Festivals in John's Gospel

  • Stan Harstine
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
      I will be teaching The Gospel of John during the Spring at Friends
      University for the first time. I would like to use the Jewish Festivals as
      one entry point into the study of the Gospel. Has anyone come across a
      pertinent section in a commentary or reading that focuses on the Festivals?

      Thanks. Hopefully I can engage the group in this topic during the spring.

      Stan Harstine
      Wichita, Kansas

    • Timothy P. Jenney
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2005
        Stan,

        See Jewish Feasts and the Gospel of John (Zacchaeus Studies : New Testament)
        by Gale A. Yee Other Editions: Paperback - December 1988.

        It's now out of print, but you might include it in a course pack, with the
        publisher's permission of course.

        Timothy P. Jenney
        Adj. NT Prof.
        Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando

        > From: Stan Harstine <harstine@...>
        > Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 12:33:14 -0600
        > To:
        > "johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com"<johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com>
        > Subject: [John_Lit] Festivals in John's Gospel
        >
        > I will be teaching The Gospel of John during the Spring at Friends
        > University for the first time. I would like to use the Jewish Festivals as
        > one entry point into the study of the Gospel. Has anyone come across a
        > pertinent section in a commentary or reading that focuses on the Festivals?
        >
        > Thanks. Hopefully I can engage the group in this topic during the spring.
        >
        > Stan Harstine
        > Wichita, Kansas

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Tom Butler
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
          Stan,
          I have devoted a chapter to this issue in my book,
          Let Her Keep It (Quantum Leap Publishers, 1998). My
          point there is that "oracles" used in the Mosaic
          ordinances for these festivals are woven into the
          Johannine text as "signs." This supports my thesis
          that the Gospel writer(s) saw the Jesus tradition as a
          fulfillment of the Mosaic tradition. The "oracles"
          (symbols associated with each festival) are included
          and re-defined within the Johannine text.
          Though his work (like mine) is not generally
          accepted among scholars, John Shelby Spong addresses
          the idea that the Gospels were written in order to
          provide scripture readings from the Jesus tradition to
          be used alongside of the traditional Hebrew texts used
          in the Jewish lectionary, which is follows the order
          of the festivals of sacrifice.

          Tom Butler

          --- Stan Harstine <harstine@...> wrote:

          > I will be teaching The Gospel of John during the
          > Spring at Friends University for the first time.
          > I would like to use the Jewish Festivals as one
          > entry point into the study of the Gospel. Has
          > anyone come across a pertinent section in a
          > commentary or reading that focuses on the Festivals?
          >
          > Thanks. Hopefully I can engage the group in this
          > topic during the spring.
          >
          > Stan Harstine
          > Wichita, Kansas

          > removed]
          >

          > SUBSCRIBE: e-mail
          > UNSUBSCRIBE: e-mail
          > PROBLEMS?: e-mail
          > MESSAGE ARCHIVE:

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tom Butler
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
            Stand and J-Lit Listers,
            Oops! I forgot to mention the title of Spong's book:
            Liberating the Gospels : Reading the Bible with Jewish
            Eyes.

            Tom Butler