Re: [John_Lit] Paraclete & Shekinah

  • Q Bee
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2005
      On Sep 28, 2005, at 2:31 PM, Timothy P. Jenney wrote:

      > I do think there is a basic misconception in the following statement:
      >>
      >> If the Holy Spirit is 'Shekinah' or 'Sophia' (at least in the
      >> original
      >> conceptualization) and
      >
      > In the theology of 4G, it is not the Spirit that is primarily linked to
      > Shekinah, but Jesus himself.
      >
      > Here's my reasoning: the term at issue here is the word "glory." In
      > Hebrew
      > the term is kabod, in Aramaic shekinah, in Greek doxa ["x" is not a
      > "chi,"
      > but a zeta, I've forgotten the correct transliteration-I have a Mac and
      > generally just type the Greek]. The Greek word is common in 4G,
      > appearing as
      > a noun or verb a combined total of 42 times in 28 verses. This is more
      > than
      > twice the frequency of any of the other Gospels.

      Dear Tim,

      The Shekinah 'glory' or 'radiance' is associated to the Christ as the
      revealed presence of the Holy Spirit or as a revealed state of higher
      consciousness, the 'seventh heaven' so to speak, as it is depicted in
      iconography; for example, in the Transfiguration or the Resurrection
      icons, etc. Please see:
      http://www.monasteryicons.com/monasteryicons/Icons-of-the-Great-
      Feasts_M11/Item_Transfiguration_447_ps_cti-M11.html

      However, in rabbinical studies (sorry I can't quote the source
      instantly, but have discussed this with rabbis and rabbinical students)
      "Shekinah" is understood as God's 'wife' or feminine counterpart, the
      Holy Spirit, in early Judaism. Also note in John 14 Jesus says that
      the Father will send the Spirit in his name, and that this is tandem
      with Jesus' going away and coming back to the disciples.

      (Snip)

      > The evidence is that one early conception of Jesus may well have been
      > as the
      > human embodiment of the Shekinah [not the Spirit].

      It seems that they are one and the same.

      Elaine