[John_Lit] Re: John 6

  • Jeffrey L. Staley
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2000
      > 4. And finally, does anyone have a clue for relating our week-long discussion of ch, 5, 6, and 20, 21 to the business of preaching? I ask
      > this without guile and have no axe to
      > grind...

      Another point or two about John 21 after John 20. While I agree that John 21 may, in fact, have at one time functioned to "answer" certain
      questions about the relationship between Johnanine and Petrine communities, I am convinced that it also is a more "openended" ending than
      John 20 would have been. To illustrate: Mark 16:8 is an "open ending" that is closed, tidied up by the multiplicity of additional endings
      exemplified by the textual variants of 16:9-20. However, the "closed, tidy" ending of John 20:30-31 is "opened up," problematized, by the
      "addition" of John 21. It is an ending that raises more questions than it solves, in the same way that ending Mark at 16:8 raises more
      questions than it solves.

      Along this line, I have long been fascinated by the fact that the "logos" who enters the world as having been "with God" and as having become
      flesh, and revealed the "father's honor" as only a father's special son can do (John 1:14)--leaves the story as a "rumor" spread among the
      disciples ("logos!" 21:23). What a difference between the way the word "logos" is used at the beginning of the story and how it is used at
      the end!