Re: [John_Lit] Prologue

  • Diane Yoder
    Message 1 of 120 , Nov 14, 2005
      Oh, sorry--I guess what I was trying to say is not that the word "logos" is the word used in Genesis 1, (the actual word is elohim). John is trying to get across that 'logos' (the Word) became a historical person, thus, as Kysar suggests the "abstract, the subjectively experienced, the myth has become and is person" (p. 30).

      Thank you for the admonition and the word of sophia...I am not a Biblical scholar, so we history students are not as adept at Greek as the rest of you are! My languages are Latin and German.

      best,
      Diane Yoder

      "Timothy P. Jenney" <drjenney@...> wrote:
      Diane,

      I haven't read Kysar's book, but do agree the prologue has more in common
      with Jewish thought than Greek philosophy.

      However, you might want to state your conclusions a bit more carefully, as
      neither Heb DBR nor Gk LOGOS are found in Gen. 1 in their respective texts.

      Tim Jenney
      ATS-Orlando

      > From: Diane Yoder
      > Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:44:42 -0500 (EST)
      > To: johannine_literature@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [John_Lit] Prologue
      >
      > Wow! Thanks to all of you for your contributions. I am reading Robert Kysar
      > who suggests in his book "John: The Maverick Gospel" that the Prologue in its
      > use of the word "logos" blends Jewish philosophical tradition with the Jewish
      > "dabar Yahweh" as the "Word of God bringing all existence into being" as
      > compared with Greek Stoic interpretation "as a sort of cosmic reason."
      >
      > I think then, from what all of you have said, there seems to be a reason to go
      > either way, or compromise on the two traditions. I can see where the "logos"
      > in John is directly comparable to the "logos" of Genesis, and consequently, my
      > take on it is that John seems to be saying that the "logos" of Genesis found
      > its fulfillment in the incarnation of Christ, and using John the Baptist in
      > verse 6 of the Prologue, shows he is a fulfillment of the prophecy of Isaiah
      > 40:3 (paralleled also to Mark 1.3, slightly changed from the actual verse in
      > Isaiah 40:3) "A voice cries out: In the wilderness prepare the way of the
      > Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God," which is why John B.
      > steps aside for Christ, (because he wants to) but also in acknowledgement of
      > this prophecy, which seems to be used to get the idea across that this is a
      > new Exodus, with Jesus the new Moses.
      >
      > I was glad to hear from those who haven't been seen on the list, at least by
      > myself! Thank you for your kindness!
      >
      > best,
      > Diane Yoder
      > University of Toronto School of Theology

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Matthew Estrada
      Message 120 of 120 , Dec 21, 2005
        I apologize for the last post. It was intended to be offline and personal. Please disregard. Thank you.

        Matthew Estrada <matt_estrada@...> wrote: Hello Mark,

        I am wondering if you had a chance to read through my paper? I know it is a poorly written paper, but I also believe the findings are very exciting, and if they could be presented in a more scholarly manner, could have some significant consequences in our understanding of the genre of at least John, and perhaps the others as well. I do appreciate your interest in my thesis, and would very much appreciate your feedback (and any help you might be willing to offer in getting these ideas out). What I consider to be the starting point is our understanding of John's symbolic use of the word "water", particularly in the first four chapters of the gospel. I ground my interpretation of the word "water" in what I consider to be one of many of John's source materials in the composition of the Cana Miracle (it has been used as a source material for other pericopes as well in John's gospel), namely Exodus 2. In that text, Moses- the first and greatest of the Law and the prophets- is so named
        because he was "drawn from the water". Moses is thus identified with water. In the first chapter of John's gospel, John has the Baptist state 3 times that he came baptizing with "water" (using the Synoptics as his source material, in my opinion), thus identifying the last and greatest of the Law and the prophets also with "water". "Water" thus takes on the meaning, for John, "the Law and the Prophets", or "the Father's means of revelation". If we accept this, and then apply this meaning to John's usage of "water" in the first 4 chapters, we see that John is comparing/contrasting "the Law and the Prophets" with "the Holy Spirit", who is a consequence of Jesus' ministry. He does so NOT to put down the Law and the Prophets. To the contrary, John upholds the Law and the Prophets, and in fact shows how the Law and the Prophets support/give testimony to Jesus' identity as the messiah. He also shows how the Holy Spirit is the God-intended fulfillment of both the Law and the Prophets and
        Jesus' ministry. What he does put down is "the Jews" interpretation and abuse of the Law and the Prophets. All of this really comes to light once one accepts John's meaning for "water" as the Law and the Prophets, and as a consequence, John's use of the Baptist as a personification of the Law and the Prophets.

        Sorry for going on so long, but there is so much there that I can go on for hours talking about how John uses his source materials to put together what I call an allegory. Again, I would really appreciate your careful reading of my paper, and then your comments, and any help you might offer. Sincerely, Matt Estrada

        "Matson, Mark (Academic)" wrote:
        Matthew:

        I am interested in your thesis. I would at least like to look at it, so
        please send it to me.

        I worry a little about the "Law" as a major counterpoint to Jesus as the
        word. It depends, though, on how you are using Law. It seems to me
        that "the Word" -- the conceptualization of Jesus -- bears some affinity
        to the concept of Torah. Certainly Torah and God's word are linked in
        various parts of the scripture. Even God's ten words in Exodus suggest
        something different that "law", but closer to the vital aspect of Jesus
        as God's agent.

        But if that linkage is correct, then what we have is closer to matthew's
        concept of Jesus coming to "fulfill" the law and the prophets. But in
        John's case, he "is" the Torah/Word, and he is witnessed by the
        prophets. (hence the witness theme that is so prevalent in John's
        gospel.) And certainly John the Baptist starts this whole theme of
        "witnessing" to Jesus as the word, as God's special agent.

        So I guess my concern is with your term "contrast and comparison" to the
        Law and the Prophets. It seems to me more positive than that. Or am I
        missing something? (of course all may be made clear if I read your
        paper).

        mark

        Mark A. Matson
        Academic Dean