Re: [John_Lit] Where did John baptise: Bethany or Bethabara? (Jn1:28)

  • Jeffrey B. Gibson
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2006
      Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:

      > Dear friends,
      >
      > Thank you for all your valuable comments in regard to my article.
      >
      > While researching about Bethabara, I came across an interesting note
      > in Eusebius' Onomasticon.
      >
      > Here's what he said, according to the following website,
      >
      > [quote]
      >
      > Eusebius of Caesarea, Onomasticon (1971) Translation. pp. 1-75.
      > http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/eusebius_onomasticon_02_trans.htm
      >
      > Bethaabara (Bethabara). "Where John was baptizing" (the penitent)
      > "across the Jordan." The place is pointed out where many of the
      > brothers even now consider it an honor to wash. (Where today many of
      > the brothers, the believers, desiring a renewal of life are baptized
      > in the Depths.)
      >
      > [unquote]
      >
      > Now I'm not sure what are these words in parentheses, is it some
      > alternative translation?

      I think it's just Roger's transliteration.

      > Does someone have the original Greek for this quote?

      Yes. But may I ask that the next time you ask for a Greek text, you give the
      full reference of the text you are looking for (i.e., Onamasticon 58.18)?. It
      makes it a lot easier to find.

      In any case, the text reads:

      BHQAABARA Jn 1, 28 OPOU HN IWANNAS BAPTIZWN, PERAN TOU IORDANOU. KAI DEIKNUTAI
      hO TOPOS EN, EN hW KAI PLEIOUS TWN ADELFWN EIS ETI NUN TO LOUTRON FILOTIMOUNTAI
      LAMBANEIN

      > Eusebius' words seem to indicate that Bethabara was "across the
      > Jordan", and that this was a place for baptism. But I'm not quite sure
      > if the word "wash" means the same as "baptism" for Eusebius. I think
      > we need the Greek text to understand fully what he is saying.

      Have at it.

      BTW, before you argue from this text anything about the originality of
      BHQAABARA for Jn 1:28, are you sure that Eusebius is not relying on Origen here?

      JG
      --
      Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
      1500 W. Pratt Blvd.
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2006
        "Jeffrey B. Gibson" wrote:

        > BHQAABARA Jn 1, 28 OPOU HN IWANNAS BAPTIZWN, PERAN TOU IORDANOU. KAI DEIKNUTAI
        > hO TOPOS EN, EN hW KAI PLEIOUS TWN ADELFWN EIS ETI NUN TO LOUTRON FILOTIMOUNTAI
        > LAMBANEIN

        Make that KAI DEIKNUTAI hO TOPOS, EN hW KTL.

        JG
        --
        Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon)
        1500 W. Pratt Blvd.