  • Q Bee
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2005
      On Sep 26, 2005, at 8:03 PM, Bob MacDonald wrote:

      > What is the relationship if any between naham (sorrow,
      > repentance) and naham the root of comfort?

      > It occurred to me reading Crossley about repentance that as
      > there is a translation discontinuity between the repentance
      > of ‘thinking again’ and ‘turning’, and a distinction of the
      > re-turning of the Jews vs the change of mind of the
      > Gentiles, so also there is a concept of repentance brought
      > about by the presence of the Spirit (John 16:8)
      Since the word "repent" is not used in 4G there is a difficulty in
      associating the word 'nacham' with 'repent' in the sense of turning
      from a former state of mind. Instead, John the Baptist calls for those
      who would prepare to 'make straight the way of the Lord', which is in
      some sense perhaps, to keep from turning about, or desist from

      I had formerly written this quote from Klotz (If Klotz is not
      considered a legitimate source, please disregard):
      First, the word usually translated as "repent" can also mean to return,
      come again, flow back, ebb. Its roots show something that turns or
      returns (T), as though in a circle or spiral, to its origin or to its
      original rhythm (AB). In the Hebrew-Aramaic sense, to repent means to
      unite with something by affinity, because it feels like going home.

      At any rate, we might consider repentance as a turning from former
      ways, return to a true path.
      'Repent' as turning or returning leads me to speculate about the times
      that the word 'turned' is used in 4G and what the sense might have been
      in the original language for the following:

      1:38: Jesus turned and saw them following him ...
      20:14: When she had said this she turned around and saw Jesus there...
      20:16: She turned to him and said to him [in Hebrew]...

      The three passages above use the word "STREPHO" 4762 for 'turned'.

      21:20: Peter turned and saw the disciple following whom Jesus loved,...

      In this case the word translated as 'turned' is "EPISTREPHO" 1994.
      ISTM that this usage of the word 'turned' signifies something more akin
      to 'turning in the wrong manner', as Peter is turning in order to cause
      separation by questioning whether the beloved disciple should be among
      them and is chastised by Jesus.

      But, in the case of 20:14 & 20:16, the two occasion where MM turns may
      be related to "Shuwb" 7725 found in the Song of Songs 7:1: Turn, turn,
      O Shulammite, turn, turn, that we may look at you.

      Since 4G is a book of signs I think that there is some merit in looking
      at the potential connection between the types of 'turning' that are
      going on.