Beloved Disciple

  • chasrscott@netzero.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 14, 2005
      Tom:

      I liked very much what you wrote. The communion in which I serve has liturgical worship and a strong sense of tradition; so emotionally, your message spoke to me.

      It also drove me back to the books to see what the text says, which is a good thing. I suspect others are also having another look at this event in Jesus' life.

      Thank you,

      Charles Scott

      ----------------------------
      Dear J-L Listers,
      The silence following my article on the ointment is deafening. What are
      you thinking?

      Tom Butler
    • Diane Yoder
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 14, 2005
        Your explanation seems fairly thorough. I agree with your statement:

        By wiping his feet with her hair, Mary not only
        displays her devotion to her Lord, but is anointed
        herself. Her head is anointed with the same ointment
        (read: scent) as that which consecrates the feet of
        Jesus, her altar. This follows the pattern
        established in Ex. 30: 25-31 in which the same
        anointing oil used on the furnishings and utensils of
        the temple is used to consecrate the high priest and
        the chief priests.

        I submit that what Jesus instructs Judas (and the
        other disciples gathered in the house) to do is to
        allow Mary to keep the scent that identifies her with
        him. Specifically, her role, following his death,
        will be to keep the tradition of his death. She is to
        function among the disciples as a high priest, or in
        First Century terms, as a bishop, overseeing the
        community, seeing to it that the tradition is kept.

        It seems also to me one more demonstration of the fact that Mary 'gets it' while Judas (the disciple) does not.

        Diane Yoder, MA Historical Theology
        University of Toronto

        pastor_t@... wrote:
        Dear J-L Listers,
        The silence following my article on the ointment is deafening. What are
        you thinking?

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • deborahmillier
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 15, 2005
          Timothy J wrote:

          > I tell my students, "everything in 4G means
          > two things, except where it means three!"

          I can readily concur. Especially in John's Gospel!

          Shalom from Manila,
          --Michael