names', it was not merely a name or
                    title but the highest protective / healing and 'magical' power name that
                    could be invoked for protective and cleansing Baptism, for healing and for
                    rebuke. The link between Names and numbers in Jewish magic relates to the
                    gematria and the numbering of each of the Hebrew letters. The name, YHWH
                    carries the number 26 as evidenced in Psalm 136 with its 26 refrains. The
                    Hebrew word Wisdom carries the numbers 37 and 73 and the Prayer of Azariah
                    consequently carries 37 refrains because Wisdom or the Divine Presence
                    appeared with the three men in the furnace.

                    Bill Bullin (Private Student, England).

                    > in 2 Corinthians 12:5-9 Paul too appears to
                    > embrace the idea of its efficacy.
                    >
                    > Has anyone any research on
                    > Jewish or Christian literature from this time,
                    > that illustrates in what manner such a spell is uttered?
                    >
                    > Why not twice ...or four times?
                    > I feel that there is some
                    > further significance to be gained here.
                    >
                    > Love to All,
                    > John.

                    > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Tom Butler
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 24, 2006
                      Fred, Joe, Jack, Mark, Paul, Bill, John et al...

                      I'm enjoying the exchange regarding the three times
                      *Do you love me* inquirey and response between Jesus
                      and Peter in John 21: 15-17.

                      Rather than seeing magic in the three-fold exchange,
                      I see words of ordination.

                      (1) *boske ta arnia mou* (Feed my lambs) suggests
                      that Jesus is recognizing Peter as a shepherd of His
                      (Jesus') flock. It recalls the symbolism Jesus uses
                      in Jn. 10 in reference to Himself and *His own.*

                      I see this as an ordination to the role of deacon,
                      based upon the task required of Peter: feeding the
                      little lambs, ie: the children. The "children" in
                      Johannine literature are the members, especially the
                      newest members, of the community (the household).

                      (2) *poimaine ta probata mou* (Tend my sheep).

                      I suggest that there is a nuance of difference here
                      from the first "ordination." What Jesus is ordaining
                      Peter to do here is more than delivering the food (the
                      sacrament? the gospel?) to them. He is ordaining
                      Peter to rule the sheep (a term that includes both the
                      newest and the more *mature* members of the community)
                      like a shepherd tends, guides, directs, protects *the
                      flock.* I submit that this is an ordination to the
                      role of elder.

                      (3) *baske ta probata mou* (Feed my sheep) may imply
                      a third level of ordination, though this one is harder
                      to see.

                      As many of you know, I see in Jn. 12: 7 Jesus'
                      words of ordination of Mary of Bethany (the Beloved
                      Disciple) to a role among the disciples equivalent to
                      that of bishop in the first century church (See my Let
                      Her Keep It: Jesus' Ordination of Mary of Bethany)

                      Recognizing that Jn. 21 is an addendum to the
                      gospel, and that this three-fold exchange occurs
                      between Jesus and Peter just before Peter asks Jesus,
                      "Lord, what about him?" (meaning the BD),
                      I suggest that this third utterance by Jesus was
                      intended to ordain Peter to the same level of
                      authority within the Johannine community as had
                      already been given to Mary of Bethany, that of Bishop.
                      "Feed my sheep," may well suggest that the role
                      involves offering the spiritual food given in the
                      Jesus tradition, which the Bishop oversees.

                      I suspect that it was necessary for the sake of
                      gaining acceptance of the Gospel within the
                      established *orthodox* (ie: Petrine) church, to
                      acknowledge that Peter had been fully authorized by
                      Jesus. Also, I suspect that this message was added to
                      the Gospel to convey to the scattered members of the
                      Johannine community the necessity of recognizing
                      Peter's authority.

                      The text (esp. Jn. 21: 20-23) makes it clear that
                      Peter's ordination does not negate or supersede that
                      of the Beloved Disciple.