Re: [John_Lit] Beloved Disciple

  • Diane Yoder
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2005
      Your explanation seems fairly thorough. I agree with your statement:

      By wiping his feet with her hair, Mary not only
      displays her devotion to her Lord, but is anointed
      herself. Her head is anointed with the same ointment
      (read: scent) as that which consecrates the feet of
      Jesus, her altar. This follows the pattern
      established in Ex. 30: 25-31 in which the same
      anointing oil used on the furnishings and utensils of
      the temple is used to consecrate the high priest and
      the chief priests.

      I submit that what Jesus instructs Judas (and the
      other disciples gathered in the house) to do is to
      allow Mary to keep the scent that identifies her with
      him. Specifically, her role, following his death,
      will be to keep the tradition of his death. She is to
      function among the disciples as a high priest, or in
      First Century terms, as a bishop, overseeing the
      community, seeing to it that the tradition is kept.

      It seems also to me one more demonstration of the fact that Mary 'gets it' while Judas (the disciple) does not.

      Diane Yoder, MA Historical Theology
      University of Toronto

      pastor_t@... wrote:
      Dear J-L Listers,
      The silence following my article on the ointment is deafening. What are
      you thinking?

      Yahoo! Groups Links