[John_Lit] John 6

  • Fred Guyette
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2000
      Friends,
      I have been following our discussion of John 6, but thinking mostly
      along different lines.
      This story is scheduled for our lectionary this Sunday, so I do have an
      immediate interest,
      but also a longer term "faithful" interest -- in almost the same breath,
      I think of this different
      interest as more academic than "devotional" hence, for this list rather
      than the list that split off
      about a year ago... I have been asking myself which type of faith the
      composer of John admires
      most in the miracle of the bread and loaves. The crowds follow Jesus
      because of his power to
      heal and the possibility of unlimited bread -- they will soon turn back
      and follow Jesus no more.
      Philip's faith is limited, too -- he looks at the challenge and says
      basically "It Can't Be Done."
      Andrew's faith is better, he brings the young boy to Jesus with his two
      "opsarion" and five loaves,
      but then adds "What are they among so many?" Finally, it the boy's faith
      that is exemplary, because
      he does not hoard his lunch, but sees something in Jesus that makes him
      give up the food that he had
      a perfect right to keep to himself.

      So, my questions are these:

      1. What would you call a "literary" reading like this -- I think of it
      as "actantial" in the way Griemas
      might have approved of, or "narratalogical" -- Is that accurate enough?

      2. Can you think of commentaries or articles that might encourage a
      "faithful" reading like the one
      I am pursuing here?

      3. Or is this a "devotional" approach that fits better on the other
      list?

      4. And finally, does anyone have a clue for relating our week-long
      discussion of ch, 5,6, and 20,21 to
      the business of preaching? I ask this without guile and have no axe to
      grind...

      Thank You,
      Fred Guyette (normally a lurker)
      Erskine College and Seminary