Re: [John_Lit] Where did John baptise: Bethany or Bethabara? (Jn 1:28)

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13 1:39 PM
      Dear friends,

      Thank you for all your valuable comments in regard to my article.

      While researching about Bethabara, I came across an interesting note
      in Eusebius' Onomasticon.

      Here's what he said, according to the following website,

      [quote]

      Eusebius of Caesarea, Onomasticon (1971) Translation. pp. 1-75.
      http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/eusebius_onomasticon_02_trans.htm

      Bethaabara (Bethabara). "Where John was baptizing" (the penitent)
      "across the Jordan." The place is pointed out where many of the
      brothers even now consider it an honor to wash. (Where today many of
      the brothers, the believers, desiring a renewal of life are baptized
      in the Depths.)

      [unquote]

      Now I'm not sure what are these words in parentheses, is it some
      alternative translation?

      Does someone have the original Greek for this quote?

      Eusebius' words seem to indicate that Bethabara was "across the
      Jordan", and that this was a place for baptism. But I'm not quite sure
      if the word "wash" means the same as "baptism" for Eusebius. I think
      we need the Greek text to understand fully what he is saying.

      Some clarification would be welcome.

      All the best,

      Yuri.

      Baqqesh shalom verodpehu -- Seek peace and pursue it (Psalm 34:15)

      Yuri Kuchinsky -- http://www.trends.ca/~yuku/bbl/bbl.htm -- Toronto