Re: [John_Lit] Prologue As Midrash Part II

  • SemioticSymphony@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2005
      In a message dated 11/22/2005 10:53:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      pastor_t@... writes:

      The indicators that a midrash elaboration is being
      offered are found in my opinion in the key words: IN
      THE BEGINNING, LIGHT, and DARKNESS, and in the fact
      that the Prologue follows the pattern set in the Torah
      for the beginning of the first creation story. They
      point to the possibility that the prolog is an
      intentional elaboration on the older text, a midrash.

      Tom:

      I understand your contention, but literature of allusion and reference does
      not constitute "midrash," which, I would assert, is a far more aggressive
      phenomenon: midrash tends to conjure up intertextuality (a problematic term, but
      I mean it quite benignly here) inasmuch as midrashim "eats up" its target
      text, consumes it and makes it part of itself, in a way analagous to parasitism
      (though I would be more comfortable with "comensalism" as a gloss for
      parasitism). Midrash has a life of its own---it is not content to be merely a
      comment or an observation. In this sense, many of the Greek scriptures can be said
      to be midrash on some Hebrew scriptural texts.

      Best regards,
      Joe C.

      Joseph Calandrino