Re: [John_Lit] Overview Query

  • David A. Reed
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2006
      Dear Larry,

      If you're looking for a more conservative answer to the date and
      authroship questions, check out Craig Blomberg's /The Historical
      Reliability of the Gospel of John/. There's about 10 pages or so on the
      authorship, provenance, and date questions. Another good summary is to
      be found in Raymond Brown's /An Introduction to the Gospel of John/
      edited and updated by Francis J. Moloney.

      I've been quite intrigued as of late by Richard Bauckham's work on John,
      especially that found in /The Gospel for All Christians/.

      Hope that helps...

      Davd A. Wheeler-Reed
      Regis College, University of Toronto

      --
      Cheers,

      David

      PhD Candidate, Toronto
      24 Lawrence Avenue East
      Lower
      Toronto, Ontario M4N 1S1
      (416) 481-9593

      e-mail: da.reed@...

      homepage: http://www.individual.utoronto.ca/dareedhmpg
    • Jeffrey B. Gibson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2006
        Larry Swain wrote:

        > I'm a little out of the loop these days, more's the pity for me. I was
        > wondering what are the current views of authorship of the Gospel and
        > Epistles and if they have substantially changed in the last say 6 years?
        > Apologies for the essentially basic question.

        Get ahold of _The Face of New Testament Studies: A Survey of Recent Research_
        edited by Scot McNight and Grant Osbourne (Baker, 2004). There's an article
        there on "The Johannine Gospel in Recent Research" by Klaus Scholtissek that
        looks like what you are looking for.

        Jeffrey
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)