Sacraments in John? ("Christ plays in 10,000 places")?

  • Fred Guyette
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2005
      I am writing an essay on sacraments in John that I hope to publish later
      this year. I rehearse the "anti-sacraments" argument of Bultmann and the
      "pro-sacraments" argument of Cullmann. Other highlights: I try to indicate what Luther and
      Zwingli might have disagreed about in John 6. I think perhaps Sir Edwyn
      Hoskyns has the best approach to John 6, when he says that it is a
      sacramental chapter and that it assumes the eucharistic practices of the
      early church as "understood."

      I have come to a particular question, however, that I can't quite get a
      handle on, and I would appreciate comments from list members:

      Suppose you accept what I will call "the sacramental principle" of the
      Prologue: "The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us" -- does this lead
      you to a Gerard Manley Hopkins type of affirmation that "Christ plays in
      10,000 places"? What is there in John's gospel that keeps us from saying
      anything like this in our worship? Why do we say that there are just 2 or just 7 sacraments
      and not an "infinite number" of sacraments?

      I know there are creeds and catechisms that teach 2 or 7, but what do we
      find in John itself that "puts the brakes on"?

      Thank You,
      Fred Guyette
      Erskine College and Seminary